Why do you distill ? Cost or Quality ?

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

stillanoob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Why do you distill ? Cost or Quality ?

Post by stillanoob »

v-child wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:00 pm
stillanoob wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:45 am Absolutely just to make a fine drop. My goal in distilling was to make apple brandy from trees I planted in a still I made out of a sheet of copper. I have spent more building my still then I have spent on spirits in 20 years. Hopefully by the time I die I will have amortized that down to a reasonable cost per bottle but right now each bottle is phenomenally expensive.
That reminds me of the Bass fishermen. By the time you add in all the rods, reels, lures, bass boat, trolling motors, depth finders and other sundry crap their fish cost them about $80 an pound.
Perfect analogy. Like the fisherman, I enjoy the process, love the gear, like to be able to brag and I couldn't care less what it cost me. :D
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Yup . Everytime I have to buy something for distilling , I remind my self how much I’m saving by not having hobbies like boating , hunting or motorbikes :D
bronctoad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bronctoad »

Yummyrum wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:32 pm Yup . Everytime I have to buy something for distilling , I remind my self how much I’m saving by not having hobbies like boating , hunting or motorbikes :D
+1 yummy
you forgot racecars :)
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

bronctoad wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:44 pm
Yummyrum wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:32 pm Yup . Everytime I have to buy something for distilling , I remind my self how much I’m saving by not having hobbies like boating , hunting or motorbikes :D
+1 yummy
you forgot racecars :)
or golf...but is golf a hobby or a sport ?
Getting hung up all day on smiles
Windswept
Swill Maker

Post by Windswept »

I got into it because I'd been wanting to try it for a long time and a part of me (smaller part now) wanted to turn it into a business and go legal. I'm on and off the fence on that now depending on how bad a day I've had at my day job!

I feel like I do make booze cheaper than I could buy it, and my profit margins would be a lot better if I'd made smarter decisions in the early days about what to buy and what's useless.

I continue doing it because I'm getting better at it and I'm finding that I can drink my own stuff hangover-free whereas I get brutal hangovers now from commercial junk.
If I didn't learn the hard way, I wouldn't learn at all!
DAD300
Master of Distillation

Post by DAD300 »

Quality was first goal, but I am a cheap bastard!
CCVM http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... d#p7104768" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Ethyl Carbamate Docs viewtopic.php?f=6&t=55219&p=7309262&hil ... e#p7309262
DSP-AR-20005
Tabucowboy
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Tabucowboy »

I love to build stuff and figure out how it works. My kids say I have to many hobbies. (Brewing, Distilling, Building Teardrop trailers, Gardening, Aquaponics, Motorcycle Rebuilds) Maybe I should find one that does not cost so much
CM Reflux Still -- Copper mesh 16" ,column 31" tall, dia. 2",temp at boiler,top of column, power - PAC w5500w Element
Pot Still -- Copper mesh 16",column, 23" tall dia. 2", temp at boiler, power - PAC w5500w Element
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

I think Jimbo said it best. I'm a cheap bastard that likes nice things.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
Windy City
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Windy City »

I started out because I thought it was the next step of evolution from being an all grain beer brewer who also loved bourbon. But through my journey I have found that I love the build of complex cool machinery that helps me make a fine drop that I am proud of. I love all aspects of this hobby, whether it’s countless days of doing a complex build or the hours in the rocking chair sitting in front of the still doing warm up and then just switching jars. This is my time. As a business owner I have high stress of making sure my company and employees are being taken care of. My time in front of the still is my time to relax and reflect while keeping busy making sure everything is running right.
I have also found a strong camaraderie on this forum and have made life long friendships that I truly cherish.
If the question is solely do I do this for cost or quality the answer is simple.
It’s about quality and trying to make the best spirit that I can. It is a matter of pride and accomplishment, so when I sit down at the end of the night and have a sipper of my own I feel happy.
Cheers
The liver is evil and must be punished
Cranky"s spoon feeding for new and novice distillers
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=52975
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

Just started to put what I have spent in this great hobby into a spread sheet and now realize that if I wanted cheap booze, I have done it wrong. I could have a lifetime stash of Jack Daniels for what I have invested in half of my stilling toys. Would I want to drink Jack for the rest of my life? F-no.
So for me it's all about the craft of distilling and controlling what I drink, by the way I still buy products that I can't make myself IE Tequila and I'm a sucker for a great barrel aged grappa .

