No Mash No sugar

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

DSmith78
Swill Maker

Re: No Mash No sugar

Post by DSmith78 »

rubberduck71 wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:21 am
DSmith78 wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:04 am IMG_20201115_092317_copy_600x800.jpg

These are the fruits of my labour for my first 'sake' using this yeast and I am VERY impressed!
DSmith, how long did your ferment run? I have 11 kg/25 lbs of rice in a 6 gallon fermenter going now for 2 weeks. Stirred a couple times since the rice bed was so thick at the bottom. Bubbling was very vigorous, but is starting to slow (~every 5-8 seconds).
Just under 3 weeks fermenting, then a week to clear. Still cleared a little in the bottles with a small amount of sediment at the bottom. Really clean tasting drink!
There are three types of people in this world - those who can do maths and those who cannot.
rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rubberduck71 »

DSmith78 wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:49 pm
rubberduck71 wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:21 am
DSmith78 wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:04 am IMG_20201115_092317_copy_600x800.jpg

These are the fruits of my labour for my first 'sake' using this yeast and I am VERY impressed!
DSmith, how long did your ferment run? I have 11 kg/25 lbs of rice in a 6 gallon fermenter going now for 2 weeks. Stirred a couple times since the rice bed was so thick at the bottom. Bubbling was very vigorous, but is starting to slow (~every 5-8 seconds).
Just under 3 weeks fermenting, then a week to clear. Still cleared a little in the bottles with a small amount of sediment at the bottom. Really clean tasting drink!
Yeah, I had to sample some the other night. SWIMBO didn't like it because it was "too strong," but I thought it was very good! Still milky-colored, but I can cold-crash it outside in a week or two when the bubbling completely stops.
There are two times of year: FOOTBALL SEASON and... Waiting For Football Season
Honest_Liberty
Rumrunner

Post by Honest_Liberty »

I just ordered 500g packet of some today from Ebay. Says between December 21 and February 19, so claims I should have it by February 19th. It's kinda fun because I'll definitely forget about the order and then randomly one day receive a package. It is a welcome refresher from my typical impatience if a Prime order is a day late.
Last edited by Honest_Liberty on Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sweetfeed 100 proof for drinking white
All grain bourbon for testing my patience
Whatever else is left goes to the Homefree, because, I hate waste
Honest_Liberty
Rumrunner

Post by Honest_Liberty »

So this smells much sweeter and has a decent potency as it is fermenting. Could it be that it continued to convert over night after I put in the gluco?
Clamsmasha
Novice

Post by Clamsmasha »

Honest_Liberty wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:24 pm So this smells much sweeter and has a decent potency as it is fermenting. Could it be that it continued to convert over night after I put in the gluco?
I use an alpha/gluco combo pruduct. I let it rest at around 70c in an insulated vessel for however long it takes to fall to around 50c. It gets sweeter over the course of quite a few hours.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Clamsmasha wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:35 pm
Honest_Liberty wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:24 pm So this smells much sweeter and has a decent potency as it is fermenting. Could it be that it continued to convert over night after I put in the gluco?
I use an alpha/gluco combo pruduct. I let it rest at around 70c in an insulated vessel for however long it takes to fall to around 50c. It gets sweeter over the course of quite a few hours.
Has this got anything to do with Angel's Starter of Liquor Making? If it has, I'm confused already so please explain why it is. If it isn't, please start another thread about whatever it is you are discussing.
Honest_Liberty
Rumrunner

Post by Honest_Liberty »

sorry, I was getting confused between two threads I was looking at and combined thoughts into that post. I deleted the extraneous stuff.

So my question then would be, if I malt my corn, grind it and toss it in...what should I expect with the angel yeast?
Complete conversion but in much faster time than just cracking the corn and tossing in other grains?
RC Al
Swill Maker

Post by RC Al »

Angel is not fast, it is labour saving and reduces the chance of a poor conversion from malting or enzymes use,

The fermetng times can be considerably longer than what a brewer with their "give a hoot" hat on can achieve.

