Good off the shelf power controller

If it plugs in, post it here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Canuckwoods
Swill Maker

Good off the shelf power controller

Post by Canuckwoods »

I'm looking for an off the shelf power controller that can do both 120 and 240 volts as I have both heating elements. Any reasonably priced options?
thanks
No I don't want to build my own
charcoal
Swill Maker

Re: Good off the shelf power controller

Post by charcoal »

Buy a controller and an on/off switch.

One element goes on switch for course control. For fine control, use any controller for your wattage from Aliexpress.
dukethebeagle120
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by dukethebeagle120 »

An scr
Get em on amazon
10000 watt
its better to think like a fool but keep your mouth shut,then to open ur mouth and have it confirmed
seabass
Rumrunner

Post by seabass »

What's your budget? Finding a pre-built one that can run two elements with different requirements will be expensive if you can even find one. If you are determined to go that route, check out the plug n play power regulators on auberins.com and stilldragon.

The auber ones are gonna range from a few hundred for a kit to $800 for a still control panel. They're good, but extremely expensive if not going the diy route.
NineInchNails

Post by NineInchNails »

seabass wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:06 pm What's your budget? Finding a pre-built one that can run two elements with different requirements will be expensive if you can even find one. If you are determined to go that route, check out the plug n play power regulators on auberins.com and stilldragon.

The auber ones are gonna range from a few hundred for a kit to $800 for a still control panel. They're good, but extremely expensive if not going the diy route.
I know Still Dragon sells simple kits, but I don't recall them selling assembled kits. I recall them saying they can't because of liability BS and all that.

I'd do an Auber build before I'd ever buy one. Too damn expensive.
user604
Novice

Post by user604 »

NineInchNails wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:19 pm I'd do an Auber build before I'd ever buy one. Too damn expensive.
No doubt they're expensive, but so is buying all the tools/supplies to complete a DYI controller. ;) Not to mention the time involved, learning to build a (presumably) one off item.

For my 240V build, I'm probably going to buy a CUBE Tabletop Brewing Controller; with an EZBoil 300/400 instead of the controller they normally come with. The email reply I received from Auber mentioned, in passing, that the controller on the CUBE 2S model can control the AUX outputs... no idea though if that would actually control a 120V heating element.
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

Rate something similar https://www.ebay.it/itm/110V-220V-AC-10 ... 2863867290 I cannot guarantee anything because I do not know this product specific but I use a similar homemade module but it is 220v.
Up in the Shed
Novice

Post by Up in the Shed »

I recently did a build using Auber Instruments controls. It is also available as a prebuilt unit. I highly recommend Auber. I have been using their PID's for over 10 years in my smokers, without a single failure or replacement. Been using their power regulator PID combo for over a year doing All grain Beer and also use it for distillation. It is perfectly multi purpose, and 0-100% increments for the power regulations give infinite adjustment when distilling.
Up in the Shed

---20 Gallon EHERMS, 2" Pot Stil---
seabass
Rumrunner

Post by seabass »

https://www.auberins.com/index.php?main ... cts_id=785

I pieced it together myself and used a different box, but what I but it's very similar to this one. Not sure if I saved money doing it my way because I tried not to keep track of the cost. I love this setup. It's got everything I need for mashing and distilling.
zach
Swill Maker

Post by zach »

Blichmann has one 240V or 120V not both.