Balcones Single Malt

What do you drink, and how do you drink it?

Moderator: Site Moderator

Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Balcones Single Malt

Post by Deplorable »

I just got my hands on a bottle of this whiskey, brought back from Texas. What should I expect tonight when I get home and pour a dram?
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
seamusm53
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Balcones Single Malt

Post by seamusm53 »

I'm waiting. Had some of their blue corn spirit this past year. It was okay but didn't knock my socks off.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

seamusm53 wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:04 pm I'm waiting. Had some of their blue corn spirit this past year. It was okay but didn't knock my socks off.
It's good, but not great. Bold toffee, raisins and dried apricot on the nose, roasted apples and pears, wet tobacco, and cinnamon and cloves on the finish. 53% abv from the bottle, a dribble of water opens it up some. Age statement says 2 years, I think it could have used more time. The tounge bite is still that of a young spirit. But the color is a deep, rich, inviting mahogany. I think it could grow on me as I continue to sip it.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

I picked up a bottle of St Georges Lot 19 Single Malt for the cabinet recently and it wasn’t cheap. I was underwhelmed? We’re spoiled!

Happy Holidays,
Cheers,
Jonny
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
dukethebeagle120
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by dukethebeagle120 »

Youtube has a way of "hyping" up thing
It may be good,Or maybe not.
Who knows
But when giving an opinion on your own products
They will surely be possitive
its better to think like a fool but keep your mouth shut,then to open ur mouth and have it confirmed
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

jonnys_spirit wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:18 am I picked up a bottle of St Georges Lot 19 Single Malt for the cabinet recently and it wasn’t cheap. I was underwhelmed? We’re spoiled!

Happy Holidays,
Cheers,
Jonny
Maybe someday I can say that. I haven't been at this long enough for my aging stock to be bragged over. My SF is at the awkward stage in glass where I'm thinking "oh God I screwed this up." And my 5 gallon barrel is only a month old.
In the meantime I'm still exploring different store bought malts and "malternatives".
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

jonnys_spirit wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:18 am I picked up a bottle of St Georges Lot 19 Single Malt for the cabinet recently and it wasn’t cheap. I was underwhelmed? We’re spoiled!

Happy Holidays,
Cheers,
Jonny
Have you tried the Baller yet?

Sort of a thin mouth feel but the complexity is very nice. I like it.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

I haven't yet. The St Georges B&E was my first of theirs and I'm a fan!

http://www.stgeorgespirits.com/spirits/ ... n-Whiskey/

(I just ordered the B&E and their Pear Brandy) - Delivery to the door!
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
TXChiliMayo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by TXChiliMayo »

Deplorable wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:26 am
seamusm53 wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:04 pm I'm waiting. Had some of their blue corn spirit this past year. It was okay but didn't knock my socks off.
It's good, but not great. Bold toffee, raisins and dried apricot on the nose, roasted apples and pears, wet tobacco, and cinnamon and cloves on the finish. 53% abv from the bottle, a dribble of water opens it up some. Age statement says 2 years, I think it could have used more time. The tounge bite is still that of a young spirit. But the color is a deep, rich, inviting mahogany. I think it could grow on me as I continue to sip it.
100% correct. Heavy toffee and raisin dark fruit flavors. Along with dark color and heavy tannin. Burn of a headsy young scotch. Like when someone pulls it for “over-oaked” flavor too soon, not realizing that it’s going to get better with more time.
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

All Balcones tastes like decent but not great moonshine to me. The malt at least shows promise for what they will be able to put out a decade from now. But I think their blue corn is more or less as good as they can make it, and IMHO it's priced at least a shelf higher than it drinks.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Had another pour last night, and took a little more time with it. With an ice ball. I feel like I want to pour it into a jar and add a charred stick of oak to it and finish cleaning it up, but I think I'll just put in in the back of the shelf and leave it to compare to mine when its ready to bottle.