Many Persimmon!!!

Information about fruit/vegetable type washes.

Moderator: Site Moderator

ravi
Novice

Many Persimmon!!!

Post by ravi »

Guys,
Its persimmon season here!! I bought 20 kg persimmon today in cheap. This is my fist time i am going to try persimmon mash. Please give me tips and tricks to deal with persimmon.I want to make persimmon double pot distilled beauty, that is planing so far :D If any other idea please let me know.

Thanks in advance!
In search of Dream whiskey.................
Bushman
Admin

Re: Many Persimmon!!!

Post by Bushman »

I noticed know-one has commented on your post. I had to look up persimmon as I am not familiar with the fruit. Keep us posted on how you distill it and the recipe you used.
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

good luck, that low ph could be a real bitch. interested to learn the outcome!
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

I know the fruit well, they are usually very sweet and soft when ripe. I have not distilled persimmons (except some with apples) but I think they have a good yield in alcohol, but the flavor I think is very light.
Zeotropic
Rumrunner

Post by Zeotropic »

What variety of persimmon? I like fuyu persimmons for eating but the other kind would probably work better for distilling as it is sweeter and soft.
ravi
Novice

Post by ravi »

Bushman wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:56 am I noticed know-one has commented on your post. I had to look up persimmon as I am not familiar with the fruit. Keep us posted on how you distill it and the recipe you used.
I am in S.Korea now a days and this fruit is cheap,sweet also having very unique light and wonderful flavour. I will definitely update pics and recipe for you guys.

LVU
ravi
Novice

Post by ravi »

HDNB wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:26 am good luck, that low ph could be a real bitch. interested to learn the outcome!
perfect, its very less acidic. I think need to balance the PH by adding lemon/citric acid. Thanks for remembering this point!!
ravi
Novice

Post by ravi »

Zeotropic wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:13 pm What variety of persimmon? I like fuyu persimmons for eating but the other kind would probably work better for distilling as it is sweeter and soft.
Its called as sweet persimmon here. I noticed there is two three type is available here. I am not very well aware of verities, just bought from on line and its called as sweet persimmon..
ravi
Novice

Post by ravi »

Demy wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:29 am I know the fruit well, they are usually very sweet and soft when ripe. I have not distilled persimmons (except some with apples) but I think they have a good yield in alcohol, but the flavor I think is very light.
i agree they have very light flavour. So, If some one can tell me which way to distill(pot, reflux etc) to extract this flavour max will be grt help.
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

You should put persimmon in the search bar and see what happens.

Start on page 8 and work your way forward in time. See how many

questions you have remaining after that reading.
be water my friend
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

ravi wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:24 pm
Demy wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:29 am I know the fruit well, they are usually very sweet and soft when ripe. I have not distilled persimmons (except some with apples) but I think they have a good yield in alcohol, but the flavor I think is very light.
i agree they have very light flavour. So, If some one can tell me which way to distill(pot, reflux etc) to extract this flavour max will be grt help.
I would try a pot still, or a short, loosely packed ebb column. It all depends on the alcohol you will get from fermentation, I produce small quantities and if the fermentation is less than 10-12 ABV I must necessarily do a double distillation to obtain clean cuts or use a "modified" reflux as mentioned above.
jog666
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jog666 »

I have made persimmon wine & brandy. Time is its best friend with both drinks. Fermentation was slow and messy (over 100 pounds). Wasnt able to get a SG reading since the fruit is so stringy. Most of the barrel would not clear enough to be wine & had an odd taste to it. That is what I cooked. Ran the dirty-st in my thumper. Strip/spirit style. I took a wide cut & higher than a ujssm for some flavor. I dont have my notes handy nor remember why but I proofed it down to 90 proof. May have been a taste thing. I plan to leave some white but wanted to put some pecan wood in to age for a year or so. As white, time has helped it & each month it is getting better.
ravi
Novice

Post by ravi »

jog666 wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:13 pm I have made persimmon wine & brandy. Time is its best friend with both drinks. Fermentation was slow and messy (over 100 pounds). Wasnt able to get a SG reading since the fruit is so stringy. Most of the barrel would not clear enough to be wine & had an odd taste to it. That is what I cooked. Ran the dirty-st in my thumper. Strip/spirit style. I took a wide cut & higher than a ujssm for some flavor. I dont have my notes handy nor remember why but I proofed it down to 90 proof. May have been a taste thing. I plan to leave some white but wanted to put some pecan wood in to age for a year or so. As white, time has helped it & each month it is getting better.
Much appreciated your reply! this week i will mash it.
SassyFrass
Distiller
Location: Sittin' on the side of the Mountain sippin' and smilin'

Post by SassyFrass »

I used to run persimmon brandy every couple years or so. Those were just wild fruit trees growing in the mountains. Biggest thing I remember about is you dont use them until they hit the ground, then you had to gather them quick. Persimmon in the tree was too sour and would damn near give you lock jaw. Dont expect the must to work fast. But the end product always seemed to be worth the time. Enjoy.
SF
Simple Lil' Pot Still, no temp guage, no carbon, no scrubbers, nuthin' fancy. Sometimes use a thumper, sometimes don't.

Real good info for New Folks:
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Yeah there are two main groups of persimmons.
Can't think of the descriptive word, but one will pucker your mouth up unless very ripe.
The other does not.

Geoff
The Baker
zed255
Distiller

Post by zed255 »

Astringent and non-astringent. Related to the soluble tannins in the fruit before it is ripe.
----------
Zed

When the Student is ready, the Master will appear.
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
ravi
Novice

Post by ravi »

SassyFrass wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:35 pm I used to run persimmon brandy every couple years or so. Those were just wild fruit trees growing in the mountains. Biggest thing I remember about is you dont use them until they hit the ground, then you had to gather them quick. Persimmon in the tree was too sour and would damn near give you lock jaw. Dont expect the must to work fast. But the end product always seemed to be worth the time. Enjoy.
SF
:thumbup: