Hurricane Laura

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

TDick
Distiller

Hurricane Laura

Post by TDick »

Oh why the hell not!

For those who said it couldn't get any worse this year, Laura is about to land as "the strongest hurricane ever to hit Southwest Louisiana".

Hope you coonass distillers are hunkered down & safe.

Watching Weather & news channels, of course the idiots have to stand outside in it just to prove....????

Always reminds me of old Ron White.
Chauncey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Hurricane Laura

Post by Chauncey »

...just wind my way, but the water surged in, and the rest of the state getting fuckin slammed. Its my ol ladys birthday. And its a triggery week for me for hurricanes cuz 15 years since i lost everything that was my life. This too shall pass. Hope erryone out west and down south of me is safe and dry. Wind is kicking hard here. High tide was some high tide.
<no stopping to corner anytime [] no parking passenger zone>

When people tell me I'll regret that in the morning, I sleep till noon.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Glad you’re safe Chauncey! Hope anyone in the path has evacuated. I went through a couple in the panhandle years ago and evacuating the area until after the storm is best if at all possible. Support and safety for all affected by this.

Cheers,
-jonny
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

This one sounds like a bad one for those in the path, the news is using terms I have never heard associated to a hurricane before.
Chauncey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Chauncey »

Now its raining in the city

TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

Thirty odd years ago I was living between Lafayette & New Iberia maybe 30 miles from the coast.
We had a Tropical Storm come in, never materialized up to a Hurricane.
I still remember the feeling, the day before it hit, standing in my front yard.
The wind was already blowing steady & there was an electricity in the air that was incredible.
I can understand why "some folks" :wtf: head to the coast for Hurricane Watch parties.

Looking at the news, it appears it was moving fast enough - already near Shreveport - not to do RELATIVELY "major damage".
"Only" one person killed.

Looks like it's about to give Memphis a much needed bath.
Chauncey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Chauncey »

I lived in lafayette back in 92 when andrew came thru. It smashed the area up hard. I saw how fast laura was moving so yeah that probably spared alot of the destruction. The lake front here was surged over the sea wall, and its been nasty sticky and rainy all day. The air is like soup. Lost power for five mins but they got it right back. Lets hope another one doesnt form up and come this way.

Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Damn, Chauncey! It sounds horrendous there, even far east of the storm. The news was showing entire trees thrust through the sides of buildings.

Stay safe and well hydrated.

Twisted
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Stay safe.

Geoff
The Baker
Hoosier Shine9
Swill Maker

Post by Hoosier Shine9 »

Hope all are safe in LA
Chauncey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Chauncey »

My lady and some friends spent the whole day yesterday and today putting together care packages and distributing supplies to laura refugees who bussed in to new orleans from the west side the state. They bought 1600 dollars worth of stuff at walmart from donations friends put in. I opened up the bar so they could get ice for all the cold products they got as i have a machine that makes the stuff hehe. Its good folks can catch a break man yeaterday was the 15th anniversary of katrina and i lost everything i owned then so i know how much all the little things, food, hygiene supplies. Etc all really help in that situation i definitely have been there and was very grateful for good people like them.

Bph
Novice

Post by Bph »

Glade y'all are safe. I lived in Beaumont Texas for a few months in 2008. During the time we live there we got hit by two hurricanes. The first one leveled the place I worked the second one flooded our apartment and our car so bad insurance had to step in. We took that money and move to Colorado cause I was done with huricans and heat for a while. Spent a week with no power in a moldy apartment sweating and watching the paint peel off the walls. I grew up and curently live in NC. We are proud I'm very much identify as Southerners but you guys down there are on another level. Much respect.