Fittings for a Shotgun?

Anything cooling/condenser related.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Bee
Swill Maker

Fittings for a Shotgun?

Post by Bee »

I'm trying to put together a shotgun condenser and I'm having some problem figuring out what parts to use. I'm not a plumber, so I don't know what is available or even what it would be called. The only things I know for sure are that I want a ball valve on the inlet side and that I want to hook up the male end of a garden hose on the inlet and the female end of a garden hose on the outlet.

So if you could help me out with a BOM I'd appreciate it.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Fittings for a Shotgun?

Post by Deplorable »

For the water in and out ports, I used (2) 1/2 inch NPT copper adapters https://www.supplyhouse.com/Elkhart-301 ... 186aed93cd
To those, use a NPT to GHT brass adapter, one MM and one MF.
https://www.supplyhouse.com/Bluefin-GHM ... se-Adapter
and
https://www.supplyhouse.com/Sioux-Chief ... ead-to-MIP
I dont use a ball valve, I use (2) 1/2 inch gate valves on a manifold I built from peices of leftover 3/4 and 1/2 copper pipe.
One for the PC, and one for the RC. Neither need to be opened more than a trickle to acheive proper cooling.
https://www.supplyhouse.com/Bluefin-GTV ... -Lead-Free

I put the manifold on the end of the garden hose running into the garage, and turn on the water at the hose bib. The manifold has a 3/4 inch gate valve on the end. Hook up one short hose to the shotgun inlet from the maifold, and another short hose from the outlet to a hose splitter attached to a waste hose flowing out of the garage to a water drain.
the RC is connected in the same manner, and both condensers can be operated induvidually from the manifold, draining to the same hose out to the drain.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Bee
Swill Maker

Post by Bee »

Do you have a picture of your setup?

Do they make ball valves threaded like that? I really don't like gate valves. Seems like I'm constantly replacing those leaky SOBs around the house.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Here's a shotgun I built awhile back, maybe there's some info you might find useful
viewtopic.php?f=87&t=49639
30xs
Swill Maker

Post by 30xs »

I used 1/2” to 3/8” fnpt adapters cut short for both my shotguns and dephlegs. It keeps the fittings closer to flush to keep from damaging and then I can three in whatever fitting I want, not locked into any one fitting permanently.
F4882FA6-A2DE-4810-86BE-587AA16FBEEB.jpeg
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

Nice copper work
You have two ears and one mouth for a reason....
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Bee wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:05 am Do you have a picture of your setup?

Do they make ball valves threaded like that? I really don't like gate valves. Seems like I'm constantly replacing those leaky SOBs around the house.
Sacrificial cleaning run
Sacrificial cleaning run
Yes they do, and that supply house linked has good prices and fast shipping. I have a couple of 1/2 threaded quarter turn ball valves that I used before I built my manifold.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Bee
Swill Maker

Post by Bee »

Why did you go from ball valves to gate valves?
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

A couple of reasons. I feel like I get a little bit better control of the water flow with a gate valve, a round knob is less prone to being bumped closed when barely open, and they fit better on my manifold.

Another nice benifit of using a cooling water manifold is when Im only running a product condenser, I have a 2nd hose handy to clean the fermenter, and whatnots while the still is running a stripping run without running a 2nd hose into the garage.

My manifold is really pretty simple, but it sure beats trying to manage water flow at the hose bib, or having a valve on the condenser adding more weight to an already 5.5 pounds of water filled shotgun hanging off the still.
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

Deplorable wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:23 am A couple of reasons. I feel like I get a little bit better control of the water flow with a gate valve, a round knob is less prone to being bumped closed when barely open, and they fit better on my manifold.

Another nice benifit of using a cooling water manifold is when Im only running a product condenser, I have a 2nd hose handy to clean the fermenter, and whatnots while the still is running a stripping run without running a 2nd hose into the garage.

