Amylase

These little beasts do all the hard work. Share how to keep 'em happy and working hard.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Amylase

Post by Tummydoc »

I have found that powdered alpha doesn't convert nearly as well as high temp liquid alpha amylase.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

seabass wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:38 am
DrexelClaus wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:40 pm Is it possible to achieve 100% conversion using only powdered Alpha and glucoamylase without any malted grain? It's been hell trying to find any malted cereal. The closest Brew Shop near me is over 3 hours away. I have tried quite a few times but I'm not getting much starch conversion. I'm trying to figure out whether it's my process or my adjunct.
If you gelatinize the starches properly and don't denature the enzymes, yes. Those enzymes should be all you need. Are the grains properly crushed? Are the enzymes old? Did you do a proper cereal mash? There are a lot of factors. Unmalted grains generally need higher temp for gelatinization than if they were malted.
+1
This might help shed some light. Also, mash within the enzyme's preferred temp and pH zones and you should be fine. Lots of 'stillers here prefer liquid (SEBStar) enzymes over dry.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
DrexelClaus
Novice

Post by DrexelClaus »

DSmith thank you for your hospitality! I'm using 4lb 9-12 piece cracked corn. Boiling with 3gal water for 2.5-3 hours for gelatinization. Letting cool naturally to 150f and adding BSG amylase enzyme. Holding for approx. 1 hr between 150-155f. Naturally cooling to 135 and adding LD Carlson glucoamylase and holding another hour at 135. I have tried adjusting the pH for a more suitable conversion and raise it back for yeast but then consistently have pH crash during fermentation. I don't currently have reasonable access to malted cereals unfortunately. Again the hospitality is much appreciated. I promise I'll figure the forum chatrooms out. I've got forums for dummies on it's way
seabass
Rumrunner

Post by seabass »

Liquid enzymes seem to be much more reliable. I've had mixed results with powdered amylase in the past. I had to be heavy handed with the dosing for it to work.
TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

MartinCash wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:53 pm
DrexelClaus wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:40 pm Is it possible to achieve 100% conversion using only powdered Alpha and glucoamylase without any malted grain? It's been hell trying to find any malted cereal. The closest Brew Shop near me is over 3 hours away. I have tried quite a few times but I'm not getting much starch conversion. I'm trying to figure out whether it's my process or my adjunct.
Without knowing what you did it's hard to say. What recipe did you use?

BTW your question is better off as a separate topic, it's considered rude to hijack someone else's topic with an off-topic question.
Martin, all due respect (I really mean that), this thread is a little scattered to begin with going from grains to breakfast cereal to distillery tours.
TO ME, no harm no foul.
In fact, kudo's to DC!
Looks like you just joined two days. Unlike a LOT of noobs, I appreciate you not just popping a new thread saying, "Hey! Spoon feed me on this stuff."
You did enough digging to find a six month dormant thread, which I assume you read before asking your question.

Perhaps a better idea is to scan through Tried & Trues looking at All Grain recipes, particularly Boomer's Casual All Corn.
Reading through it probably give you some ideas or answers. Even if you're thinking of something other than corn, the process will help.

Also perhaps this will help.
DrexelClaus
Novice

Post by DrexelClaus »

I'll be switching from the archaic family recipe to a tried and true as well as switching to liquid enzyme. I'd rather help myself to this BAP of wisdom rather than be spoon fed. Y'all are gentlemen and scholars. Again thank y'all for all the help!
Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Tummydoc »

We're here to help!
DrexelClaus
Novice

Post by DrexelClaus »

Any recommendation of a reputable place to get quality sebstar/sebamyl that's not going to rape me? Having a hell of a time trying to message wood shed
Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Tummydoc »

Enzymemash.biz Sherman was a regular here and one of the early promoters of enzyme use.
Hambone
Rumrunner

Post by Hambone »

I tend to find myself using enzymes even with mashes with adequate diastatic power. I dunno, belt and suspenders, I guess...
Good judgement is the result of experience.

Experience is usually the result of bad judgement..
DSmith78
Swill Maker

Post by DSmith78 »

Tummydoc wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:08 pm Enzymemash.biz Sherman was a regular here and one of the early promoters of enzyme use.
I'm guessing that site is no longer there...
There are three types of people in this world - those who can do maths and those who cannot.
Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Tummydoc »

DSmith78 wrote:
Tummydoc wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:08 pm Enzymemash.biz Sherman was a regular here and one of the early promoters of enzyme use.
I'm guessing that site is no longer there...
I would have thought so, but google search earlier today took me to his order page. Must have been cached because tonight site cant be reached. Ebay has 8 oz of high temp alpha and 8 oz glucoamylase for $39 as a kit free shipping.
MartinCash
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MartinCash »

Are you sure it's not enzymash.biz rather than enzymemash?
4'' SS modular CCVM on gas-fired 50L keg.
DSmith78
Swill Maker

Post by DSmith78 »

MartinCash wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:37 am Are you sure it's not enzymash.biz rather than enzymemash?
Yeah that's what I entered - unable to reach server. Reach further then Google god damn it!
There are three types of people in this world - those who can do maths and those who cannot.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
DSmith78
Swill Maker

Post by DSmith78 »

DSmith78 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:27 am
MartinCash wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:37 am Are you sure it's not enzymash.biz rather than enzymemash?
Yeah that's what I entered - unable to reach server. Reach further then Google god damn it!
Edit - that is Not what I entered! Completely missed the spelling difference... 🙄
Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Tummydoc »

Thats it!! I feel a loyalty to Sherman for his contributions here. He got a bum streer by the feds
DSmith78
Swill Maker

Post by DSmith78 »

Tummydoc wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:02 pm Thats it!! I feel a loyalty to Sherman for his contributions here. He got a bum streer by the feds
Oh no - what happened?
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

I think it was an ex wife that happened?

https://www.fox19.com/story/38990713/la ... -kentucky/
————
————
Brew bama
Novice

Amylase

Post by Brew bama »

There’s the issue: “...200 gallons ...a week. Some of it was ready for sale...”

He broke the rule: Don’t tell, don’t sell.

I would add, stick to a personal hobby scale.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Brew bama wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:29 am There’s the issue: “...200 gallons ...a week. Some of it was ready for sale...”

I suspect the operative words are, 'ready to sell....'
Not necessarily that it was being sold but the feds judged that it was in a such a condition that it COULD have been sold.

Anyway I know little about it but I miss him.

Geoff
The Baker
MartinCash
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MartinCash »

Brew bama wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:29 am There’s the issue: “...200 gallons ...a week. Some of it was ready for sale...”

You'd have to believe that the cops' press release is truthful and not embellished... and if you saw pictures of his setup (they were published by the cops in the media stories), you might think different. It seemed to me to be a large-ish setup for hobby distilling but not unrealistic. And I don't see how you could get 200 gallons of drinking spirits off that still in the 168 hours available in a week.
4'' SS modular CCVM on gas-fired 50L keg.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

A couple barrels of wash and the feds (who are always right in court) call it “hundreds of gallons of shine a week”. I wish! Lol.

It takes a lot of water to make a little whisky. And a capful of enzymes lol.

-jonny
————
————
DSmith78
Swill Maker

Post by DSmith78 »

Yeah that smells like a set up to me - poor chap.
DrexelClaus
Novice

Post by DrexelClaus »

Got my enzyme from Sherman and it's top notch fellas. Just fighting acetobacter now. Buying new buckets today!