Sourcing Likker Bottles

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

bacstill
Novice

Sourcing Likker Bottles

Post by bacstill »

Hello All
I am wondering where you source your bottles for your finished products. Been looking into some 750ml whiskey and gin bottles, but would prefer to support a small(er) company if possible.

What bottles do you use? What corks and labels? Thanks in advance. :P
bacstill
Novice

Re: Sourcing Likker Bottles

Post by bacstill »

Also apologies if this was in the wrong board -- Couldn't find a better fit.
TXChiliMayo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by TXChiliMayo »

https://www.berlinpackaging.com/

They have some interesting ones and some on clearance now. But I’m having trouble finding the iconic single malt shape ones. Though I have time, I’m also picky with what I want to use.
BigJames
Novice

Post by BigJames »

I’ve had good luck with a company called packaging options direct. They have several nice likker bottles. They even have bottles with finger rings.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I use used whiskey and rum bottles. My fishing partner loves Bushmill and gave me his empties until I had more than I could use. I like the shape of the bottle as the base is square which makes it easy to stack on a shelf.
chickenfeed
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by chickenfeed »

This is where I get mine prices are good and free shipping
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

chickenfeed wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:36 am This is where I get mine prices are good and free shipping
Do you have a link to share?
dieselduo
Rumrunner

Post by dieselduo »

I use clear wine bottles with t corks
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

I make wine so have a bunch of wine bottles and also use either the reusable whiskey corks or a regular wine cork. I've got a handful of decanters too and will keep other cool looking whiskey bottles that I can re-label. If it's etched or I can't remove the branding then it goes in the recycle bin... Just picked up a decanter from amazon with a glass skull on the inside..

Mostly the stuff stays in various aging jugs on oak (assortment of 0.5G and 1G glass) and I fill one bottle at a time.. Right now the barrels are holding wine & port.

Cheers!
jonny
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Post by CoogeeBoy »

My tip, go for 500ml bottles instead of 750ml for gin etc if you are giving them as gifts. They look pretty similar in size and you get more bottles out of each run!
Taking a break while I get a new still completed....
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

I dont believe in the package so much as what's in it....
Whatever empties I can get I use but I'm just as tight as bark on a tree so....
You have two ears and one mouth for a reason....
Grappa-Gringo
Swill Maker

Post by Grappa-Gringo »

I use 375ml bottles... basically dessert wine bottles from the local home wine making shop-- I'll cork them and then dip them in a hot red or black sealing wax and let it drip down...like the Gran Marnier bottle.....OR.... there are some nice small maple syrup bottles that have a hoop handle on them...Either one works for me.
They say, "you are what you eat"... Then I'm fast, easy and cheap!
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

You could do what banknote printers have done in the past; (use empty commercial spirit bottles and) overprint the labels!

Say you are John Smith, and you have some Johnny Walker bottles.
Print up some sticky labels (or use gum); maybe longish and narrowish and a bright colour.

JOHN SMITH'S PRIVATE LABEL

and maybe some other info

Anyway stick the label diagonally across the original label.

Voila; and no need to remove the old labels.

Geoff
The Baker
chickenfeed
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by chickenfeed »

I will buy 2.5 gallon beverage servers at pottery barn or Walmart and replace the plastic spout with a stainless or copper one and then leave it on my bar and pour out of that. You can even use it to oak in.
SassyFrass
Distiller
Location: Sittin' on the side of the Mountain sippin' and smilin'

Post by SassyFrass »

Used to pick up nice once used bottles from some bartenders I know. Even dumpster dived a few times to get usable bottles, also used pickle jars, gallon cider jugs and a few other things. I like the pickle jars for flavoring with wood. But all that stuff I've just acquired over the year from friends and family. We still save all our empties, even though we havent cooked a drop in a few years.
Simple Lil' Pot Still, no temp guage, no carbon, no scrubbers, nuthin' fancy. Sometimes use a thumper, sometimes don't.

