Trying out my Distilling Senses in Public

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Trying out my Distilling Senses in Public

Post by Twisted Brick »

Today my wife and I went to the polls to vote. Since I finished before she did, I went back to one of the hand-sanitizer stations to conduct a test and was again forewarned that the sanitizer was watery and to be careful. With 32 fresh jars of yesterday’s newmake airing at home, my nose was ready. I squirt the thin ethanol out onto my hand and rolled my thumb and two fingers around as I passed them back and forth under my nose. Slightly hint of heads. Feels like 70-80% ABV. I couldn’t put my finger on the alcohol source so I went for another squirt. Hmmm. Corn? Yeah, ever the slightest hint of corn! Didn’t detect any tails whatsoever but needed to be sure. Since the place (our local library) was devoid of voters at the moment, I hit the plunger and again sniffed my fingers, this time with my eyes closed and eyebrows raised as high as I could get ‘em (for maximum sensory accuracy).

“Well sir, it sure looks like you’re enjoying our hand-sanitizer!”

My concentration was completely shattered by the female station attendant just as my wife was approaching. Collecting my thoughts, I opened my eyes and quickly stated that I was just checking to see if the alcohol smelled like Budweiser. We both laughed and on the way back to the car my wife asked what that was about.

“Oh, nothing dear. Nothing you would know about.”
AB Sanitizer.jpg
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
jog666
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Trying out my Distilling Senses in Public

Post by jog666 »

I did the same about the time we were "issued" hand sanitizer. I dont remember the details of where it came from but its was very big on corn & heads.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I haven't bothered to analyse the provided sanitizers as we have our own. The commercials here don't smell much of anything compared to the bottles of home made we carry. My first batch was mostly heads and foreshots with aloe gel, that seemed to react with the fores and was embarrassingly nasty, but my latest has no foreshots, no aloe, and has Juniper, Coriander and glycerol and smells quite like we are alcoholic gin drinkers. :D
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

I voted early a couple days ago.
Now I wished I'd taken a better look or even a taste of the hand sanitizer.
1 Full squirt would have almost filled a shot glass
I finally gave up on trying to rub all of it in, and had to use one of the paper towels :lol:
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Good work TB :ebiggrin: , I find this topic funny . I’m also a habitual Sanny sniffer .
I’m totally surprised at the variation between them . The ones with Isopropyl in them I trust the most .... and they smell the nicest .
The Ethanol ones are all over the place . I smelt one that I swore was made from Turbo and I couldn’t resist asking if they had made their own :wink: ... I got the “ I don’t know what you are asking about Sir”

I hate the Pump pack slimy ones OMG . They are like glue . They seem to be getting really lite on with alcohol and I guess they think people just feel safe if their hands are slimy . WTF .

I’ve been making my own for a while now too . Not my own alcohol . I just use Methylated spirits because here in Australia , its just Ethanol with a bittering agent ... no Methanol or other poisonous shit .
Like NZChris , I tried the Alovera and now use Plant based Glycerin as my wife has Alphagal from a Tick bite and gets very sick from normal Animal based Glycerin .
Corsaire
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Corsaire »

I'm a train driver. I got on the locomotive this weekend and it smelled very grainy and headsy. In fact it smelled like the shed when stilling, when you're looking forward for when the heads dissipate and the heads to hearts transition happens. I enjoyed that shift.

But now I'm wondering if one of my colleagues makes his own.
FLOB
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FLOB »

You wouldn't want to do that kind of smelling of the New York State issued sanitizer. Supposed to have a nice, floral scent but it does not. [IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202011 ... 7186bd.jpg[/IMG]
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Yummyrum wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:42 am I’m also a habitual Sanny sniffer.

I’m totally surprised at the variation between them . The Ethanol ones are all over the place .
Totally the same here. The greasy ones were probably light on ethanol, while the ones that evaporate in a second or two were probably legit.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

The stuff we get at work come from Heritage Distillery. And its pleasant to the nose with just a hint of heads. "Dry" between the fingers, not oily or slick. Smells faintly of grain.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

My girl squirted a little in my hand at the Nashville Botanical Gardens for an art install walkthrough we did couple months ago and we both swear it was pretty close to honey bear lol!

Cheers,
jonny
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
hellbilly007
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by hellbilly007 »

Some jackass put foam soap in the dispenser in a portapotty at site I deliver to. I couldn't figure why the hell it wasn't drying out :?

All this time I thought I was the only one "analyzing" sanitizer
v-child
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by v-child »

jonnys_spirit wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:55 am My girl squirted a little in my hand at the Nashville Botanical Gardens for an art install...

Cheers,
jonny
Naughty boy.