If you can work out good conversion rates when mashing with malt, using the angel to fermet with would be a waste of time just to grab a percent or two more out of the grains in the mash.

Further reading on Angels site suggests that boiling the hell out of corn in particular is still a good thing to get the angel working properly.

Malting only produces the enzymes, it still needs to be bought up to the right temps to convert the starch to sugars. Using malted grain wil affect flavour, to what degree seems to be still undiscoverd so far with angel, but not increase speed
rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rubberduck71 »

I started up 2x25L batches of oat, barley, & honey with Angel yeast on 11/28. We'll see how they turn out...

Looks like my 25 lb/11 kg batch of rice that I started in mid-Nov is just about done! I'm going to rack off using a fine hop mesh screen tube to minimize any rice particulate carrying over & cold crash it outside (dipping into the 20s F overnight here in PA!) to help it clear. Then I have to decide whether or not to keep it bottled as a rice wine or distill it... It's quite tasty as is.

I have a crapload of rice "trub" left in the fermenter, so I might experiment with adding some water to see if it kicks off again. I imagine with such a high ratio of rice:water, there might be a good chunk of starches left & the ABV got too high for the yeasties & enzymes to continue.
Clamsmasha
Novice

Post by Clamsmasha »

I just landed my first successful all corn mash with angel.

26kg of cracked corn milled fine.

I poured in 90* water and insulated... I let it sit for 3 days. Then I sparked up my boiler and drove steam into it for several hours. It amazes me how much you have to punish this stuff to get anywhere near gelatinisation.

I split it into 3 vessels and added room temp water totalling about 110lts...It was a fairly thick mash. Pitched Angel at 40* directly and hit it with the paint stirrer. It went nuts, I had to knock it down every few hours in the beginning so it didn’t spill over.

Stirred daily for a week, slacked off after that.

2 weeks later it was super sour almost to the point of smelling like vinegar.

Long story short, I wrung about 90lts of juice out and got 2 keg charges. Stripping runs yielded 20lts total of 35% low wines. That’s my best yield of any grain so far and it tasted pretty good.

I’m thinking of making it a straight corn, but I have 10lts of Triticale wines I could blend it with too...
RC Al
Swill Maker

Post by RC Al »

That works out as a 8-9% wash, well done
rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rubberduck71 »

Clamsmasha wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:03 am 26kg of cracked corn milled fine.

I poured in 90* water and insulated... I let it sit for 3 days. Then I sparked up my boiler and drove steam into it for several hours. It amazes me how much you have to punish this stuff to get anywhere near gelatinisation.
Realize it may add significant time to fermentation, but isn't the point of this yeast that you're able to skip the gelatinazation process?
Clamsmasha
Novice

Post by Clamsmasha »

rubberduck71 wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:42 pm

Realize it may add significant time to fermentation, but isn't the point of this yeast that you're able to skip the gelatinazation process?
I haven't found that to be the case with corn. I've failed a couple of times with uncooked corn. I consider Angel an insurance policy now,.....given enough time, the Rhizo cleans up what I couldn't gelatinise.
rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rubberduck71 »

Clamsmasha wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:49 pm
rubberduck71 wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:42 pm

I haven't found that to be the case with corn. I've failed a couple of times with uncooked corn. I consider Angel an insurance policy now,.....given enough time, the Rhizo cleans up what I couldn't gelatinise.
Gotcha. If anything else, you bullet-proofed the overall efficiency.

I have 2x25L/6 gal batches of rolled oats/honey/6 row barley going w/ angel yeast. Likely will be stripping one batch & adding it to the wash of the other & running through my newly arrived digiboil with pot still attachment (after vinegar & sacrificial runs).

Very excited!
JBs
Novice

Post by JBs »

Jesse just posted a video of it on Still It, its worth watching as well.

