From barrel to glass

All styles of whiskey. This is for all-grain mashes.

Moderator: Site Moderator

PoppaW
Bootlegger

From barrel to glass

Post by PoppaW »

A question about diluting. When I take my rye at lets say 60% and put two parts rye one part RO water, how long do you let it sit. If I test it right away I taste water. If I let it sit that goes away. Is it 1 hour or a day or just a few minutes until it tastes as good as it can? Not in a hurry just wondering.
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: From barrel to glass

Post by 8Ball »

I find that it does take some time to taste right after tempering down from aging to drinking strength. If I had to give you a specific time period, I’d say give it a month to marry the nrw solution. My two cents.

🎱
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
PoppaW
Bootlegger

Post by PoppaW »

Perfect. I want my rye for Christmas so will plan accordingly.
diverrick
Novice

Post by diverrick »

I got my first charred barrel recently and after putting some wood chips in the jar at what ever the Proof was that came out of the distillation probably around 110 proof. I got a nice color and a relatively smooth flavor but it had a pretty big burn in the belly and a bite on the tongue. Had been reading up on PH in washes and decided I try a little test. I cut the batch to 80 proof and poured it into the barrel. Have not noticed much change but it has only been a week after all. I pulled off and half a shot glass out of the oak barrel and checked the PH. It was at 4,3 I added a pinch of Bicarb and brought it up to 4.5 and gave it a good stir. There was some residual Bicarb on the bottom but just a few grains. It was a small batch. It made a world of difference in smoothing out the bite and the burn. Opinions? I don't think I'll put it in the barrel I'll leave that at the more acidic level hoping I'll get more flavor of the oak. But when I put it in jars or bottles, thinking I'll adjust it at that point. The other Question is I had real good luck with the high proof and oak chips in a jar. Should I not cut it before putting it in the barrel? This batch I cut before putting it in the barrel to 80 proof. I am new to all this learning a lot.
Last edited by diverrick on Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

diverrick wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:37 am...Should I not cut it before putting it in the barrel? This batch I cut before putting it in the barrel to 80 proof. I am new to all this learning a lot...
Most distillers cask the spirits at 120-130 proof for best results. I aim for 125 proof with my bourbons too. It works good. Higher proof will extract differently from lower proof, so acceptable standards are a good place to start.

Oh, and I never add baking soda to a distillate after the spirit run. I have added it to the low wines to help with the esterification however.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K