Getting that boat?

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

v-child
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Getting that boat?

Post by v-child »

Congrats! Have backups for everything important- to avoid Murphy's law.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

There better be, John! In fact, I just finished some Cachacha for on the boat.

BH, thanks. The boat needs a paint job coming winter. New anodes the season after that.

Regards, Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
Hambone
Rumrunner

Post by Hambone »

Congratulations, Odin
Last edited by Hambone on Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Good judgement is the result of experience.

Experience is usually the result of bad judgement..
Hambone
Rumrunner

Post by Hambone »

v-child wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:49 am Congrats! Have backups for everything important- to avoid Murphy's law.
“Two is one, and one is none...”
Good judgement is the result of experience.

Experience is usually the result of bad judgement..
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

image.jpg
0afcb6de-86e1-45f1-8a2b-4883c7f1df7a.jpg
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
BusyHive
Novice

Post by BusyHive »

Looks magnificent Odin. I see you have something to put in those cup holders :D

Happy sailing!

Cheers,

John
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Yeah. Since my son is getting married beginning of September, and the family in law will be over ... I have some 50 liters of rum, 250 liters of gin, 150 liters of akvavit, and 500 liters of vodka "at their service". ;)

I better bring some onboard prior to their arrival ...

Odin.
v-child
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by v-child »

I can see a gimbal-mounted pot still in your future.
Yonder
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Yonder »

Very, very nice Odin. Good layout but i’d remove that hook off the galley passageway, a sure bruiser in any sort of seas. Really a great vessel.
Double, Double, toil and trouble. Fire Burn and pot still bubble.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

I think I see what you mean. I'll check it out the day after tomorrow, when we will start our first trip.

Odin.
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

So awesome you can keep her just 10 minutes from home. It will be so nice to be able to just slip down to the slip and play captain.

hope you get to spend many hours enjoying her company.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Thanks mate! Yeah, that's the plan. Being able to push her off from the dock and out on the water in no-time. Just so that a nice summers evening can be spent boating. Instead of driving to and from.

Odin.
Yonder
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Yonder »

Odin, following seas and a pleasant breeze. Best wishes for your vessel.
Double, Double, toil and trouble. Fire Burn and pot still bubble.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Thanks Yonder.

Odin.
Royco
Bootlegger

Post by Royco »

shadylane wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:34 pm The happiest time is when you buy a boat
The next happiest time is when you get to sell it.

So, I'm told :lol:
Odin don't believe this old cliché! If you buy well and maintain well you will have much joy.
The happiest day was when I bought my first Catamaran in 2005. Living (then) in Durban it was a great learning experience as the S.E. and South coast of South Africa can be treacherous. Also, there was nowhere to go for a daysail so it became a bit boring.
So, after six years I sold her to a friend in Cape Town and it was actually a very sad day.

Then the opportunity arose to buy a 45' Lagoon cat with a partner and we set up a company in Split, Croatia to charter the boat and we would take a few weeks a year when it wasn't booked. Therefore it "washes its face" and we get to have free sailing.

Odin your boat is a real beauty. I wish you many years of happiness and I'm sure you will not he overjoyed if ever you need to sell!
Royco.

PS I have toyed with the idea of changing to a powered boat. Easier to handle, now I am over seventy and my wife is not happy with just the two of
us. It's great fun sailing with friends/family, but sometimes nice to be just you and partner as you will be doing.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Split in Croatia is beautiful. And I think it will give you more day trips. You could basically hop from one island to another. I intend to end up there for sure! Not this season, but maybe next? We already spent some time at Trogir, which is very close to Split, a few years ago, and loved it!

I agree with you bashing the "happiest day" cliche. I foresee my happiest days will be ON the boat.

Odin.
Dewstiller
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dewstiller »

So Awesome! Clean as a Whistle! All the best to you!
Dewstiller
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dewstiller »

I sincerely hope this clip does not offend anyone in any way. I have grown old around boats my whole life and it's always my most favorite, simple past-time.

