My first.

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

Zeotropic
Rumrunner

My first.

Post by Zeotropic »

My first enzyme all grain.
So i am trying Booners casual all corn. My only problem is that my biggest pot is 5 gallons and I need 15 gallons of mash because my biggest pot is my still boiler.
Well i decided to try an experiment because all it can cost me is some time and corn. So my idea is to make the mash 5 gallons at a time and add it to the previous mash in the fermenter. Last night I made 5 gallons and put it in a brute and it is fizzing away now as i mash a second batch. I don't recall anyone mentioning this method in the past but i figured I would give it a try.
Zeotropic
Rumrunner

Re: My first.

Post by Zeotropic »

I am fermenting on the grain.
Also I don't have any back set or anything else to adjust ph so I am just going with it and I will hope for the best. I know that is not the best idea for getting great results but it will be an interesting experience.
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

It will also be fun times you will remember
You have two ears and one mouth for a reason....
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Zeotropic wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:07 pm My first enzyme all grain.
So i am trying Booners casual all corn. My only problem is that my biggest pot is 5 gallons and I need 15 gallons of mash because my biggest pot is my still boiler.
Well i decided to try an experiment because all it can cost me is some time and corn. So my idea is to make the mash 5 gallons at a time and add it to the previous mash in the fermenter. Last night I made 5 gallons and put it in a brute and it is fizzing away now as i mash a second batch. I don't recall anyone mentioning this method in the past but i figured I would give it a try.
Go read the "easy large batch mashing" thread. I just mashed 35 pounds of corn meal and 2.5 pounds of toasted Oats in 25 gallons of water. Two boiler fills and two dough ins. Added HT enzymes after the 2nd dough in. Easy peasy. Now I just wait for the temp to drop to 150°F and add my malted grains.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Zeotropic
Rumrunner

Post by Zeotropic »

Deplorable wrote:
Zeotropic wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:07 pm My first enzyme all grain.
Go read the "easy large batch mashing" thread. I just mashed 35 pounds of corn meal and 2.5 pounds of toasted Oats in 25 gallons of water. Two boiler fills and two dough ins. Added HT enzymes after the 2nd dough in. Easy peasy. Now I just wait for the temp to drop to 150°F and add my malted grains.
I read that thread but the difference is that my first batch has already been fermenting for a day so i am making successive batches and adding them to an active ferment.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Seems like a lot of extra work that way.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Zeotropic
Rumrunner

Post by Zeotropic »

Durhommer wrote:It will also be fun times you will remember
That's what I figured. :D

I think I didn't hold the first batch at high temp long enough so the second one I kept above 148° for two hours before adding the second enzyme. I am just now cooling it down to fermentation temperature.
Zeotropic
Rumrunner

Post by Zeotropic »

Deplorable wrote:Seems like a lot of extra work that way.
Yeah it was a spur of the moment idea because I read that thread after starting the first batch and i thought hey I can do that and get enough mash for 3 stripping runs. If it doesn't work I only have $10 in it.
Zeotropic
Rumrunner

Post by Zeotropic »

IMG_20201226_184843103.jpg
This was after the second addition of mash.
Zeotropic
Rumrunner

Post by Zeotropic »

IMG_20201226_201705828.jpg
Mashing the last 9 lb of corn.
Zeotropic
Rumrunner

Post by Zeotropic »

IMG_20201226_203130197.jpg
That SEBstar HTL is amazing.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Yes it is. Did you adjust pH prior to using it?
Zeotropic
Rumrunner

Post by Zeotropic »

Deplorable wrote:Yes it is. Did you adjust pH prior to using it?
No because I don't have anything to use for adjustment. Next batch I will be more prepared.
Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Tummydoc »

You should be fine. Glucoamylase prefers a lower pH if you add that later, but high temp youll get a good conversion without messing with pH.
v-child
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by v-child »

