Brute Trash Can Fermenter

Any hardware used for mashing, fermenting or aging.

Moderator: Site Moderator

ddizzle22
Bootlegger

Re: Brute Trash Can Fermenter

Post by ddizzle22 »

ShineonCrazyDiamond wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:00 pm Here's the process with pictures.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=65703&start=150#p7546910
Wow that's awesome that the 32g brute fits perfect in there. Might look at that right away since I do mostly indoors anyway. Thank you for sharing. Just need to pick up the brute and a cheap 55g food container like that.
ddizzle22
Bootlegger

Post by ddizzle22 »

ShineonCrazyDiamond wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:00 pm Here's the process with pictures.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=65703&start=150#p7546910
What is the point of the pond pump in the 55g drum with the heater?
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

Just recirculation for even heat. They are 10 bucks and I use them also to transfer the wash out with tubing from the fermenter to buckets/ boiler.

Check out that entire thread. Lots of good info and ideas in there. A work smart not hard thread.
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

jonnys_spirit wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:49 pm In the 32 gallon brute I can fit between 47 and 55# of grain total and about 24-25 or so gallons of water total without it being too full. I’ll siphon off after AF into four six gallon carboys (not full) and let it sit for a week then rack off the sediment to net about 18 or 20 gallons or so and degass with a vacuum pump. Whatever doesn’t fit into that strip run is added to the next and so on till there’s enough for a spirit run. I have 20 gallon brutes too that I use and enough carboys to hold almost 80 gallons of the fermented wort and low wines so it’s multiple iterations until done.

Welcome to the rabbit hole!

Cheers,
Jonny
Thanks Johnny that helped me. :thumbup:
Around 10 5ths of 40% abv spirit out of a 20 gallon Brute. Thats more than I drink in a year. I see this as my ideal fermenter size to be able to keep putting some away for a stash. Three mashes yeilding 18 to 20 gallons to fill a 5 gallon barrel. Now I see the path toward my goal.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Walshie
Novice

Post by Walshie »

I have a 20 gall NSF2 (food storage grade) Huskee barrel with lid but I wrapped the body with ratchet tie downs. I poured the hot water in directly and had no problems with plastic deformation. Temp is holding at 89 degrees in Southern Ontario after 3 days (my very first mash). The 20 gall would only hold 13 gall of water after 18 lbs each corn and sugar.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Expat wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:43 pm Yeah those the normal Brutes, they work well as a fermenter. Food grade plastic.

Edit: I regularly dump boiling water in for my corn mash, no issues. Just make sure the brute is where you want it, moving 50g of grain and water is nearly impossible if it's not on wheels.
Having the whole group on wheels is essential .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .