Wheat Foam

All about grains. Malting, smoking, grinding and other preparations.
Which grains are hot, which are not.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Smokee
Swill Maker

Wheat Foam

Post by Smokee »

I'm trying a new AG, pitched the first bucket last night. This morning when I check before going to work I found it pushed foam up through the airlock & up the latex hose into my "mash exhaust" pvc system then back down into two other airlocks I had going. I'm trying a wheat mash, about 65% wheat, first time using that much. The mash turned out really well, I'm surprised at the amount of foam though. I have another to pitch tonight, I'm going to make some kind of slobber box to keep the foam out of the exhaust.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Wheat Foam

Post by still_stirrin »

Smokee wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:37 am...I'm surprised at the amount of foam though...I have another to pitch tonight, I'm going to make some kind of slobber box to keep the foam out of the exhaust.
It is not surprising really. Wheat is very high in proteins which will produce a lot of foam. Have you ever poured a wheat beer and had it foam over the top of the glass?

If you would have boiled your wort in the kettle while brewing (before transfer to the fermenter), you could have skimmed much of the proteins off, as it creates a lot of foam as you reach the boil. Having brewed beer for nearly 30 years now, I’ve seen a lot of “hot break” foam and wheat is definitely one of the foamiest.

Learning to use different grains when brewing will prepare you for their uniqueness, especially flavor contributions. This is what brewing experience will bring.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Smokee
Swill Maker

Post by Smokee »

still_stirrin wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:21 am
If you would have boiled your wort in the kettle while brewing (before transfer to the fermenter), you could have skimmed much of the proteins off, as it creates a lot of foam as you reach the boil. Having brewed beer for nearly 30 years now, I’ve seen a lot of “hot break” foam and wheat is definitely one of the foamiest.
ss
It's been a fun ride experimenting with different AG mashes for sure, I appreciate the feedback. I have the last 6 gallon bucket of mash to pitch tonight. This is only the 4th time using the new RoboBrew. I'll clean it up and put this last bucket back in and boil/skim it... give that a try. :thumbup:
Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Tummydoc »

Forget the airlock and ferment in an open bucket. This isn't beer brewing where sanitation is critical. A towel over the top will keep flies out if needed. After 2 days you can put on a the lid and lock if you won't be running your mash for months. 2 weeks in an open fermenter isn't really a problem. Usually an infected mash isn't a catastrophe either, just run it when fermented dry.
Smokee
Swill Maker

Post by Smokee »

Damn, I just realized I put this in the wrong place. Sorry about that!
Smokee
Swill Maker

Post by Smokee »

still_stirrin wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:21 am If you would have boiled your wort in the kettle while brewing (before transfer to the fermenter), you could have skimmed much of the proteins off, as it creates a lot of foam as you reach the boil. Having brewed beer for nearly 30 years now, I’ve seen a lot of “hot break” foam and wheat is definitely one of the foamiest.
I boiled the latest bucket of mash last night, there wasn't much foam. I skimmed what was there and pitched the yeast, it foamed over night just like the first bucket.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Smokee wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:40 am it foamed over night just like the first bucket.
Some of the process stated previously are good at assisting the reduction of foaming during fermentation..

But the best way to reduce foaming overall is to use anti-foam, plus giving the ferment some head space.. on a 6 gal batch you need at least 4 - 5" space when using anti-foam.. this is the one I use, and works very well... the grains will cap but will not foam..
https://brewhaus.com/anti-foam-agent-2oz/

Another thing that will help at stripping time is to have the wash/mash at a Ph of 4 at finishing time.. at 4.5 or higher will generate more foaming in the boiler than at 4, and used along with a heat break of 5 min at the first drop..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
Smokee
Swill Maker

Post by Smokee »

StillerBoy wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:39 am
But the best way to reduce foaming overall is to use anti-foam, plus giving the ferment some head space.. on a 6 gal batch you need at least 4 - 5" space when using anti-foam.. this is the one I use, and works very well... the grains will cap but will not foam..
https://brewhaus.com/anti-foam-agent-2oz/

Another thing that will help at stripping time is to have the wash/mash at a Ph of 4 at finishing time.. at 4.5 or higher will generate more foaming in the boiler than at 4, and used along with a heat break of 5 min at the first drop..

Mars
I picked up some anti-foam, will give it a try. Both buckets had way more head space than what I usually have, the mash just foamed a lot. After getting past the first day or so I was able to clean out the CO2 exhaust hoses and air-locks. They stayed clean the rest of the ferment.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Smokee wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:14 am I picked up some anti-foam, will give it a try.
Give us an update on the results..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
Smokee
Swill Maker

Post by Smokee »

StillerBoy wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:21 am

Mars
Definitely will! I did the first strip last evening but it was my usual AG mash. The wheat strip will have to wait til Sunday, when we get back from the mountains.
Smokee
Swill Maker

Post by Smokee »

StillerBoy wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:21 am

Mars
Two nights ago I started another round of mash, this time for the whiskey I usually make. I decided to make this with a good bit more wheat than what I usually do. I tried 5 Star anti foam, this morning there was no foam/mess. I added 4 drops and there's no foam creeping up the exhaust hoses out of the airlock.

I really appreciate the suggestion! :thumbup: