How do you heat wheat, Rye or similar?

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

noooze
Novice

How do you heat wheat, Rye or similar?

Post by noooze »

Have been doing sugar washes so far.

Want to get into the good spirit, and sugar is not cheap here. Wheat is.

But as I understand it, you use twice the amount of grains as sugar.

Finding a good way to heat a 60 or 90-liter pot is proving to be difficult. As I have to do indoor, a gas burner is not an option.

The last batch was 30 kg of sugar, so would need to heat up quite a lot of wheat...

How do you guys do it?
jayka
Swill Maker

Re: How do you heat wheat, Rye or similar?

Post by jayka »

Hey mate, I'm a long way from copenhagen but im sure you can pick up something similar but I use a portable induction hotplate. I will post a link its not the exact one but it will give you an idea. you can pick them up pretty cheap these days. I use it to heat up my 70lt SS pot. also to speed things up I use my still to heat 30lt and the pot to heat 30lt heats heaps quicker. then I also use my still to heat up my sparge water.
https://www.dicksmith.com.au/da/buy/hea ... 00-cooker/
Capture.PNG
Sooner or later the people who run the planet all end up choosing one drink....
Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Tummydoc »

Jayka, are you using a steel plate between the cooktop and your SS pot? I thought an induction plate would not work on SS since stainless is not magnetic.
jayka
Swill Maker

Post by jayka »

Oh maybe its not induction. maybe its just a regular portable hot plate. I dont use a steel plate and it works ok.
jayka
Swill Maker

Post by jayka »

This is the exact one I have and it works just fine for me. it did spaz out once or twice but I had put that down to the base being super thin but I have run a good few mashes through it now. Maybe the pot is not as stainless as it said. it was just a super cheap ebay one from china.
https://www.dicksmith.com.au/da/buy/200 ... n-cooktop/
Capture.PNG
jayka
Swill Maker

Post by jayka »

This is my exact pot, i just had a look at the fineprint and it says suitable for induction. maybe they put something in the base.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/174265755377
Capture.PNG
jayka
Swill Maker

Post by jayka »

Funny because I never even knew that induction needs to be magnetic, I was just give a frypan from someone as they couldn't use it in their house because its aluminium but we have gas. Guess I was just lucky the pot works. I would have been spewing it they hadn't worked together!!!
dukethebeagle120
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by dukethebeagle120 »

Like this
Easy Large Batch Mashing
Socd
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=65703#p7462525
its better to think like a fool but keep your mouth shut,then to open ur mouth and have it confirmed
jayka
Swill Maker

Post by jayka »

dukethebeagle120 wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:46 am Like this
Easy Large Batch Mashing
Socd
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=65703#p7462525
Thats a cool setup. Although I have to say im most impressed with is if you scroll down and check out his mop press set up!
Macgyver eat your heart out!
jayka
Swill Maker

Post by jayka »

Looking at those pics I'm almost scared to move on to using corn. it looks crazy thick! how the hell do you sparge that? it looks like the water would just hit it and roll off.
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

Very few sparge corn
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

This isn't completely on point about heating a big pot but you might want to read through Jimbo's EASY 1/2 Barrel Wheated Bourbon & Gumballhead

I don't have a big pot but you can use a stovetop and a 5 gallon/19L pot, bring water to a boil a few times dumping it into an Igloo cooler with the ground corn letting it steep overnight.

I'm sure you can adjust the mashbill BUT as I understand from reading Rye is a different animal to deal with.
Read Til You Bleed.gif
Read Til You Bleed.gif (24.78 KiB) Viewed 2328 times
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

jayka wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:05 am Looking at those pics I'm almost scared to move on to using corn. it looks crazy thick! how the hell do you sparge that? it looks like the water would just hit it and roll off.
Most of the advanced stillers here doing AG ferment on the grain rather than sparge. Ive been reading a lot on the AG mashing technique used here by many since my end goal is single malt whiskeys. Yeah, its more exspensive than sugar washes with grains as a flavor only addititve, but the end product is so much more rewarding. I need to burn through this 50# sack of feed grain before I start buying bags of malted barley.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
greggn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by greggn »

noooze wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:34 am Finding a good way to heat a 60 or 90-liter pot is proving to be difficult. As I have to do indoor, a gas burner is not an option.

How do you heat your still ?

My boiler is electric so I use that to heat water to pour over my grains in my mash tun. I essentially follow Booner's "causal" protocol for all grains and this works great for wheat since it has a fairly low gelatinization temp.