[utube][/utube]
SassyFrass
Distiller
Location: Sittin' on the side of the Mountain sippin' and smilin'

Post by SassyFrass »

Definitely something I want to try. Subscribed...
Simple Lil' Pot Still, no temp guage, no carbon, no scrubbers, nuthin' fancy. Sometimes use a thumper, sometimes don't.

Real good info for New Folks:
Teddysad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Teddysad »

Great to see all the interest my original posts have created and thanks to Jesse for his work
You can lead a horse to drink, but you cant make it water!
You can lead a horticulture but can you teach a prototype?

Proverbs 31:6-7
MartinCash
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MartinCash »

On, no, I guess we can expect a run on Angel Yeast... :lol:
4'' SS modular CCVM on gas-fired 50L keg.
Clamsmasha
Novice

Post by Clamsmasha »

MartinCash wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:41 pm On, no, I guess we can expect a run on Angel Yeast... :lol:
Haha yep. Hopefully someone will stockpile and sell out of Aus without gouging.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Clamsmasha wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:47 pm
MartinCash wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:41 pm On, no, I guess we can expect a run on Angel Yeast... :lol:
I can buy Angel yeast in several local shops at a keen price if I want to make bread or UJSSM, but I've not found a seller for Angel Starter of Liquor Making in NZ, so I import mine online. Don't confuse them, they are very different.
Clamsmasha
Novice

Post by Clamsmasha »

NZChris wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:24 pm
I can buy Angel yeast in several local shops at a keen price if I want to make bread or UJSSM, but I've not found a seller for Angel Starter of Liquor Making in NZ, so I import mine online. Don't confuse them, they are very different.
The YT comments are filling up with dudes who bought Angel leaven.
Teddysad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Teddysad »

NZChris wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:24 pm
Look at the source in Jesses comments

NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Teddysad wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:56 pm Look at the source in Jesses comments
I was too Youtube illiterate to be able find that :D
Teddysad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Teddysad »

PM sent

NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Thanks, Teddy.

Using Jessie's abv results, I deduce that he got his best conversion rate using 85C water.

My latest had hot UJSSM backset and 85C water dumped onto pre-used UJSSM grains and added rolled barley. I've been away for a few days and it's now day 17 and there is no smell from the can, so I assume it's dead, but I won't investigate until I'm ready to strip.

Reviewing my Jasmine rice run, the equivalent of Jessie's hot water on rice run, and I'm not impressed. I didn't try to cut 'on the fly' as Jessie did, and suspect I probably included more rice flavoured distillate than he did, but it's not that flash. The cut jars that smelled nicely of rice added little when added to the obvious hearts. If anything, they added more tails than rice.
Probus
Novice

Post by Probus »

I am very interested in the results of your spent UJSSM run NZC. Angel Yeast Starter worked well for me on rolled barley (my first AG mash). Will soon have multiple generations of UJSSM corn and Odin's Rye Bread residue to be gainfully employed. Could combine as you did with rolled barley. Looking forward to your results.
Clamsmasha
Novice

Post by Clamsmasha »

Probus wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:44 pm I am very interested in the results of your spent UJSSM run NZC. Angel Yeast Starter worked well for me on rolled barley (my first AG mash). Will soon have multiple generations of UJSSM corn and Odin's Rye Bread residue to be gainfully employed. Could combine as you did with rolled barley. Looking forward to your results.
Of all the things I’ve made with Angel, rolled barley, unmilled was legit amazing. I wish I made 5x the amount. I’ve just emptied out all my fermenters so that’ll be next.
Teddysad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Teddysad »

https://youtube.com/shorts/oodGSqxQUvw.
Cracked corn in hot water for 90 mins, cooled to 35 then Angel Yellow added. 12 hours later:

chickenfeed
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by chickenfeed »

I havesome on the way. I understand that you need the yellow label one. Going to try rice and corn side by side
WithOrWithoutU2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WithOrWithoutU2 »

I've got a bunch of Sweetfeed. The stuff is notorious for not being able to grind due to the molasses. I wonder how it would do if I took boiler water and let it sit for hours in a insulated cooler until it dropped to 90.

Thoughts?