I do three separate mashes to fill a fifteen gallon fermenter in a single day. As one cools down slowly, I start another pot. The first pot cools down (slowly) I'll start filtering the grains out and by the time I am done filtering, it's cool enough to put in the fermenter. Meanwhile the second batch is done cooking/converting and the process repeats itself. I can do all fifteen gallons of mash in about six hours. Only after all three batches are mashed, filtered and cooled do I add any nutrients, gluco, ph adjustments and finally the yeast (usually the next morning). It's a juggling act but I have never had a failed mash. The HTL saves me a lot of work and allows me to keep the mash at 190 F much longer.
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

I thought I was the only one mashing in small batches
Zeotropic
Rumrunner

Post by Zeotropic »

It was bubbling like crazy with a big head of foam this morning when I added the last mash.
Zeotropic
Rumrunner

Post by Zeotropic »

v-child wrote:I do three separate mashes to fill a fifteen gallon fermenter in a single day. As one cools down slowly, I start another pot. The first pot cools down (slowly) I'll start filtering the grains out and by the time I am done filtering, it's cool enough to put in the fermenter. Meanwhile the second batch is done cooking/converting and the process repeats itself. I can do all fifteen gallons of mash in about six hours. Only after all three batches are mashed, filtered and cooled do I add any nutrients, gluco, ph adjustments and finally the yeast (usually the next morning). It's a juggling act but I have never had a failed mash. The HTL saves me a lot of work and allows me to keep the mash at 190 F much longer.
That sounds like a much better idea for next time.
Zeotropic
Rumrunner

Post by Zeotropic »

Durhommer wrote:I thought I was the only one mashing in small batches
Nope but i sure want to upgrade soon. I picked out the parts for a modular keg still and then i would definitely want a keg pot.
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

My hb shop has a 16 gallon pot but it's cheap I too have modular parts picked up for my milkcan and keg I have I'd love to heat 15 gallon water at once itd make especially corn easier for me
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Durhommer wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:49 am My hb shop has a 16 gallon pot but it's cheap I too have modular parts picked up for my milkcan and keg I have I'd love to heat 15 gallon water at once itd make especially corn easier for me
Does your can have a TC for a drain at the bottom?
Large batch mashing the SCD way works so well just opening the valve into the fermenter while pouring in grains and stirring.
20201226_105449.jpg
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

I dont have a drain I plan on using the sankey port as a drain on my keg build tho
Zeotropic
Rumrunner

Post by Zeotropic »

Deplorable wrote:
Durhommer wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:49 am My hb shop has a 16 gallon pot but it's cheap I too have modular parts picked up for my milkcan and keg I have I'd love to heat 15 gallon water at once itd make especially corn easier for me
Does your can have a TC for a drain at the bottom?
Large batch mashing the SCD way works so well just opening the valve into the fermenter while pouring in grains and stirring.
20201226_105449.jpg
I used a stamped stainless steel spoon to stir and I have blisters from it so i really need to make a nice wood paddle like you have there.

This is a couple of hours after the last mash addition. It is smelling wonderful.[IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202012 ... d608e4.jpg[/IMG]
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

24 hours after doughing in the first half of my corn, my 26 gallon mash is 133°F. I pulled a 300ml sample and cooled it to 68F to check SG. It's 1.072 from 52.5 pounds of grain in 26 gallons. 35# corn meal, 10# wheat malt, 5# rye malt, and 2.5# toasted oats. Gonna make a fine bourbon come summer time.
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

Nice work deplorable
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

16090988204197339321776835530400.jpg
Smells devine
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

Gonna be fun squeezing it tho
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Durhommer wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:21 pm Gonna be fun squeezing it tho
Mop wringer will make quick work of it. 30 minutes tops.

"No lazy man ever made good likker."
So I'm tole...
Zeotropic
Rumrunner

Post by Zeotropic »

Durhommer wrote:Gonna be fun squeezing it tho
Yep. I am planning on using a paint strainer and just letting gravity do the job. It won't be perfect but that's okay with me.
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

I'm gonna play again now that Christmas is over I dont have liquid enzymes tho so I'll be using malt with my corn