MUCH WATER AND LESS ALCOHOL

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

ravi
Novice

MUCH WATER AND LESS ALCOHOL

Post by ravi »

Dear People,
I hope all are safe and good!
Just a quick suggestion needed..I am going to strip a rum wash this weekend and after i will do final spirit run in 25 liter boiler. I have about 21 liter wash. My concern is about the final spirit run water addition for keeping my heater submersed:

I am expecting to have about about 4-5 liters of low wines at some ABV. After that I need to add about 10 liters of water to keep heater on safe side(little over conscious not to burn my heater) in 25 liter boiler. Is there any thing i need to take care while adding water? Like if i add too much water that will make final product taste bad or any effect on final product etc. :econfused: :econfused: :econfused:

Thanks in advance!
In search of Dream whiskey.................
acfixer69
Global moderator

Re: MUCH WATER AND LESS ALCOHOL

Post by acfixer69 »

Nope to bad taste just a cleaner spirit but that may not be what you're after.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

You could use all of your low wines and add wash to bring the boiler charge up to the desired level.
SaltyStaves
Distiller

Post by SaltyStaves »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:34 pm You could use all of your low wines and add wash to bring the boiler charge up to the desired level.
ravi wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:58 pmI have about 21 liter wash.
He hasn't got any wash to spare.
ravi
Novice

Post by ravi »

SaltyStaves wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:41 pm
Saltbush Bill wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:34 pm You could use all of your low wines and add wash to bring the boiler charge up to the desired level.
ravi wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:58 pmI have about 21 liter wash.
He hasn't got any wash to spare.
ya, only 21 liter of wash i have....my first rum! high molasses sugar with banana added :D...want to achieve atleast light rum....how about making 8 liter more simple dark brown sugar wash and add in final run to topup? or just do a single run very very slow(no striping run)?
ravi
Novice

Post by ravi »

acfixer69 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:31 pm Nope to bad taste just a cleaner spirit but that may not be what you're after.
yes, very right. since its my first rum run. I want as close as possible to rum taste. its my first rum :) very nervous!!
SaltyStaves
Distiller

Post by SaltyStaves »

ravi wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:33 pm ya, only 21 liter of wash i have....my first rum! high molasses sugar with banana added :D...want to achieve atleast light rum....how about making 8 liter more simple dark brown sugar wash and add in final run to topup? or just do a single run very very slow(no striping run)?
Making a ferment that is smaller than your small still, is a fail. Doubling it would be better but would still not be worth my time and energy. Tripling it or quadrupling it would be more sensible.
This isn't beer or wine. You aren't drinking every drop you ferment. Scale it up.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Only 4 to 5 liters of low wines from a 21 liter wash? You’re either leaving some of the goodness in the boiler, or dumping it down the drain. I would expect to collect at least 6 to 7 liters of low wines from 21 liters of wash, ie - roughly 1/3 of the wash...that is if you run deep enough into the stripping run.

So, the best answer for your dilemma, if you want a full flavored rum, is to brew 2 more fermenters worth of wash. Then you’ll have nearly a full boiler charge of low wines at 30%ABV approximately to run for the spirit run.

The other option is a smaller “purpose built” boiler that won’t run dry with your small low wines collection.

You’ve got to be creative as you “stumble & fumble”. There is always a solution...if you use your “hat rack”.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Your element is far too high. Add another one as close to the bottom as possible.
JesseMarques
Bootlegger

Post by JesseMarques »

still_stirrin wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:52 pm Only 4 to 5 liters of low wines from a 21 liter wash? You’re either leaving some of the goodness in the boiler, or dumping it down the drain. I would expect to collect at least 6 to 7 liters of low wines from 21 liters of wash, ie - roughly 1/3 of the wash...that is if you run deep enough into the stripping run.

So, the best answer for your dilemma, if you want a full flavored rum, is to brew 2 more fermenters worth of wash. Then you’ll have nearly a full boiler charge of low wines at 30%ABV approximately to run for the spirit run.

The other option is a smaller “purpose built” boiler that won’t run dry with your small low wines collection.

You’ve got to be creative as you “stumble & fumble”. There is always a solution...if you use your “hat rack”.
ss
Looks like I've made a mistake, I also stripped for the first time my first all molasses rum this week, didn't gone that far on tails to get a 30% low wines. Good to know I'll need a lot more colecting vessels.
ravi
Novice

Post by ravi »

JesseMarques wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:34 am
still_stirrin wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:52 pm Only 4 to 5 liters of low wines from a 21 liter wash? You’re either leaving some of the goodness in the boiler, or dumping it down the drain. I would expect to collect at least 6 to 7 liters of low wines from 21 liters of wash, ie - roughly 1/3 of the wash...that is if you run deep enough into the stripping run.

ss
Looks like I've made a mistake, I also stripped for the first time my first all molasses rum this week, didn't gone that far on tails to get a 30% low wines. Good to know I'll need a lot more colecting vessels.

no worries, better luck next time...anyway how is the taste?
JesseMarques
Bootlegger

Post by JesseMarques »

ravi wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:42 pm
Tasting good, very molassesey, a bit harsh compared with my cachaça runs
ravi
Novice

Post by ravi »

JesseMarques wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:31 pm
ravi wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:42 pm
Tasting good, very molassesey, a bit harsh compared with my cachaça runs
i found very interesting product here in Korea. its high molasses sugar, basically its have about 70 % sugar and rest molasses. So, i thought it would be better to start my first rum with this. If i like molasses flavour then i will think about adding black molasses in next batch.
Finger crossed! tomorrow i am going to run it.
cheers