Wposw over rum trub

Sugar, and all about sugar washes. Where the primary ingredient is sugar, and other things are just used as nutrients.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Durhommer
Distiller

Wposw over rum trub

Post by Durhommer »

So I'm starting wposw over my last rum run tou know the yeast and gunk you dont want in the still and the little alcohol left in there with it.just wondering has anyone ever done this? Hows it turn out or am I just making a c and h cane sugar rum someone chime in cos its happening now regardless
You have two ears and one mouth for a reason....
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Re: Wposw over rum trub

Post by StillerBoy »

Durhommer.. what the shit are you saying.. I'm to old for your shorthand..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

20200816_151806.jpg
104f waiting for pitch temp
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

I guess I started a wineos wash on rum trub wondering how it will be or am I in uncharted waters
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Forget what the trub was, follow the process as if it was a sugar wash, which it is.. simple..

Check the Ph at pitching time and at the appropriate times after, and ferment it at the mid range of the yeast being used, and there should be no issues..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

Thanks mars
HomerD
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by HomerD »

You cracked me up StillerBoy.

Homer
[align=][/align]Stay strapped or get clapped.
15.5 gallon boiler, 5 gallon thumper, shotgun condenser, 57” spiraled liebig,
mash steam cooker head, 5.5 kW element with SCR controller
All modular
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

HomerD wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:53 pm You cracked me up StillerBoy.
I've corresponded with this young man.. good learner and experimenter..

It's just these young ones, and their cell phone shorthand, an't any good to me.. to old for that shit..

Mars

– Albert Einstein
HomerD
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by HomerD »

StillerBoy wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:17 pm
HomerD wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:53 pm You cracked me up StillerBoy.
I've corresponded with this young man.. good learner and experimenter..

It's just these young ones, and their cell phone shorthand, an't any good to me.. to old for that shit..

Mars
I completely understand. I don’t have a clue what any of that stuff is. I have to ask my wife or nephews.

Homer
[align=][/align]Stay strapped or get clapped.
15.5 gallon boiler, 5 gallon thumper, shotgun condenser, 57” spiraled liebig,
mash steam cooker head, 5.5 kW element with SCR controller
All modular
Tabucowboy
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Tabucowboy »

Agree with both of you.
CM Reflux Still -- Copper mesh 16" ,column 31" tall, dia. 2",temp at boiler,top of column, power - PAC w5500w Element
Pot Still -- Copper mesh 16",column, 23" tall dia. 2", temp at boiler, power - PAC w5500w Element
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

I was just thankful to get a teacher like mars hes why I never gave up on the hobby. I'll have you all know the wash is working off wonderfully
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

So the wash is down to 1020 and smells like the rum wash did wonder what it will taste like it's been almost a week I figure a couple more days
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Durhommer wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:20 am So the wash is down to 1020 and smells like the rum wash did wonder what it will taste like it's been almost a week I figure a couple more days
6 days in and at 1020.. what was the fermenting temp.. any Ph adjustment, as the trub/dunker should have been on the acidic side.. the amount of sugar added.. the cane sugar should provide the rum flavor.. plus the using of the dunker should give some good flavor..

Mars

– Albert Einstein
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

I didnt check ph I'm fermenting in my basement where its always cool like 70 degrees I added some oysters shell in the beginning like a textbook wineos run did I do something wrong? I thought a week was good for this wash I'm expecting it to hit 1000 prolly by monday
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Durhommer wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:50 pm I'm fermenting in my basement where its always cool like 70 degrees
No.. but 70*F is really to cold for baker's, if that what was used.. that would explain why it on the slow side.. otherwise all is good..

Doing a rum wash or plain sugar wash are all the same.. difference in name only so that we can communicate what is being done..

Mars

– Albert Einstein
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

I used dady on it being the only yeast on hand thanks for the info about the washes being close to the same. I can put a heat belt on it to finish out if needed.