WPOSW - Importance of keeping below 10% with VM reflux still

Sugar, and all about sugar washes. Where the primary ingredient is sugar, and other things are just used as nutrients.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Big L
Novice

WPOSW - Importance of keeping below 10% with VM reflux still

Post by Big L »

Hi All,

If running a VM reflux still how important is it to keep the wash ABV below 10%? I understand why it would be important with a pot stills but if you're going for a neutral with all that reflux would it still make a difference?

Am asking because i've got two lots of 50% ready to run through the reflux - some where i did keep it below 10% and some where I didn't - wondering if its worth doing them separately or if its fine to just throw them in together.

All the best
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Re: WPOSW - Importance of keeping below 10% with VM reflux still

Post by StillerBoy »

Assuming I'm understanding your question, your asking the abv load putting in boiler before running..

If you are reducing the load to 10% abv, that's way to low for neutral.. the boiler load should be between 35 - 40% abv..

As to mixing different abv of low wine together, good to go, as long as your are aiming for the abv mention above..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

I think he is asking about the potential ABV of the fermented wash.

I'd recommend running them separate just to see if one of them is better
Big L
Novice

Post by Big L »

Yeah sorry for not being clear: I will load the boiler with 35-40% - what i am asking if loading them separately is worth it. One which was over 10% and one under 10% at the fermented wash stage (but have now both been stripped).

Annoyingly Shadylane I don't think i'll have quite enough of the under 10% to load it on its own but that is okay i'll get some more going and do it separately. Its worth checking you're right.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Sorry for not understanding your question..

In a sugar wash, it is best to stay under the 10% as it will have less of the sugar bite vera a batch over 10%.. as to running together, provided they are of the same makeup / recipe, there is no issue there..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
MartinCash
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MartinCash »

One of the reasons for the recommendation is that, even if your column is good at producing a very neutral product, you will still have more heads and tails from a higher ABV wash, and less usable product (to a point) so it's a case of diminishing returns. You may also carry detectable off flavours, depending on your wash and still.
4'' SS modular CCVM on gas-fired 50L keg.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Big L wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:58 pm Yeah sorry for not being clear: I will load the boiler with 35-40% - what i am asking if loading them separately is worth it. One which was over 10% and one under 10% at the fermented wash stage (but have now both been stripped).

That's My secret recipe
Several 10% washes stripped to 35-40% then redistilled in a reflux column :thumbup:
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

I get best results when I strip wash first in my Pot still and then run through the VM @ 30-40% abv
bluefish_dist
Distiller

Post by bluefish_dist »

The less than 10% is simply to make better tasting product. Has nothing to do with the still, but is a good rule of thumb for fermentation. Yeast don’t like high abv and produce off flavors when stressed. By keeping the abv down, the yeast are happy and make good flavors.
Formerly
Dsp-CO-20051
Big L
Novice

Post by Big L »

Thanks all! New washes on the way!