Adding top temp sensor to T500?

If it plugs in, post it here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Kukukraut
Novice

Adding top temp sensor to T500?

Post by Kukukraut »

I would like to add a top temperature sensor to a Turbo 500 reflux column, similar to the one that came with their early model. Should i just drill an off-center hole into the top piece? If someone has an early model t500 would you please let me know where they put the probe or post a pic?
Turning my habit into a hobby one drop at a time.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Re: Adding top temp sensor to T500?

Post by Saltbush Bill »

There realy is no point in doing that...... its easier to run a T500 by watchibg the product output speed........watching temps on either a top or bottom thermometer wont tell you anything that your nose or eyes and tastebuds cant.
Learn to run one that way and you wont look back.
NineInchNails

Post by NineInchNails »

I'd drill a hole and insert a brass tube and solder that tube in place. I plug the end of the tube with a dab of solder first. Now you can stick the probe in the tube and pull it out whenever you want without tools or any fuss what so ever. It's the best thermowell you can have. I tried replacing the brass tube with copper tube, but the size was too darn snug. I ended up breaking an RTD sensor because the fit was so snug. You can find the brass tube at your local Ace Hardware or on Amazon.

I get what Saltbush Bill is saying, I don't disagree, but my EZboil has an RTD sensor so I use it to monitor the boiler's heat-up and if I don't pay close attention it can sound an alarm and/or even maintain 170F so it doesn't get carried away. Once the boiler is up to temp, I move the sensor at the top of the column. Once again it can sound an alarm to let me know the vapor is rising up the column. Occasionally looking at the temp lets me know when I'm nearing the end of a run. You don't run a still based on the temp, but temp is a data point and a extremely convenient tool with a good controller. A temp probe is not at all required, but it is very handy in my opinion.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Temp probs on T500s only tell you the temp of water leaving the reflux coil.
If you need to know that to run a CM still you need to spend a few more days at Stillin School.
NineInchNails

Post by NineInchNails »

I'm not really familiar with the T500, but I thought there were a location to read the vapor takeoff temp.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

NineInchNails wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:18 pm I'm not really familiar with the T500, but I thought there were a location to read the vapor takeoff temp.
A T500 was my first still, I spent many hours beside it......I'm very familiar with how they work and their various idiosyncrasies.
Kukukraut
Novice

Post by Kukukraut »

I have ordered a SCR to use to regulate the boiler temp, I also want to cool the condenser and the reflux torpedo separately. When I do this the temp sensor at the water output will be useless, which is why I want to monitor the head temp.

As Saltbush recommends, I could just watch the output from the condenser. I added two more packs of copper saddles to the still and switched to the copper dome. That raised the water output temp by several degrees, so I need to adjust the water flow accordingly. I am learning to ignore the temperature sensor, but it nice to have.

I like Nineinchnail’s suggestion, but that would mean drilling into the column directly and I am concerned with interfering with the torpedo.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Kukukraut wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:09 am I have ordered a SCR to use to regulate the boiler temp
You wont be able to regulate the boiler temp......you can only regulate how hard it boils.....or in other words how much energy you apply to the wash/ boiler.
Kukukraut
Novice

Post by Kukukraut »

Well, it looks like I am not going to drill any holes to add a temp sensor. Saltbush Bill is correct, I can can watch my product output flow and get the the info I want.