Can I use honey shine tails in sugar wash?

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

mannye
Bootlegger

Can I use honey shine tails in sugar wash?

Post by mannye »

I have about half a gallon of 20-30% tails sitting in a jar and I'm fermenting 4 gallons of sugar wash that will eventually become apple pie moonshine.

I was thinking of pouring the honey shine tails into the stripping run of the sugar wash. Any reason not to do that?
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Re: Can I use honey shine tails in sugar wash?

Post by StillerBoy »

Here's how to answer this question, and future one..

What are tails.. where do these come from.. do I want these tails in the finished neutral product..

If you can answer those question, then you have understood your question, and answered it..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

I think thre simple answer is no, there's no problem, and why don't you just go ahead and do it?
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
jayka
Swill Maker

Post by jayka »

Does your honey shine have some honey notes to it? that could come through nicely in apple pie moonshine. I've watched a few distillery tours and a lot of them seem to add their tails back into the next run.
Sooner or later the people who run the planet all end up choosing one drink....
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

ShineonCrazyDiamond wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:44 pm
mannye wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:53 am I have about half a gallon of 20-30% tails sitting in a jar and I'm fermenting 4 gallons of sugar wash that will eventually become apple pie moonshine.

I was thinking of pouring the honey shine tails into the stripping run of the sugar wash. Any reason not to do that?
I think thre simple answer is no, there's no problem, and why don't you just go ahead and do it?
You don’t need “approval” from anyone here to try something. Just do it....no better way to learn some creative distilling.

“Honey-shine” isn’t a common spirit here (although not rare, either). So, how your tails will affect a neutral is a little “unknown”. But that, by no means, means you can’t do it.

Experiment...that’s what this hobby is all about (but don’t blame me if the product tastes like shit! :shock: But, I doubt it will). Be brave...”grow a pair”...and dive in!
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Hambone
Rumrunner

Post by Hambone »

If someone told you yes, or no...would you know any more? I agree with others, do it! Then you'll know if you like it, and tell us what you think.
Good judgement is the result of experience.

Experience is usually the result of bad judgement..