Anybody get any good deals lately?

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

MichiganCornhusker
retired

Re: Anybody get any good deals lately?

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

Oldvine Zin wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 12:54 pmThen he asked me if I had a use for the rest,
Dang, OVZ, he didn't know you so well after all, hell yeah you have a use for it!
What a great windfall, I can think of very few who could put it to such good use as you, congrats. :thumbup:
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Picked up a couple 60lb pet food containers to store grain in, the same ones they use at the LHBS. $24.95 at Sam's Club.
Gamma 2 Pet Food Container.jpg
Last edited by Twisted Brick on Sun May 24, 2020 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Twisted Brick wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 4:31 pm .
Picked up a couple 60lb pet food containers to store grain in, the same ones they use at the] LHBS. $24.95 at Sam's Club.
Gamma 2 Pet Food Container.jpg
I use the same one’s, I have had mine for a while but I am guessing I payed more for mine. They work great!
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

yesterday spotted a dremel on CL for $25. looked it up and called back, he said he would take $20

so I went and bought a 8220 dremel cordless complete kit plus a cutting disk kit for about $100 off of

retail. Iv'e burnt up my share of dremel's and still use them almost daily. see how long this one lasts
be water my friend
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Found a ships clock at an antique store priced at $38. Thought that was a bit low but when bought it it didn’t work. Upon further inspection found an on off button near the battery which I think is unusual for that type of clock. Measure approx. 8” dia.
BBB9FB63-C741-464E-8357-44CA804094DD.jpeg
Going to mount it on my new boat!
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Bought a once used 5 gallon bourbon barrel for 50 bucks at the local distillery.
15952715167047730586002596705154.jpg
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Deplorable wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:59 am Bought a once used 5 gallon bourbon barrel for 50 bucks at the local distillery.15952715167047730586002596705154.jpg
:thumbup: Good find!
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

Deplorable wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:59 am Bought a once used 5 gallon bourbon barrel for 50 bucks at the local distillery.15952715167047730586002596705154.jpg
Excellent deal!! Now fill it!
Cranky's spoonfeeding:
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=52975

Time and Oak will sort it out.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

nerdybrewer wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:36 pm
Well, this one is getting filled with 5 gallons of Malbec. But they've got them frequently from the barrel club members that don't want the barrel. Ill get another once I master by still.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

Bushman wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:19 am Found a ships clock at an antique store priced at $38. Thought that was a bit low but when bought it it didn’t work. Upon further inspection found an on off button near the battery which I think is unusual for that type of clock. Measure approx. 8” dia.
that on off button must be to save batteries in the doldrums :lolno:
be water my friend
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

Deplorable wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:48 pm
Well, this one is getting filled with 5 gallons of Malbec. But they've got them frequently from the barrel club members that don't want the barrel. Ill get another once I master by still.
Wish they were that inexpensive around here!!
Cranky's spoonfeeding:

Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

nerdybrewer wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:42 pm
Deplorable wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:48 pm
Wish they were that inexpensive around here!!
PM sent. The might be closer than you think.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

cob wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:33 pm
Bushman wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:19 am Found a ships clock at an antique store priced at $38. Thought that was a bit low but when bought it it didn’t work. Upon further inspection found an on off button near the battery which I think is unusual for that type of clock. Measure approx. 8” dia.
that on off button must be to save batteries in the doldrums :lolno:
+1, that was my thought
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

was gifted another batch of muscavado sugar today, ten twelve pound boxes........Rummmmmmmmm
sugar.JPG
OVZ
Attachments
sugar.JPG
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

Oldvine Zin wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:11 pm was gifted another batch of muscavado sugar today, ten twelve pound boxes........Rummmmmmmmmsugar.JPG

OVZ
Amazing!!
Cranky's spoonfeeding:

DSmith78
Swill Maker

Post by DSmith78 »

Oldvine Zin wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:11 pm was gifted another batch of muscavado sugar today, ten twelve pound boxes........Rummmmmmmmmsugar.JPG

OVZ
What the heck... Gifted? Man......
There are three types of people in this world - those who can do maths and those who cannot.
googe
retired

Post by googe »

found some good speakers in the skip at work last night
Here's to alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.
"Homer J Simpson"
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

OZ, do you know the main difference between muscavado sugar and Panela sugar or is there a difference?
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

Bushman wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:37 am OZ, do you know the main difference between muscavado sugar and Panela sugar or is there a difference?
I've only done 1 ferment with the muscavado so far and I did note that it was not as sweet as the panela. The muscavado wash yielded 19 brix while the panela using the same ratios would consistently yield 24 brix. The muscavado fermented great using bakers yeast.