My manifold is really pretty simple, but it sure beats trying to manage water flow at the hose bib, or having a valve on the condenser adding more weight to an already 5.5 pounds of water filled shotgun hanging off the still.
So it weighs about 6 pounds full of water? Not bad does it lean on the still or stand up ok
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Durhommer wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:59 am
Deplorable wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:23 am A couple of reasons. I feel like I get a little bit better control of the water flow with a gate valve, a round knob is less prone to being bumped closed when barely open, and they fit better on my manifold.

So it weighs about 6 pounds full of water? Not bad does it lean on the still or stand up ok
The shotgun? I don't think its adding any undue load. The lid and column support it fine.
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

Great to know I'm trying to get one I'm just wondering how the water will hook up as in what he will use to fit my hoses to it I just use hose clamps right now I'd like to keep it that simple
tombombadil
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tombombadil »

Did anybody else open this one thinking it was going to be about choke tubes?
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

tombombadil wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:42 pm Did anybody else open this one thinking it was going to be about choke tubes?
I prefer a modified choke for upland game birds, and full choke for turkeys
tombombadil
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tombombadil »

Deplorable wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:45 pm
tombombadil wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:42 pm Did anybody else open this one thinking it was going to be about choke tubes?
I prefer a modified choke for upland game birds, and full choke for turkeys
I'm running improved cylinder and modified in my O/U for chasing desert quail at the moment. Modified in my semi auto. I haven't figured out which is better yet.

I'm totally new to hunting though so I don't know what the hell I'm doing yet.
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

We sooo funny. Back on topic if ya got anything.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Durhommer wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:07 am Great to know I'm trying to get one I'm just wondering how the water will hook up as in what he will use to fit my hoses to it I just use hose clamps right now I'd like to keep it that simple
These are what I used and will be going on yours. Makes it easy to hook up and break down using hose clamps.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Bee
Swill Maker

Post by Bee »

Twisted Brick wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:08 pm
Durhommer wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:07 am Great to know I'm trying to get one I'm just wondering how the water will hook up as in what he will use to fit my hoses to it I just use hose clamps right now I'd like to keep it that simple
These are what I used and will be going on yours. Makes it easy to hook up and break down using hose clamps.
They graciously muffed up that link for you. :)
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

Twisted Brick wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:08 pm
As bee pointed out the link is bad
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Sorry gents, it worked yesterday! I was just finishing a bourbon strip...

The (bad) link is for a 1/2" copper female threaded adapter, the same ones I (and Deplorable) used.
IMG_8997.jpg
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

Twisted Brick wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:25 pm Sorry gents, it worked yesterday! I was just finishing a bourbon strip...

The (bad) link is for a 1/2" copper female threaded adapter, the same ones I (and Deplorable) used.

IMG_8997.jpg
Nice machine there ...
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Clicked on the IMG link.

Got a photo of a cute little black haired girl in a fairy dress.

Geoff
The Baker
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

So I been thinking about it a shotgun condenser about 20 inches long would work great on a 15.5 gallon beer keg wouldn't it
Sailman
Swill Maker

Post by Sailman »

What I did for the water inlet and Outlet was to go buy a half inch brass nipple and cut it in half and sanded it to fit the Contour of the condenser.
IMG_20200308_142851.jpg
IMG_20200308_142927.jpg
IMG_20200308_143113.jpg
IMG_20200328_173256.jpg
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

That's how I did the copper as well.
20201028_165521.jpg
20201028_195602.jpg
Bee
Swill Maker

Post by Bee »

Pardon my ignorance, but a garden hose fitting is 3/4" NPT? Right?
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Bee wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:45 pm Pardon my ignorance, but a garden hose fitting is 3/4" NPT? Right?
A garden hose is GHT. You need a NTP to GHT adapter to go from the 1/2 copper to your garden hose.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Durhommer wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:26 am So I been thinking about it a shotgun condenser about 20 inches long would work great on a 15.5 gallon beer keg wouldn't it
Yup.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Deplorable wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:48 pm
A garden hose is GHT. You need a NTP to GHT adapter to go from the 1/2 copper to your garden hose.
Looks like this. Big box store should carry it.
Shotty pressure test
Shotty pressure test

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun