Facebook lurking

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

Facebook lurking

Post by Uncle Jesse »

Well I recently joined a group for Moonshining/Home Distilling on FB, just to see what's up, and it's pretty cool to see a lot of folks making UJSSM and other recipes from HD. Not all of the things on there meet the HD safety standards, but I keep my mouth shut. You can lead a horse to water...
If only the best birds sang, the woods would be silent.
jog666
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Facebook lurking

Post by jog666 »

The few groups I joined didnt last but a few days. I dont think I even posted or replied to anything.
XDStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by XDStill »

Yep, I tried a few as well. Tried to gently correct some disinformation and finally said the hell with it and left.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I have enough trouble getting to the other distilling forums that I am a member of as I spend most all my time here.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Facebook and reddit can both be a cluster .... at times.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

I get all of my education here. FB is "for entertainment purposes only".
That said, I won't join or comment on distilling pages on FB or Instagram. I dont trust FB and what they do with the information they collect.
I do subscribe to Still it. I like Jesse's videos.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Jstroke
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Jstroke »

Agreed UJ, I snoop around from time to time in other places when I have time which is rare. Funny to see wisdom/methods that start here in other places. Funnier yet when it's thought of as "new".
If in doubt leave it out.
brat
Bootlegger

Post by brat »

Am in a group in facebook. No one seems to post anything anymore. But I did to see a bunch of mason jar thumpers. And ton of people making Popcorn Sutton a god like figure. It seems that a lot of people get into this hobby to fell like outlaws and not to make a quality spirit. But to each their own.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

brat wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:20 pm ... It seems that a lot of people get into this hobby to fell like outlaws and not to make a quality spirit. But to each their own.
Well, to be fair...
A little piece of me is in it for the outlaw thing. I liken it to my own little whiskey rebellion. I pay enough in taxes, they dont need to tax my liquor too. I aint sellin it, so I figure I aint pinchin' in on their tax revenue. Piss on 'em. Whether or not I can make a consistent quality spirit remains to be seen I rekon, but I have been busy as hell since August building up aging stock to find out. :lol:
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
GreenEnvy22
Swill Maker

Post by GreenEnvy22 »

I joined a FB distilling group as well, but try to educate about safety as I can.
---
I have a 50L pot still with dual Liebig condenser.
I typically make Whisky, grappa, and brandy.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

GreenEnvy22 wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:48 pm I joined a FB distilling group as well, but try to educate about safety as I can.
What is an FB?

Afterthought: Face Book?
Something I studiously avoid.

Geoff
The Baker
GreenEnvy22
Swill Maker

Post by GreenEnvy22 »

The Baker wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:43 pm
GreenEnvy22 wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:48 pm I joined a FB distilling group as well, but try to educate about safety as I can.
What is an FB?

Afterthought: Face Book?
Something I studiously avoid.

Geoff
Indeed facebook.
It's mostly a cesspool but still the easiest way to keep in touch with friends and family, especially ones not local.
---
I have a 50L pot still with dual Liebig condenser.
I typically make Whisky, grappa, and brandy.