Stay sake
OVZ
or safe
heynonny
Swill Maker

Post by heynonny »

Initally the science of it, then trying to make excellent white dog, then, (like General J D Ripper, rainwater & pure grain alcohol!), getting the highest %/proof I could get.

-hey-

Oh,look!! Its a hole in the space-time contuum!!
durty_dunderpants
Novice

Post by durty_dunderpants »

for pretty almost all of the reasons mentioned above. tradition, independence, craft, parties. but to extend, it's a lot about making something that truly matches my tastes that i can't buy anywhere. can be simple or complex.. round here finding white heartcut pure barleymalt unaged (so slightly sweet still) spirit just doesn't happen. nor does finding a caramelly aged whiskey made from the same mash as my similarly aged imperial stout.
Legba
Novice

Post by Legba »

I started because my dad built me a CM still a few years ago. I continue to distill only because I like learning things and making stuff.
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

I saw a bottle of this over the weekend...
Wellers.jpg
Wellers.jpg (18.52 KiB) Viewed 2041 times
$500.00 !

Let me rethink why I Distill !
Windswept
Swill Maker

Post by Windswept »

kiwi Bruce wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:47 am I saw a bottle of this over the weekend...

Wellers.jpg

$500.00 !

Let me rethink why I Distill !
Right? I picked up a bottle of Woodford Reserve a couple of weeks ago for 70$, had one drink out of it and thought "70$ could buy me a lot of materials for UJSSM and I'd rather drink that..."

Not saying my stuff is better, but I can tell you what I'd rather drink!
If I didn't learn the hard way, I wouldn't learn at all!
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: In the garage, either stilling or working on a dragster

Post by goinbroke2 »

Started when I was 14 to make money from high school kids(and did) but later in life got back into it because I'm cheap. Once I got better it was because I liked it better than store bought. Then I got into seeing how good I could make all grain. Then when I discovered the wife liked old sugar wash crap better than all grain corn and all grain barley...I just started doing volume. Now I'm at the point of doing 25 gal sugar washes every 4 months or so.(5 gal of 68% neutral)

It's more of a job or chore than a hobby now.
Numerous 57L kegs, some propane, one 220v electric with stilldragon controller. Keggle for all-Grain, two pot still tops for whisky, a 3" reflux with deflag for vodka. Coming up, a 4" perf plate column. Life is short, make whisky and drag race!
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

goinbroke2 wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:35 pm It's more of a job or chore than a hobby now.
It can feel like that sometimes goinbroke
Yonder
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Yonder »

Because I can. Quality is better, tho’ I didn’t know that when I started. Cost don’t mean shit if you enjoy what your doing and getting something good from it. Like a good job. Did mine for 39 years; loved it most of the time. Then it got ta be where I’d go ta bed Sunday with tears in my eyes ‘cause I knew Monday was next. You know when it’s time ta do something else.
Double, Double, toil and trouble. Fire Burn and pot still bubble.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

goinbroke2 wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:35 pm It's more of a job or chore than a hobby now.
When I put down a big ferment it takes me a weekend of hard out distilling to turn it into finished product, but that only happens a couple of weekends a year. It can be hard work at the time depending on what I'm making, but it never feels like a chore. It's my stilling weekend and woe betide anyone one who gets in the way.

Making gin etc. from the bulk spirit will never be a chore.

