Fermaid K ingredients?

These little beasts do all the hard work. Share how to keep 'em happy and working hard.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Evil Wizard
Site Donor
Site Donor

Fermaid K ingredients?

Post by Evil Wizard »

A far as I can tell, Fermaid K is just Go-ferm and DAP.

I still use them all separately but would like to avoid paying the big price for Fermaid K.

I'd like you hear your thoughts.
Work is the curse of the drinking class. "Would you like some water?" "No thanks, I'm Irish."

Louchebag Absintheur, Apostolic Alcoholic, Whisky Icarus, Bathtub Alchemist.

Started 2005, went Pro 2017. Federal Excise 51-SL-262.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Re: Fermaid K ingredients?

Post by StillerBoy »

Fermaid K ingredients are more than just what you mention..

https://scottlab.com/fermentation-cella ... id-k-fermk

Don't pay the "big price" as you say and use what you have, but remember, you will not get the same results.. I've done the experiments using Fermaid, and the results are not comparable.. ferments finish in 3 days no matter the size of the batch..

Maybe expense at first look at the cost, but it goes a long way, as very little is required to do the task..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
Evil Wizard
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Evil Wizard »

Hey StillerBoy, always loved your signature -it applies to me too. Also nice to see another guy from Ontario.

I haven't got a 3 day ferment finish in many years, even at 29C, even with judicious FAN applications.

You are saying you get faster ferments with Fermaid K? I'm currently using .25g/L. Starting with Goferm, using a bit of Ammonium Sulphate and finishing off the needed FAN with DAP.

I'm not sure how you can simply say that Fermaid K ingredients are more than what I mention considering that Go-Ferm ingredients are not listed:
https://scottlab.com/goferm-goferm

But goferm is certainly debittered yeast and vitamins and minerals right?

Fermaid K ingredients minus DAP is: "free amino acids (organic nitrogen derived from inactivated yeast), sterols, unsaturated fatty acids, key nutrients (magnesium sulfate, thiamin, folic acid, niacin, biotin, calcium pantothenate) and inactive yeast."

So Fermaid K is Goferm plus epsom salts and Dap?
Work is the curse of the drinking class. "Would you like some water?" "No thanks, I'm Irish."

ideasinbeer
Novice

Post by ideasinbeer »

Finally! I've been looking for more folks to say this stuff. The nutrients are scientifically derived as opposed to using whatever cheap sources folks can come up with!
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Evil Wizard wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:27 am But goferm is certainly debittered yeast and vitamins and minerals right?
No..

GoFerm is yeast rehydration nutrient.. not a fermentation nutrient required by the yeast during fermentation.. two different process..
https://scottlab.com/goferm-goferm
Evil Wizard wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:27 am I haven't got a 3 day ferment finish in many years, even at 29C, even with judicious FAN applications.
Mainly cause by not having the right mix and amount of ingredients along with stable fermenting temp and Ph level..

I've experimented with many different mix of ingredients over the years.. yeast bomb, boiled trub/lee, Vit B for human consumption, and many other formula mix of ingredients.. they all work to some extent, but the fermentation time is very long , like 8 - 16 days plus, and I have come to conclude that as meaning that the environment of the wash or mash not being favorable to the yeast..

What I've settled on is a formula requiring few and small amount of ingredients, and that has resulted in ferments finishing in 3 days or less.. but the Fermaid in the biggest influencer of them all..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
Evil Wizard
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Evil Wizard »

Well hey Mars, care to share your formula? I know you arent going to say urea. I respect you too much for that.

StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Evil Wizard wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:55 am Well hey Mars, care to share your formula?
Here's the ingredients for a 6.5 gal sugar wash using 4.5K of sugar, done in 3 days, clears in another 3 days, for a 10.5% abv..

2 tsp. DAP (yeast nutrient)
2 tsp. Fermaid (yeast energizer)
1/4 tsp. Epsom salt
1/2 tsp. Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate)
2 tsp. Citric Acid (for Ph of 5.5)
2 tsp. Bentonite Clay (greatly assist in clearing)
70 gr. Bread yeast (any bread yeast with do, be instant or dry active)

The success with this formula/recipe also lies with the process and method, and can be scaled up.. I've done 20 gal batches, and friend does 35 gal batches..
Mars

– Albert Einstein
Evil Wizard
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Evil Wizard »

Thanks for that. So then the gypsum is for buffering the Citric acid?

StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Evil Wizard wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:29 pm Thanks for that. So then the gypsum is for buffering the Citric acid?
Your welcome..

No.. its mainly use to provide some minerals in a mash, very useful if your water is on the soft side of hardness, which most city waters are.. so since I use city tap water, I added the gypsum to harden the water some.. not necessary if you are not using city water..

To buffer the acidity of a wash or mash, calcium carbonate (in powder form or oyster shells)or calcium hydroxide work best for that purpose..

Mars

– Albert Einstein
Evil Wizard
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Evil Wizard »

From ingredients on box
Goferm: specific inactivated yeast. Nitrogen 9.5% of dry matter

FermaidK: inactive dry yeast, epsom salt, dap, thiamin hydrochloride, calcium pantothenate, folic acid, niacin.

Do those 4 vitamins and minerals really justify the cost?

StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Evil Wizard wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:48 am Do those 4 vitamins and minerals really justify the cost?
I'm not concern so much by the cost, as I am concern in providing the right ingredients that the yeast require to do their job..

Whatever the formulation of Fermaid is, it is worth it in providing an environment that is healthy for the yeast, thereby reducing their stress level, thereby providing a cleaner finished wash, because that's where it's at as a hobbyist..

As to its cost, I don't find it is costly went I compare the cost and time of making making a yeast bomb which by the way don't work as well by imparting a stronger yeast flavor.. it only take a little per gal..

Mars

– Albert Einstein
Evil Wizard
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Evil Wizard »

Can i ask what is a yeast bomb?

StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Evil Wizard wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:39 am Can i ask what is a yeast bomb?
Sure can.. A "yeast bomb" is a make using fresh yeast and cooking it at a med boil for at least 20 min.. or it can be made using trub/lee from a previous ferment and cooked in the same manner.. dead yeast shell are nutrient that the yeast use..

Mars

– Albert Einstein
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Pugi's Rum or "Pugirum"
https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewto ... 14&t=5994
PUGIDOGS wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:58 pm I will start with my " Yeast Bomb "
2 vitamin B, crushed with mortor and pestal
5 teaspoons of 20-0-0, agrcultural fertalizer
1/4 teaspoon of epsom salt
1/4 cup bakers yeast
1 gallon water
Boil all for 15 minutes and strain.
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

StillerBoy wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:54 am cooking it at a med boil for at least 20 min..
Why 20 min?
Evil Wizard
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Evil Wizard »

I guess debittered yeast from the bulk food store would be equivalent.

I heard yeast release chems when they die that can inhibit future yeast from trying to ferment but likely you can rinse these out.

jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Fresh bakers yeast boiled works well. I've used yeast supplement from the grocer too as well as trub.

Cheers!
-jonny
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————