Stupid Comedy, from a great American movies series years ago but it kind of encapsulates boat ownership.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Odin wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:32 am Yeah. Since my son is getting married beginning of September, and the family in law will be over ... I have some 50 liters of rum, 250 liters of gin, 150 liters of akvavit, and 500 liters of vodka "at their service". ;)

Odin.
Odin,

With a group like yours, why on Earth would you flirt with the possibility of running dry? Are you positively sure that's enough spirit to go around? :mrgreen:
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
RedwoodHillBilly

Post by RedwoodHillBilly »

Odin wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:57 pm I agree with you bashing the "happiest day" cliche. I foresee my happiest days will be ON the boat.
Odin.
Having had many boats in my life, each of the above has quite of a bit of truth. Enjoy it while you have it, and see what happens in the future.
Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Tummydoc »

If you need bartenders or wait staff for the wedding, I'm sure we could drum up a few volunteers from this band of rascals!
Royco
Bootlegger

Post by Royco »

:cry:
Odin wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:57 pm Split in Croatia is beautiful. And I think it will give you more day trips. You could basically hop from one island to another. I intend to end up there for sure! Not this season, but maybe next? We already spent some time at Trogir, which is very close to Split, a few years ago, and loved it!

I agree with you bashing the "happiest day" cliche. I foresee my happiest days will be ON the boat.

Odin.
Odin I hope you get to Croatia. We have had 8 sailing holidays there and just love it. Trogir is one of our favourites. We tie up alongside the Promenade ("Riva") and party to the passing parade. There are about 800 Islands so it never gets boring!
I just wish we could do it like you and spend a whole season cruising but our boat has to work to pay its way
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Haha, "a boat is a hole in the water where you throw money in" does turn out to be pretty accurate. If I look at what the missus is spending on things the boat needs like towels, pillows, and God knows what ... :)

Odin.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

B.O.A.T stands for Bring On Another Thousand.
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

Add the word "marine" to any product and it adds x10 to the price.

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd
Site Donor
Location: In the garage, either stilling or working on a dragster

Post by goinbroke2 »

Can't take it with you and no use giving a ton of $$$ to the kids, good on you Odin. Enjoy it.

Junior dragster was the same for me, best day when bought/sold, but the memories I have of my kid getting his first win is priceless.
He never played sports as he was too small/clumsy/etc. Put him in a racecar though and everyone was equal. Cost a ton of $$ but I'd do it again in a minute.

Thought of getting a big boat (we live on a lake with canoes/kayaks but 15 minutes from the atlantic ocean), but the wife has flashbacks of the movie titanic and won't even go on a cruise. I'd get a 40ft lobster boat as they're everywhere here for relatively cheap but nope, mama won't have it.

So 1) enjoy it, regardless of costs etc and
2) you're very fortunate to have a woman that will take on your hobbies.

Smooth sailing!
Numerous 57L kegs, some propane, one 220v electric with stilldragon controller. Keggle for all-Grain, two pot still tops for whisky, a 3" reflux with deflag for vodka. Coming up, a 4" perf plate column. Life is short, make whisky and drag race!
BusyHive
Novice

Post by BusyHive »

Odin wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:32 am Yeah. Since my son is getting married beginning of September, and the family in law will be over ... I have some 50 liters of rum, 250 liters of gin, 150 liters of akvavit, and 500 liters of vodka "at their service". ;)

Odin.
I just checked the mailbox again. Invitation still has not arrived :roll: :P :lol: :lol:
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Just stocked the boat heading out to the islands for a four day cruise.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

If you use the boat a fair bit and include it in your advertising and PR that could help your bottom line a lot.

But of course you know all about that stuff.

Happy boating!

Geoff
The Baker
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

You are all invited to help me finish my likker inventory, folks!

Baker, talked to my accountant and he said to do this private. Too many people have tried to deduct boating costs professionally. It is now only allowed if you have a charter company or something alike. Thanks for the advice though!

Djezus! You guys could have told me boating is that adventurous. As in how things played out today. So we are approaching an island, where we want to dock and overnight. I make a slow approach. Wife & Daughter stand outside, ready to put the lines in place. Ten meters before the island ... the motor stops running ...

Using the start-engine ('cause the main didn't want to restart) we were able to get in reach of the island. We threw a line, another boater catched is and helped us tie up the boat. Now, about an hour later, the engine runs again. Electricity works. The engine seems okay. Current hypothesis is a case of polluted fuel. The former owner always only put so much diesel in the tanks as he needed. Like 50 to 100 liters instead of the 1200. Empty tanks lead to air leads to condensation can lead to bacterial growth. We splashed 400 liters of new diesel in there yesterday. Could have stirred up the shit on the bottom ...

Not sure, but it is a working hypothesis. When the motor is cooler, we'll check the fuel filters. If one is dirty, we'll try to limp for a harbor on the secondary filter and have the whole system cleaned. If the filters are clean, well, then we don't know what caused this, and we'll take the long way home, using minor water-ways to make sure we will be close to shore.

The great thing? We worked together as a team. And there is a bottle of cold vodka in the fridge ...

Regards, Odin.