Is the baker's yeast slower than brewer's/distillers yeast?

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

kyolic
Bootlegger

Is the baker's yeast slower than brewer's/distillers yeast?

Post by kyolic »

I have never used baker's yeast before and planning to give it a go. My 1080 mash ferments dry in 5 days with good quality wine yeast (using Yeast Bomb as the nute). Will it ferment dry in 5 days also with the baker's yeast? I really cannot wait any longer than that.

And how much baker's yeast should I pitch in 40 liters of mash at 1080?

Thanks in advance.
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Re: Is the baker's yeast slower than brewer's/distillers yeast?

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

2 things you need. Tempature definition and later, patience.

I have had bakers finish in 3 days. But I am not afraid to let it roll at 100 degrees. At 70, the same yeast would take the better of 2 weeks. All about tempature.

The second is patience. There is so much benefit to letting a ferment go longer. Even if it finishes, I always recommend letting it sit even another week. While on the trub, yeast will continue to clean up the wash/ mash, even after the sugars are all gone.

1.08 is the upper limit of sg imo, but it's not outside optimal for bakers. I don't see them being stressed. That is, unless, you ferment at high temp and push it fast to fit your expectations.

To answer directly, bakers, 5 days, in my shed, no problem. But I never really stand over it as it doesn't matter. It will be ready when it's ready, and I let it rest. I do a 2-3 week stress free (me and the yeast) schedule.

When people start talking fast ferments with high yield, i start to wonder about their intentions. And surely question their thoughts of quantity vs. quality.
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Whatcha’ fermenting?

Baker’s yeast will be a fast fermenter if the conditions are right for it.
1) proper fermenting temperature...and bakers likes it warmer than a lot of typical beverage yeasts.
2) adequate nutrients...most all grain ferments have plenty of nutrients available to beverage yeasts and also bakers.
3) good aeration at the start of the ferment....yeast populations will “bud”, or reproduce to build the necessary cell count for an active ferment. Oxygen helps this phase of the process. Ironically, over pitching yeast is NOT necessary if the conditions for budding are met.
4) pH management...if you’re fermenting sugar washes, acid production control measures may be needed to keep the yeast from stopping too soon. Grain ferments typically don’t have this problem because the grains buffer the acid production.

In conclusion, I’ve found baker’s yeast works quite good for most ferments. A wine or champagne yeast may be better suited for a wine must ferment (fruit) or a sugar wash because of the flavor profiles they present for the fruit ferments. Baker’s yeast is a natural for a grain ferment by the same token. I use baker’s yeast for my rum ferments too.

Give it a try and see.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

It might finish in 5 days. I’d use 20 grams. I’d also pay attention to all the great advice you’ve been given.

🎱
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
kyolic
Bootlegger

Post by kyolic »

ShineonCrazyDiamond wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:35 am 2 things you need. Tempature definition and later, patience.

At 70, the same yeast would take the better of 2 weeks.
86 degrees is the maximum I can reach. So I think that it will ferment within a week with proper amount of Yeast Bomb added. Am I right?

And also how much of it for 40 liters of wash at 1080 OG?
kyolic
Bootlegger

Post by kyolic »

still_stirrin wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:38 am
Whatcha’ fermenting?

Fruit mash.
kyolic
Bootlegger

Post by kyolic »

8Ball wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:07 am It might finish in 5 days. I’d use 20 grams. I’d also pay attention to all the great advice you’ve been given.

🎱
20 grams for 40 liters of mash at 1080 OG? Is that really enough? I remember reading 70-80 grams for 40 liters. :?
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

They all gave great advice in my opinion. I have used many types of yeast and brewer's yeast will make a good ferment even if it has its own flavor profile, then it depends on which yeast you use. Lately, especially for fruit ferments I am using bayanus yeast, used in winemaking and for sparkling wines and it has a really excellent profile. Each yeast will then be able to withstand a certain alcohol content after which it could block. I also believe that 20g is sufficient. Generally when beer is produced the quantity of yeast is quite oversized, hence perhaps the uncertainty about the quantities. If possible prefer a cool temperature but I think you are in a hurry so you could push the high limit (although I wouldn't).
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation

Post by still_stirrin »

kyolic wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:11 am
still_stirrin wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:38 am
Whatcha’ fermenting?

Fruit mash.
So, I’d recommend a wine yeast or the Lalvin EC-1118 champagne yeast, although these will ferment slower. But, they will give you a better fruit flavor in the must and wine which will make a better brandy flavor. However, just because a champagne yeast has a higher alcohol tolerance doesn’t mean you should push the gravity up there. In fact, you’ll get the best fruit flavors if you keep the OG in the 1.060-1.070 range. And then, run it in the potstill for the best flavor carryover.

Baker’s yeast will work for a fruit must, but it isn’t the best choice for the flavor potential. And beer yeasts or even distiller’s yeast likewise will work, but again are not the best choice.

I recommend reading Cranky’s “All about the fruity goodness” thread for hints and tips to processing and fermenting fruit. Apples, pears, grapes, berries, even kiwi can all benefit from the proper processes.
ss
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

kyolic wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:13 am
8Ball wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:07 am It might finish in 5 days. I’d use 20 grams. I’d also pay attention to all the great advice you’ve been given.

🎱
20 grams for 40 liters of mash at 1080 OG? Is that really enough? I remember reading 70-80 grams for 40 liters. :?
I use 0.025 g per point gallon.
For your specific gravity, 1.080 & 40L (~10 gallons):
80*10*0.025=20.0 grams
Consider dropping your OG down to 1.065 or less.

Make a yeast starter while you are mashing in. Hydrate the yeast in 1L (~ 1QT) warm water-only for 15-30 minutes. Add 2 oz (60 ml) of converted mash (or wash). Aerate your mash well and pitch the starter. You should have a good grain cap within 4-6 hours as long as your temperature is optimal.

🎱
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation

Post by still_stirrin »

Kyolic,

Here’s a hotlink to Cranky’s thread I recommended you read: https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtop ... 94&t=48881
ss
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

ShineonCrazyDiamond wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:35 am
To answer directly, bakers, 5 days, in my shed, no problem. But I never really stand over it as it doesn't matter. It will be ready when it's ready, and I let it rest. I do a 2-3 week stress free (me and the yeast) schedule.

When people start talking fast ferments with high yield, i start to wonder about their intentions. And surely question their thoughts of quantity vs. quality.
100%
Notwithstanding the character influence different yeasts can impart, if you're looking to increase yield and/or expedite processing for the sake of your distilling schedule, simply put two or three more fermentation buckets into service.
Always have something working off, something clearing, and something ready to run. Once you dial in the rotation you really never have to stand over anything nor really touch anything beyond just a handful of minutes per week really.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
Smokee
Swill Maker

Post by Smokee »

I agree with Still_Stirrin on the EC 1118. I'm a die-hard Fleischmann's user for my whiskey but use champagne yeast for my fruit ferments. I did a cherry brandy a few years ago and it turned out well on EC. My first try was with baker's and it was no bueno. I didn't like it, did a little research and found the champagne yeast was preferred.
BourbonStreet
Swill Maker

Post by BourbonStreet »

I’ve tried just about every yeast out there, and Fleischmann’s is hard to beat for whiskey. It’s not super fast, but it tastes good and clears well. I like to use Red Star Montrachet for my wines, though. I make a lot of reds.