Understanding ABV by bubble behavior

Distillation methods and improvements.

Moderator: Site Moderator

OtisT
Master of Distillation

Understanding ABV by bubble behavior

Post by OtisT »

I found this short article interesting. In summary, A centuries old process used by mezcal makers for understanding a spirit’s ABV based on how long bubbles remain is explained by science. I’ve read about moonshiners also using a visual inspection of liquor shaken up in a jar to see the ABV. Enjoy, Otis

Popular Mechanics: Mathematically Modeling the Mezcal-Making Process...For Science, We Promise
The perfect mezcal produces a specific type of bubble, and that has surprising implications for understanding fluid dynamics.

Read in Popular Mechanics: https://apple.news/ATgJsOmxwSPmxVL5XIvho0Q

Original article with link to study: https://www.futurity.org/mezcal-bubbles ... 2399052-2/

Otis
Last edited by OtisT on Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
Single Malt Yinzer
Trainee

Re: Understanding ABV by bubble behavior

Post by Single Malt Yinzer »

Thank you for posting this. Gives science background to the moonshiner's bubble proofing method.
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

Single Malt Yinzer wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:07 pm Thank you for posting this. Gives science background to the moonshiner's bubble proofing method.
I want to try this myself now, next time I am making cuts. Just one more way to enjoy traditional methods and it could be a great party trick under the right circumstances.

The study said that a mixture of pure alcohol/water has a different bubble behavior than a spirit with the same ABV, due to impurities in the spirit. 55% was said to be the best ABV for max bubble life in mezcal. So I am wondering what, if any, difference there are in the maximum bubble life ABV for a corn whiskey, wheat whiskey, rum, etc. I can’t wait to try.

Otis
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

Maybe a fun party trick but I trust my nose and the hydrometer for the end result. But I do have a rather large nose :D

Be well and stay safe
OVZ
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Bubbles do seem to raft up more when the abv is 50% ish
They never did say anything about the higher proof alcohol beads that dance in the collection jar.
I've seen beads as big as a goose eye that lasted for several seconds :lol:
If you look close on the video, there's a few tiny beads.
They are completely liquid and focus light, unlike a bubble
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I reckon my nose can pick out heads and tails better than using my eyes to watch for bubbles and beads, but I still use them as an indicator and record them in my run notes for future reference.
Setsumi
Distiller

Post by Setsumi »

shadylane wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:40 pm Bubbles do seem to raft up more when the abv is 50% ish
In the ferment... or so i read. I would very much like to ferment agave. seems very economical, or did i just read wrong?
My first flute
My press
My twins
My controller
My wife tells me I fell from heaven covered in white. Why did they let me fall?
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

Setsumi wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:00 pm
shadylane wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:40 pm Bubbles do seem to raft up more when the abv is 50% ish
In the ferment... or so i read. I would very much like to ferment agave. seems very economical, or did i just read wrong?
They did refer to bubbles in the ferment in the article, but in context they are clearly talking about the product after distillation. The author (and the editor) is obviously not a distiller. Otis
Setsumi
Distiller

Post by Setsumi »

OtisT wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:52 am
Setsumi wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:00 pm
They did refer to bubbles in the ferment in the article, but in context they are clearly talking about the product after distillation. The author (and the editor) is obviously not a distiller. Otis
yes.... but if one writes an article for a magazine research should be the basics. and basics should start with understanding the process.... okay, let me put it differently,,, a newbe on here will ask... "i am trying to ferment a 50% wash/ agave/corn... why does it not bead?" boy that would be worse than George and PIDS....

sory, lockdown is getting to me.
My first flute
My press
My twins
My controller
My wife tells me I fell from heaven covered in white. Why did they let me fall?
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

From the article:
"The fermentation can last anywhere from a month to 12 years, and makers test small samples to see how that fermentation is progressing.

“The method used to determine the correct alcohol content is of particular interest: a stream of the liquor is poured into a small vessel to induce surface bubbles. These bubbles, known as pearls by the Mezcal artisans, remain stable for [tens] of seconds only if the alcohol content is close to 50%,” the paper explains."
Well there's many a years I travelled a hundred miles or more,
but a fermentation to 50% I have never seen before.

So I guess the writers of the article in Popular Mechanics got their information mixed up.

The second link seems to be more reliable, but this mentions only the distillates, not the ferments.
So while we now know more about the lingering of pearls, we still do know nothing about the fermentations of a month to 12 years.