Chinese still worth it?

Moderator: Site Moderator

RevA
Novice

Chinese still worth it?

Post by RevA »

Hi,
I'm looking at getting a small still just to play around with different washes and flavors. It gets a bit expensive to make 10-20 gal washes that are not something I'd like a lot of. Does anyone know if the Chinese stills that are basically a stainless pot with a copper worm attached can make decent moonshine?
Last edited by acfixer69 on Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed unwanted advertisment
Bushman
Admin

Re: Chinese still worth it?

Post by Bushman »

Do you have a link to the still you are referring too so members can evaluate it.
RevA
Novice

Post by RevA »

Bushman wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:16 am Do you have a link to the still you are referring too so members can evaluate it.
image.png
https://www.banggood.com/2GAL-or-3GAL-o ... rehouse=CN

It is one of these basically
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

CopperFiend
Swill Maker

Post by CopperFiend »

Yeah I've got one of those. Was my first. It is really really slow, very easy to puke and a bugger to clean. The worm is never in a fully downward position no matter what you do with it, so there are always pockets of liquid that pool. Useable, but I'd recommend building a still any day.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

You get what you pay for.....cheap usually means exactly that.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

If you want a small still, you're better off getting a 8 gallon milk can boiler and building a pot still and a liebig or a shotgun condensor. I wouldnt dink around with a worm condesner personally.

Edit: I'll just add that after you make yur first good batch of booze, you'll be upgrading anyway. Plan accordingly...
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Deplorable wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:13 pm I wouldnt dink around with a worm condesner personally.
I've recently bought a European copper alembic that came with a worm condenser. I automated the worm and I'm very impressed with how well it works. Cool product out and very hot waste water to the drain.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

NZChris wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:25 pm
Deplorable wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:13 pm I wouldnt dink around with a worm condesner personally.
I've recently bought a European copper alembic that came with a worm condenser. I automated the worm and I'm very impressed with how well it works. Cool product out and very hot waste water to the drain.
You, my good sir, are the master of automation. You seem to have all the cool widgits and whizbangs. I wish you were into pictures Chris, I'd love to see your collection of solenoids, valves, and other tricks. :wink:
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

This one is too easy.

Drop the thermocouple into the flake stand to the height of the condensate outlet.

Use any cheap fleabay/whatever solenoid valve and controller to gravity feed water into the bottom of the flake stand. I use 12V DC because sometimes I run off-grid. Overflow into a bucket and use the hot water to clean up after the run.
Alkyholik
Novice

Post by Alkyholik »

I just did my 1st wash with a similar still from china and worked great. Mines is a 3 pot version. I posted about it asking if they were any good, before I did my 1st wash.
From 18l I got 2.7l of fair neutral alcohol