G'Day from Oz

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

PabloJura
Novice

G'Day from Oz

Post by PabloJura »

Hey All,
Newbie here. I have been following and reading some of the basics. I am an industrial chemist by trade and qualifications. My old man has been a home distillery forever and i thought it was time to put some of my science into the black art. I put together a small pot still ~20Lt (just over 5 gal for you imperials). Just did my first run of rum. No issue with the ferment and stripping run. Pretty basic chemistry, but I have been reading up on the blending art as this is less scientific and more by nose and taste. I haven't yet started the blend, probably in the next week to give my cuts a chance to stabilise before trying my hand. Looking to learn from all the successes and failures from the community. Hopefully I will be able to add my own stories of what to do and not to do.
Cheers Pablo.
VLAGAVULVIN
Distiller

Re: G'Day from Oz

Post by VLAGAVULVIN »

Hi PJ, welcome on board. Please, note that blending the newmakes and blending the properly aged things are different animals.
PabloJura wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:52 am I am an industrial chemist by trade and qualifications.
:thumbup:

{Mine:
_qualifications: yes
_trade: noes
:mrgreen:}

har druckit för mycket
thecroweater
retired

Re: G'Day from Oz

Post by thecroweater »

Your trade knowledge will come into play I'm sure, maybe not so much determining cuts but ferments and amelioration. What state are you from
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin