Hello from Romania

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Iulistoi
Bootlegger

Hello from Romania

Post by Iulistoi »

Hello, I am from Bucharest, Romania, eastern Europe. This region is well known for making huge amounts of home made spirits. The traditional romanian distilled beverage is țuică. Țuică, very similar with slivovitz (or șliboviță), is usualy made of plums.

I am old to this hobby, from 2010 I read alot and I made a lot of alcohol to drink, but now I became more interested in making neutrals than ever.

I have a lot to share with you but now I have to recover after a hard hit from moderators. I made the mistake of opening a topic in a wrong area without introducing myself and they disaproved my topic and deleted my first post about my actual distilling equipment. I wrote a lot about my setup and now all is lost. I don't know where I may post the next message to not bother someone. :(

I am a moderator too on a forum of making alcohol in my country but this thing I never done to someone who is not bad intended. At last I move that wrong opened topic in write place, but never delete the work of that person. Someone can spend several hours to write a message.
Bushman
Admin

Re: Hello from Romania

Post by Bushman »

Welcome, I understand that language can be a problem in a world wide forum. Hopefully you will repost your initial post. There is a reason we have the rules for approval as we do as we were getting a lot of trolls posting on the forum before we blocked entrance until the first post was approved by the moderator. Thanks for reposting in the proper thread.
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

Welcome!
It is nice to see someone from eastern Europe. There seems to be a tradition of distilling there that is quite different from the traditions and customs in western Europe, the USoA or Australia/New-Zealand.
On one of the Dutch forums there is a guy with a Romanian wife and quite old-fashioned way of distilling. He, for example, prefers wood as a fuel. Maybe he likes your Romanian forum too. Can you give the adress?
Iulistoi
Bootlegger

Post by Iulistoi »

http://bauturi.3xforum.ro/
But you should be registered to view the content. We will think to open the forum again for viewers. There was concerns of one of the moderators about the legality isues and incriminating nature of posting about distilling equipments, especially those with reflux columns and our decision was to keep the forum closed.

Yes, at the countryside, a lot of people use wood as fuel. It is cheaper than gas but difficult to adjust the heat, especially when making cuts. But here is a technique and practice makes perfect.

When I was child, i remember my relatives used such an old fashioned, wood fueled potstill for making țuică out of plums, mirabells, apricots, pears and apples or tescovină made of spent pulp after pressing grapes for making wine. But I dont like tescovina. :)

Now I'm a kitchen hobbyst. Living in a flat appartament doesnt stop me to make tons of alcohol. I made everything from apple cider, beer, mead, wine to distilled spirits (all grain/all malt whiskey, brandy, cherry liqueur or 95% abv neutral alcohol).

Now I became interested in making anhydrous ethanol for making biodiesel. Everything I did was just for fun, hobby and for the sake of science. I would be glad to share my experience with others and learn new and interesting stuff.
VLAGAVULVIN
Distiller

Post by VLAGAVULVIN »

Yepp, it's a pity: Trebuie sa fiti autentificat pentru a accesa aceasta pagina.

(need to know some Italian and any Slavic to surf the Romanian forums, lol)

Welcome aboard. Would love to hear about some rural țuică/цуйка tradition.

har druckit för mycket
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

Thanks. I forwarded the link, let's see if he knows it.

I don't know any Romanian, but long ago I learned some Latin and my own language has a lot words coming from Latin. And a lot of words are common, of course. At least I can read the alfabet and if need be there is always on line translation, which is workable, nowadays.
Problem is registration.
I doubt that keeping the forum closed is effective against the government. Don't you think some official is able to register as a user, if he wants to?

Would like to hear about the customs and experiences of your country and yourself.
Iulistoi
Bootlegger

Post by Iulistoi »

As long as we dont talk about huge amounts of alcohol produced or keeped, showing huge boilers or selling illicit alcohol, it is fine. It can be easily proved that is for own consumption or hobby and it is all right.

In Romania is legal to have a pot still and distill but if the autorities find a quantity of alcohol in your house over what is legal, theoreticaly you can have troubles. I know a lot of people who make tons of spirits per year, selling much of it and dont have any stress. But as you remarked, Kareltje, this is why we preffer to keep the forum closed. Better safe than sorry.
VLAGAVULVIN
Distiller

Post by VLAGAVULVIN »

Iulistoi wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:31 am I know a lot of people who make tons of spirits per year, selling much of it and dont have any stress.
Normally, the policemen do know the guys like those. But the police is charged, and not only by palinca ;)

har druckit för mycket
Fredistiller
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Fredistiller »

Welcome to this forum! I travelled a lot to Romania, Cluj Napoca and hiked the fagaras, the Rodnei, the Calimani many times. I tasted a lot of plums and apricots Tuica/ Palinka also. I really loves your country and if everything goes well, I'll start a tourism business with my Hungarian/Romanian friend next year but that's an other story....
Iulistoi
Bootlegger

Post by Iulistoi »

Glad to hear you enjoyed holydays in Romania!
And thank you all for welcome!
zach
Swill Maker

Post by zach »

Bine ati venit

I've been to Romania twice and am a fan of tuica.