store my glass carboy in a compost plastic ton?

Any hardware used for mashing, fermenting or aging.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Fredistiller
Site Donor
Site Donor

store my glass carboy in a compost plastic ton?

Post by Fredistiller »

Hi,

I finally bought bigger glass carboys of 10L with a very big cork, and cleared the shelter outside the house to store them. At first I thought of constructing a wooden "box" to put my carboys out of the UV and the neighbours sight... but I remembered I have old compost tons. It looks perfect! I can fit 7 carboys in it, it's ventilated from the bottom to the top and no UV can reach directly my spirit. Could some plastic smell go to my spirit or is it ok? I would like to avoid the work of making a wooden box...

How my compost ton looks like
How my compost ton looks like
Last edited by Fredistiller on Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Re: store my glass carboy in a compost plastic ton?

Post by Yummyrum »

What is in your carboys ? Are you just fermenting in them or are you storing finished spirit .
Fredistiller
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Fredistiller »

Yummyrum wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:59 am What is in your carboys ? Are you just fermenting in them or are you storing finished spirit .
I plan to store my finished spirit.
Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Tummydoc »

You should be fine and experience decent temperature cycling which i think assists aging. If you plan on stacking carboys I'd make sure there's a wood sheet between them. May not be necessary but glass on glass stacking sounds like an impending mistake.
Fredistiller
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Fredistiller »

Tummydoc wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:03 am You should be fine and experience decent temperature cycling which i think assists aging.
With hygrometric changes, that's all the idea of keeping my spirits outside.
Tummydoc wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:03 am If you plan on stacking carboys I'd make sure there's a wood sheet between them. May not be necessary but glass on glass stacking sounds like an impending mistake.
that was the plan, making some "floor" between the carboys :thumbup:
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

I can see the look on your mothers face when she goes to empty the Kitchen compost bin you . :D

But come to think if it , if it had a false floor in it , and you did compost on top , sounds like a cunning place to hid a lot of ageing product :thumbup:

Seriously though ,sounds like you will mist likely have them sealed , so I don’t think there will be any issues with having a plastic bin over them.
Fredistiller
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Fredistiller »

Yummyrum wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:30 pm I can see the look on your mothers face when she goes to empty the Kitchen compost bin you . :D

But come to think if it , if it had a false floor in it , and you did compost on top , sounds like a cunning place to hid a lot of ageing product :thumbup:

Seriously though ,sounds like you will mist likely have them sealed , so I don’t think there will be any issues with having a plastic bin over them.
:mrgreen: :D

Thanks for your answer!
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

there have been several posts about storing in glass and losing finished product to breakage, including an

earthquake. :cry: :cry: use caution and good luck :thumbup:
be water my friend