First Full Volume Spirit Run

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

n_plains_drifter
Swill Maker

First Full Volume Spirit Run

Post by n_plains_drifter »

My first spirit run was only about 3 gallons of AG corn whiskey low wines, so it didn't take a whole lot of effort or time. This time, I was scaling up to full production.

I made 4 batches of Bird Watchers and stripped them out using my pot. I also had the second half of my first 'real' strip - first half was for my sacrificial.

Last Friday I loaded up my boiler with about 25l of high 20's. I'm running propane, and having difficulty getting the heat low enough to get actual drips, but my stream is almost that slow. Five hours later, I've got the equivalent of 8+l of 100%. (actual volume was 13+l)

The big learning experience was how much longer a full spirit run takes than a strip.

I've pitched some heads and tails into feints, pulled out 1.5 l as a nice heart sipper, and diluting the rest for a 3rd distillation to see how 'neutral' I can get from my pot.