Normally I do my rum as a double distill with my pot, since I'm planning on keeping this white I experimented with running through 2 plates on my flute, one and done. The finished product at this point tastes a lot brighter that the panels rum. The next batch I plan on running through the pot to compare tastes.

Stay safe
OVZ
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

This may not technically be the right place to post this but I thought this is where the most members will see it.

It looks like "It's 5" distillery in Cashmere Wa is shutting down and auctioning off all their equipment. As much as I hate to see that sort of thing happen it might be an opportunity for people to get a good bargain or two.

Here is a link to the auction website
https://www.cyberauctions.com/PreviewAu ... directed=1#_

There is a lot of nice stuff there. I myself might be buying some carboys and probably bidding on some SS drums and a few other things but because I'm a cheap bastard I probably won't get anything. I don't think I could ferment and run 2,000#s of barley before it goes bad :roll: so won't be bidding on that but maybe someone around here could pull that off.

Edit:
If this wasn't 3 phase I would so be buying it
https://www.cyberauctions.com/ItemShow. ... &order=lot
Last edited by cranky on Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
pope
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pope »

That is sad news and I’m sure they’re not the first or the last in these times. Half the ADI publication was all COVID-related coverage, distilling is such a hard-hit industry.
"A little learning is a dang'rous thing; Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring: There shallow draughts intoxicate the brain, And drinking largely sobers us again." - Alexander Pope
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I was just in Leavenworth this last weekend and went to the antique stores in cashmere. Sorry to hear the news as he was a great guy and I remember him having mason jars with different fruit infusions going on. He aged his whiskey in used red wine barrels.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

This is the neighbor of our freind that owns Leony's Cellars next door. I gave the link to the acution to the winery owners (who moved the winery operation to Enumclaw) in case he needed anything, and to help out the distillery. It sounds like, in talking to Leony's ownership the distillery also has a place in Oregon and is likely relocating due to the cost of doing business in WA.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

I was kind of surprised when my wife told me about the auction. The distillery website doesn't say anything about it but if they are just relocating they are likely to take a huge loss on that equipment.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Three alcometers from the Ukraine finally arrived after a long Covid delay.

I thought they were a keen price, but when I put them all in the same measuring cylinder they had 3% difference between the highest and the lowest and the lowest was 3% higher than my certified Alla, so now I think I got ripped off. :D

Do any bright sparks know how to bump the paper scale into the correct position without smashing the hydrometer? :roll:
I have tried moving the scale on an expensive alcometer from a HBS, (that I found out years after I bought it was way off), but couldn't budge it.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

NZChris wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:25 pm Do any bright sparks know how to bump the paper scale into the correct position without smashing the hydrometer?
If it were me I'd just tap it on a concrete floor until it moved :ebiggrin:
Last edited by cranky on Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Maybe if you check whether the results on each is consistent.
(And you can look up the interweb, 'check if a thermometer is correct').

Then check the variation from the known correct temperature.
And then keep each in its own cylinder with a label on the cylinder showing the variation from true.
Then add or subtract the required amount.

Geoff
The Baker
Hambone
Rumrunner

Post by Hambone »

cranky wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:32 am
NZChris wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:25 pm Do any bright sparks know how to bump the paper scale into the correct position without smashing the hydrometer?
If it were me I'd just tap it on a concrete floor until it moved :ebiggrin:
A 4 lb hammer helps...
Good judgement is the result of experience.

Experience is usually the result of bad judgement..
HomerD
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by HomerD »

It doesn’t say anything about shipping or not on the auction page. It said there is supposed to be a link for each auction beside the name that gives that info, and I don’t see anything.

Homer
[align=][/align]Stay strapped or get clapped.
15.5 gallon boiler, 5 gallon thumper, shotgun condenser, 57” spiraled liebig,
mash steam cooker head, 5.5 kW element with SCR controller
All modular
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

The Baker wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:39 amThen check the variation from the known correct temperature.
And then keep each in its own cylinder with a label on the cylinder showing the variation from true.
Then add or subtract the required amount.
Unfortunately, that only works very close to the abv you calibrated it at. Because the SG of abv isn't linear, the correction needs to be in millimeters, not %. If the scale was 3mm out, you would have to measure 3mm from the reading to find the correct abv. I can't be bothered with that.

Tapping them on a concrete floor until they move is probably the best option. :D

If I'm using one for only one purpose, like in the low wines receiver where I'm aiming for a specific abv, I could work out an adjusted target abv for it.