Real good info for New Folks:
Yonder
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Yonder »

Made friends with a meadery and a brewery. They aren’t allowed to reuse bottles by law. Convinced ‘em that me recycling em was better’n busting ‘em up. Picked up plenty of wine bottles and over 100, 500ml clear bottles for mead and makings.
Double, Double, toil and trouble. Fire Burn and pot still bubble.
WithOrWithoutU2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WithOrWithoutU2 »

I use mason jars and replace the lids with PTFE discs. Seals very nicely.
SassyFrass
Distiller

Post by SassyFrass »

WithOrWithoutU2 wrote:I use mason jars and replace the lids with PTFE discs. Seals very nicely.
+1
Good thing about this is that Mason jars are stackable, bottles aint. PTFE lids are easy to make too.
Simple Lil' Pot Still, no temp guage, no carbon, no scrubbers, nuthin' fancy. Sometimes use a thumper, sometimes don't.

8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

dieselduo wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:45 am I use clear wine bottles with t corks
+1

And use blue tape with a sharpie to know what is in them.

🎱
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
JesseMarques
Bootlegger

Post by JesseMarques »

Recicling facilities. At least where I live glass bottles can be found in glass recicling plants, I can even have some preference on bottle types because I gift the owner with some likker
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

I'm a stingy bastard, and been saving my empty scotch bottles. Scotch Blue masking tape and a sharpie. Product goes from the aging jar to a recycled bottle as needed. I'll eventually have to buy a case or two of bottles when the barrel needs emptied, or a few more gallon jugs.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

I use what I find for free, sometimes I use a "beautiful" bottle that is filled with a "less beautiful" one. Strictly in glass. My labels? Manuscript paper tape with distillate type, vol. It is given. At the moment I use this method, I'm not against beautiful things on the contrary .., it's just more practical.
WithOrWithoutU2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WithOrWithoutU2 »

SassyFrass wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:20 am
WithOrWithoutU2 wrote:I use mason jars and replace the lids with PTFE discs. Seals very nicely.
+1
Good thing about this is that Mason jars are stackable, bottles aint. PTFE lids are easy to make too.
I don't make mine. I just buy them. Cheap and they have perfect sizes for both wide and regular mouth size for Mason jars. I've been experimenting with aging in large ones too with pin holes in the lids to "breathe" . So far I think the pin holes have been too small and basically reseals.

Here is a link. https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item. ... &catid=720
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

Used to get glass at specialty bottle, local so no expensive shipping charges, now with the covid no local pickup :cry: so been sourcing recycling bins. The neighbors must think that I'm some crazy dude but I have noticed that a lot of them are drinking crap Kentucky whiskey from trader joe's, not sure about the quality in the bottle but I can only guess. But great 750 ML bottles for free. They are the ones on the right side.

Stay safe
OVZ
Attachments
Christmas 2020.JPG
SassyFrass
Distiller

Post by SassyFrass »

Looks very good OVZ.

Windswept
Swill Maker

Post by Windswept »

I keep an ad on the local buy and sell for wine bottles and gallon jugs. Seems like there's always someone who's getting out of wine-making and looking to unload a few cases of wine bottles for cheap
If I didn't learn the hard way, I wouldn't learn at all!
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

Oldvine Zin wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:30 pm Used to get glass at specialty bottle, local so no expensive shipping charges, now with the covid no local pickup :cry: so been sourcing recycling bins. The neighbors must think that I'm some crazy dude but I have noticed that a lot of them are drinking crap Kentucky whiskey from trader joe's, not sure about the quality in the bottle but I can only guess. But great 750 ML bottles for free. They are the ones on the right side.

Stay safe
OVZ
Nice simple label where do you get them
You have two ears and one mouth for a reason....
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

Durhommer wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:25 am
They are just simple Avery round kraft brown labels #228808, and I use their online software to design them and never save a copy on the site

Stay sake
OVZ
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

Oldvine Zin wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:25 am
Durhommer wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:25 am
They are just simple Avery round kraft brown labels #228808, and I use their online software to design them and never save a copy on the site

Stay safe
OVZ
jog666
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jog666 »

Oldvine Zin wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:30 pm Used to get glass at specialty bottle, local so no expensive shipping charges, now with the covid no local pickup :cry: so been sourcing recycling bins. The neighbors must think that I'm some crazy dude but I have noticed that a lot of them are drinking crap Kentucky whiskey from trader joe's, not sure about the quality in the bottle but I can only guess. But great 750 ML bottles for free. They are the ones on the right side.

Stay safe
OVZ

:thumbup: :thumbup: Stupid simple but looks good!

Ive lucked out and cleaned out a cellar a couple years back for most of my glass. I have since got set up with a few folks who either drink ALOT or people just give them bottles and I get the extras.