der wo?

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Broken Jug
Bootlegger

der wo?

Post by Broken Jug »

Even though I just joined this site a couple months or so ago, I’ve been following it for a few years.

When I first started following this site, a few people/posters stood out to me. One member in particular, was der wo.

I haven’t seen any new post or replies from him since 2018.

Just curious if he’s ok (I hope he is), or if life got in the way and he just faded away by his own choice?

I really enjoyed reading his posts and comments.

Just curious if anyone knows what happened to him?
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Re: der wo?

Post by Twisted Brick »

Yes, Der Wo was one of the most deeply knowledgeable distillers to contribute here. More than once he was critical of several posts that flirted with rules f, g, h here . Unfortunately, he then began questioning how effectively the mods were enforcing those rules and was given multiple opportunities to desist. After handing out several timeouts, weary of the distraction, the mods followed through and banned him.

A true loss for all.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Broken Jug
Bootlegger

Post by Broken Jug »

Sorry to hear that.

Thank you for the info!
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

and there are dozens like him...if you right click on someones name and the line next to "late time visited" is blank...then they're gone. The rules are there to keep everyone happy here...a resource to promote the hobby, NOT a personal agenda or to willfully go out of your way to be hurtful. I'm not saying that we don't make mistakes...I'm famous for drunk typing and getting in trouble, that's why we have mods...and we ARE expected in pay attention to their admonitions.
Getting hung up all day on smiles
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

We have definitely worked hard to treat all members the same, we have lost some very knowledgeable members but to be true to our values and rules know one is above the rules. Not always easy but we have a good group of mods and administrators to discuss it before one of us acts.
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

I'm pretty sure I saw him posting over on https://hobbybrennen.ch/ when I was lurking around.
The profile pic looked familiar, but either his name is different or my auto translate was translating it into "wherever" I think, or something similar. A rough translation from German and that would make a bit of sense, and it would be kinda funny if he had a German name here and an English one there, or maybe it was translated, IDK if it does that, it certainly didn't translate all the handles. Anyway, the posting style, precision, subject matters, and that polite but firm way of saying "yeah, thats wrong, but here are answers" were what I noticed as familiar, classic der wo

I think I'll go join up and say hello.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Zapata you have a lot more patients than I do as I could never spend time at a forum that I would have to use a translator to get my information.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

zapata wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:27 am I'm pretty sure I saw him posting over on https://hobbybrennen.ch/ when I was lurking around.
The profile pic looked familiar, but either his name is different or my auto translate was translating it into "wherever" I think, or something similar.
Indeed, you saw Der Wo's presence on hobbybrennen.ch. He is a regular contributor there, much to the benefit of its members. From his contributions here, it is obvious that he is a talented individual and highly intelligent, not to mention his ability to converse on a technical level with others in a second language. I admire his ability to politely inform you that you are wrong.

On a side note: I took a number of years of German in high school, and Der Wo literally translates to 'The Where'. It is correctly pronounced 'DARE Vo'. I believe his avatar here originated from an old TV show aired in Germany.

By all means pop in at hobbybrennen.ch. I'm sure he'll remember you.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Setsumi
Distiller

Post by Setsumi »

Twisted Brick wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:11 am
zapata wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:27 am I'm pretty sure I saw him posting over on https://hobbybrennen.ch/ when I was lurking around.
The profile pic looked familiar, but either his name is different or my auto translate was translating it into "wherever" I think, or something similar.
Indeed, you saw Der Wo's presence on hobbybrennen.ch. He is a regular contributor there, much to the benefit of its members. From his contributions here, it is obvious that he is a talented individual and highly intelligent, not to mention his ability to converse on a technical level with others in a second language. I admire his ability to politely inform you that you are wrong.

On a side note: I took a number of years of German in high school, and Der Wo literally translates to 'The Where'. It is correctly pronounced 'DARE Vo'. I believe his avatar here originated from an old TV show aired in Germany.

By all means pop in at hobbybrennen.ch. I'm sure he'll remember you.
thank you Twisted Brick. i checked out the link and indeed there is der who! i am fortunate to have read his input here, always wondered about his still.... others that i appreciate that are not here any more... mash rooki... lost him because of illness.. old dog, dont see him posting any more. goose eye, sometimes and have to take a day to understand but always so informative... rad my favorite, flying dutchmen that taught me so much on plates while i never saw him posting about his own rig.. BUT there are so many active members that fill there shoes and from who i continue to learn. HD is not individuals but there are members that stand out, past and present.
My first flute
My press
My twins
My controller
My wife tells me I fell from heaven covered in white. Why did they let me fall?
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

I miss der wo.

Geoff
The Baker
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

I think you all know where to find him if you need to that bad .