New (to me) 300 liter fermenter!

Any hardware used for mashing, fermenting or aging.

Moderator: Site Moderator

stillanoob
Site Donor
Site Donor

New (to me) 300 liter fermenter!

Post by stillanoob »

Hi All,

Since very few people know what I get up to and even less care, I wanted to share my new fermenter. True, it isn't really mine as it is on loan but I get to use it and its owner hasn't used it in years. It has an interesting lid, the seal is pumped up with air. This allows setting it lower in the vessel if it isn't full. That should be interesting to use.
20200808_075720_resized.jpg
20200808_075736_resized.jpg
We will be using the fermenter for apple cider to make brandy with. Since we won't be emptying it all at once I plan on figuring out a way to back fill with CO2 to prevent any air from getting in. Not sure how to do that yet. Anyway, I can only hope to fill it this year!

Edit: Changed 600 to 300 liter. :oops:
Last edited by stillanoob on Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Re: New (to me) 600 liter fermenter!

Post by LWTCS »

Common for wine storage.
It should also have a little squeeze pump that lets you put it under vacuum.

Those are nice.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
seabass
Rumrunner

Post by seabass »

That's a pretty fermenter. Definitely an odd lid.

For keeping o2 out while transferring, I'd rig up a racking cane and gas port on the lid. I can't tell how feasible that is from the picture. Push liquid through the racking cane with co2. That way you're filling with co2 while you're emptying so you aren't adding any o2 throughout the process. That's how I do it with keg fermenters anyway.

If that's not possible, you could put a hose on the inner tube of that airlock and slowly pump co2 in while you're pumping out liquid.

Edit: I thought that was a 3 part airlock on top. Not sure what it is.
stillanoob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillanoob »

It does have a little pump but I have not checked to see if it can vacuum. We were too busy to really look it over when my still buddy got it. I am at work for a 48 hour shift but will check it out when I get back.

I'm so stoked to have a non glass fermenter! And in any case I didn't have enough glass to increase my usual cider volume for brandy. With any luck this year we will push 100 gallons, 1/2 or so for drinking and the other half for brandy.
stillanoob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillanoob »

Seabass, I didn't see your post when I posted mine. Yes, I think a CO2 pressure system would be ideal. Since it isn't mine I have to figure out how to do that without permanently altering it. It is some kind of fermentation lock on the top there. I'll take a better look when I get home.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

150 gallons is a lot of wash.
That'll keep ya busy at the still for a while.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
stillanoob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillanoob »

Deplorable wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:38 pm 150 gallons is a lot of wash.
That'll keep ya busy at the still for a while.
Oops! It is a 300 liter. I guess I have delusions of grandeur. I'll see if I can edit the title.