Spirit gets cloudy after adding water for dilution

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

kyolic
Bootlegger

Spirit gets cloudy after adding water for dilution

Post by kyolic »

Spirit is crystal clear after the second run (first run as well) and cut, however gets cloudy when I add water (not even tap water -best spring water)for dilution.

This is the third time I am having this. What is the solution?
smokeybowls
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Spirit gets cloudy after adding water for dilution

Post by smokeybowls »

I'm new to this hobby but have ran into this problem before . You more than likely have tails in your spirit . Something about the solids in the tails when mixed with enough water will become visable . At least that's how I understood it when I had same problem . Try to make smaller cuts during distilation . I use pint jars and fill them halfway and blend the next day .
smokeybowls
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by smokeybowls »

Here is my post and some great solutions that were suggested to me .
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=78877#p7613471
kyolic
Bootlegger

Post by kyolic »

Well, according to your replies the cause is excessive tails but the spirit tastes perfect to me (trust me, I am picky). :wtf:
smokeybowls
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by smokeybowls »

From what I've read that's the only reason it should cloud up ,but like I said I'm new to this and maybe one of these more experienced members might have another reason why this happens and can better help you .
Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Tummydoc »

Help us out here, what is your spirit?? (what was the wash?) And at what proof are you seeing the cloudiness start? Pot distilled or reflux? Single pot run or stip and spirit? You are getting a louche, so you are diluting below the solubility point of some oils in your distillate. Pretty common with gin. If its a grain based run or mollasses the fusel oils tend to be in the tails
kyolic
Bootlegger

Post by kyolic »

Tummydoc wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:06 am Help us out here, what is your spirit?? (what was the wash?) And at what proof are you seeing the cloudiness start? Pot distilled or reflux? Single pot run or stip and spirit? You are getting a louche, so you are diluting below the solubility point of some oils in your distillate. Pretty common with gin. If its a grain based run or mollasses the fusel oils tend to be in the tails

What was the wash?

UJSS

At what proof are you seeing the cloudiness start?

Immediately after adding water.

Pot distilled or reflux?

Pot.

Single pot run or stip and spirit?

Spirit run.
Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Tummydoc »

kyolic wrote:
Tummydoc wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:06 am Help us out here, what is your spirit?? (what was the wash?) And at what proof are you seeing the cloudiness start? Pot distilled or reflux? Single pot run or stip and spirit? You are getting a louche, so you are diluting below the solubility point of some oils in your distillate. Pretty common with gin. If its a grain based run or mollasses the fusel oils tend to be in the tails

What was the wash?

UJSS

At what proof are you seeing the cloudiness start?

Immediately after adding water.

Pot distilled or reflux?

Pot.

Single pot run or stip and spirit?

Spirit run.
But what is the proof before water?
30xs
Swill Maker

Post by 30xs »

I have had a few of my first runs do something that may be something others have witnessed as well. I run through a flute so proof was in the 185-190 range. After airing for a few days and selecting my keep jars I put a lid on the jars to stop loss. If they set for a bit of time with a normal mason jar lid on them they would go cloudy blueish when cut with water, no matter which jar was cut (no blending). If I would make my cuts and put them into a gallon jug with a cork I could store them at full proof and have no negative reaction when diluting them at a later date. This may not be what you are seeing, but if so reading the “Mason Jar” thread and purchasing the PTFE liners may help you out. I really think it was high proof against the plastisol seal. Everything I had do that was converted to lighter fluid.
kyolic
Bootlegger

Post by kyolic »

Ok it was the fucking plastic hose at the end of the cooler.

Never and ever get plastic involved in the system. Lesson learned!
MartinCash
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MartinCash »

Yeah, plastics are usually a hard no.
4'' SS modular CCVM on gas-fired 50L keg.