I feel sorry for the distillers who try to keep their cellars full, or who are trying to fill a barrel, using any of the 'one run and done' methods with a smallish boiler. That really does sound like a chore.
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: In the garage, either stilling or working on a dragster

Post by goinbroke2 »

I think I have too many other "hobbies" so when I get low on likker it's something else I have to do. Start distilling at 9am and by 5-6pm I have about 5gal of 68%. Just checked and bubbling stopped so tomorrow will be stilling day. Today is working on the shed and the weekend is taking the motor home and mud trucks to a pocket run. Busier now that I'm retired than I ever have been, lol.
Numerous 57L kegs, some propane, one 220v electric with stilldragon controller. Keggle for all-Grain, two pot still tops for whisky, a 3" reflux with deflag for vodka. Coming up, a 4" perf plate column. Life is short, make whisky and drag race!
bilgriss
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bilgriss »

Both, but neither is the main driver. I love learning how to do things, and would rather make my own.....anything. The general trend for people to want the final product of "X" to come in a cheap box has spoiled many great things.
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

I distill for the fun of it.when I'm in the mood to do so it's quite enjoyable
You have two ears and one mouth for a reason....
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Durhommer wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:37 am I distill for the fun of it.when I'm in the mood to do so it's quite enjoyable
:ebiggrin: P
You Sir are a very lucky bugger ... enjoy :thumbup: ... as do I’m sure ... most of us :ebiggrin:
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

Thanks yummy I just today achieved a 40 minute heat to fores time with my new insulation salvaged from a metal roof job. Way better than 75 minutes with the old stuff on my mile hi 8 gallon boiler
zed255
Distiller

Post by zed255 »

I got interested when I connected with my father and found out he ran a still. Since taking it up it has been an interesting and satisfying adventure.

I like to build things and learn new skills. I have done runs to put relatively inexpensive booze in my cabinet, but doing different things and honing the craft is more of a motive than saving money. The money sunk onto everything I have related to mashing, fermenting and distilling would buy many years worth of likker. On top of that I like to teach; one of my good friends is now interested and has assisted with a couple runs.

And by several accounts I have long surpassed my 'ol man's product, which is very satisfying in itself.
----------
Zed

When the Student is ready, the Master will appear.
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

Zed its awesome you are passing on the craft and that your dad stills too. I'm teaching my daughter a bit about mashing grain as she has made my last single malt almost by herself
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

Home School.jpg
Home School.jpg (43.1 KiB) Viewed 1875 times
Thank You Windy City...We home schooled all three of ours, about the same time as I did start stilling... and now I think you nailed it !
This must be why I Still ! ! ! :clap:
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

v-child wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:00 pm
stillanoob wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:45 am Absolutely just to make a fine drop. My goal in distilling was to make apple brandy from trees I planted in a still I made out of a sheet of copper. I have spent more building my still then I have spent on spirits in 20 years. Hopefully by the time I die I will have amortized that down to a reasonable cost per bottle but right now each bottle is phenomenally expensive.
That reminds me of the Bass fishermen. By the time you add in all the rods, reels, lures, bass boat, trolling motors, depth finders and other sundry crap their fish cost them about $80 an pound.
You left out that jacked custom $65,000 pickup to haul the boat . And , the fact that may , like me , fish 'catch and release' . What does one of them fish you let go and didn't eat cost per pound ?
Kind of like hunting with a camera .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
Alberta Rye Man
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Alberta Rye Man »

Anything I do on my own gives me a sense of pride. I think that was my initial reason. I still get that through improvement. I'm still young in this, so I've got lots of improvement to look forward to. I do, also remember feeling cheated and pissed off at the price of the last bottle I bought though....
Up in the Shed
Novice

Post by Up in the Shed »

Where I live, a 60 ouncer of cheapest crap booze cost $65, no exception. So definitely enjoy making it for $5 a bottle. However, now I prefer homemade. Enjoy the flavour more and the quality.
Up in the Shed

---20 Gallon EHERMS, 2" Pot Stil---