I drank fifty pounds of feed-store corn
'till my clothes were ratty and torn
jayka
Swill Maker

Post by jayka »

Deplorable wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:28 am
jayka wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:05 am Looking at those pics I'm almost scared to move on to using corn. it looks crazy thick! how the hell do you sparge that? it looks like the water would just hit it and roll off.
Most of the advanced stillers here doing AG ferment on the grain rather than sparge. Ive been reading a lot on the AG mashing technique used here by many since my end goal is single malt whiskeys. Yeah, its more exspensive than sugar washes with grains as a flavor only addititve, but the end product is so much more rewarding. I need to burn through this 50# sack of feed grain before I start buying bags of malted barley.
Yeh so far I have been doing single malt barley mashes as I like a nice single malt and its pretty easy. but my dad prefers a bourbon so I want to make him one but every time I look at a corn recipe it just looks like so much work!
jayka
Swill Maker

Post by jayka »

please excuse my ignorance but what it AG Ferment?
jayka
Swill Maker

Post by jayka »

never mind i got it All Grain
jayka
Swill Maker

Post by jayka »

Since we are talking about Rye, what is the strike temp for malted Rye? is it the same as for Malted Barley?
Hambone
Rumrunner

Post by Hambone »

jayka wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:05 am Looking at those pics I'm almost scared to move on to using corn. it looks crazy thick!
It is thick! But using enzymes or sacrificial malt makes it workable. But if corn is ground fine enough for good no boil gelatinization and conversion there is no way to sparge that I would attempt.
Good judgement is the result of experience.

Experience is usually the result of bad judgement..
jayka
Swill Maker

Post by jayka »

Hambone wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:57 pm
jayka wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:05 am Looking at those pics I'm almost scared to move on to using corn. it looks crazy thick!
It is thick! But using enzymes or sacrificial malt makes it workable. But if corn is ground fine enough for good no boil gelatinization and conversion there is no way to sparge that I would attempt.
Thanks, while it's not what I wanted to here. You have definitely spelt it out for me. So thanks. Having said that I think I have accidentally derailed this guy's topic. Sorry about that.
dukethebeagle120
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by dukethebeagle120 »

Hambone wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:57 pm
Fill a 15.5 gallon thumper with slop.
Fill the boiler with water or clean wash
Let her fly.
No scorching
You kill two birds with one stone
its better to think like a fool but keep your mouth shut,then to open ur mouth and have it confirmed
Cschmidtke
Novice

Post by Cschmidtke »

I run an all grain mash for my Tennessee whiskey we run a 120l pot I boil my water and Transfer it to a 55 gallon barrel. I add 50lbs of ground corn to the barrel and then 16.5 lbs of malted 6 row along with 2.5 lbs of rye. I let it sit until it reaches 150 degrees then I pitch in the glucoamaze and stir I add water to top off to 50 gallons and add sugar to make my gravity 1.085. I pitch yeast at 90 degrees and wait.
Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Tummydoc »

So no high temp alpha? And you're adding 6 row to boiling water rather than waiting to pitch malt at 150? No wonder you need to add sugar. And its not an all grain mash if you are adding sugar. If you like the product, great. But you could be more efficient in your technique at no added cost or labor.

Brew bama
Novice

Post by Brew bama »

jayka wrote:Funny because I never even knew that induction needs to be magnetic, I was just give a frypan from someone as they couldn't use it in their house because its aluminium but we have gas. Guess I was just lucky the pot works. I would have been spewing it they hadn't worked together!!!
It’s either not 304 SS (some other stainlesses are magnetic — 316 may be one I think) or it has a thick bottom with a layer of magnetic material sandwiched between 304 SS. My 10 gal brew pot is 304 but has this sandwich bottom and works great on my induction cooktop.
noooze
Novice

Post by noooze »

Thanks guys

Sorry for beeing a slow dude. Had to take some time off the web, due to a severe stress.
My day to day work is a Superman culture where your bosses are expecting you to get in before the kids get up and clock out after dinner.
That has sadly taken a toll on me.

I have moved my destilling equipment to a friends place and we will try a see if we can you all the good advice to do some wheat mashes.
It's more than half the price of doing a sugar mash - as sugar in Denmark have a heavy "fat tax " on it and comes out at 1 USD a kilo plus 25% VAT.
A kilo of wheat from a farmer is 0,2 USD :)
jayka
Swill Maker

Post by jayka »

Good stuff! All grain it is then. You won't look back. It's a good hobby and a great way to make you slow down and forget about stuff like work!
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Ferment on the grain and use a mesh bag and mop wringer.
You could use your hands to wring the fermented liquid out
That's what we call the Armstrong method :lol:
Do it by hand a time or two and you'll be looking for a mop wringer :wink: