my first whisky - odin's cornflakes

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

maltyguy
Novice

my first whisky - odin's cornflakes

Post by maltyguy »

hello. this is my first whisky that i made using odin's cornflakes whisky.
i'm still relatively new to distilling but i did practice with sugar shines and so far im in love with this hobby.

i followed the exact same recipe but i only add 250 grams of cornflakes
1 pound of malted barley
200 grams of chocolate unmalted barley for peatness

one of the jars

and the final product

aged in Ukrainian oak for about 2 weeks.
it aint Glenlivet 18 but its good. strong leather flavor mixed with dried fruits and a hint of tobacco.
i can't vouch for ukrainian oak, it was too peppery but its mellowing out i think.
im planning to do a bigger batch soon i will definitely use american white oak.
SassyFrass
Distiller
Location: Sittin' on the side of the Mountain sippin' and smilin'

Re: my first whisky - odin's cornflakes

Post by SassyFrass »

More time on the Ukrainian oak may give it it's own wonderful unique flavor profile. I use a lot of charred apple, pear, and crab apple wood, either mixed with oak or instead of oak. And I'm surrounded by white and red oaks.[emoji3]
I'm a firm believer in local flavors taking precedence over the commercial generic flavors. But the only one you have to please is yourself. [emoji16]
Have fun.
SF
Simple Lil' Pot Still, no temp guage, no carbon, no scrubbers, nuthin' fancy. Sometimes use a thumper, sometimes don't.

Real good info for New Folks:
maltyguy
Novice

Post by maltyguy »

SassyFrass wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:48 am More time on the Ukrainian oak may give it it's own wonderful unique flavor profile. I use a lot of charred apple, pear, and crab apple wood, either mixed with oak or instead of oak. And I'm surrounded by white and red oaks.[emoji3]
I'm a firm believer in local flavors taking precedence over the commercial generic flavors. But the only one you have to please is yourself. [emoji16]
Have fun.
SF
i always wanted to try pear wood. i have some apple brandy waiting to be oaked.
can u tell me more about the flavors in pear wood? thanks :thumbup:
SassyFrass
Distiller
Location: Sittin' on the side of the Mountain sippin' and smilin'

Post by SassyFrass »

I dont have the palette or command of the language to be able to explain how something tastes, other than good or damn, that's nasty.[emoji16]
I'm probably too simple of a guy for that.
All the fruit woods I've used just seem to be a little smoother than just oak on finished product. If I did add a little too much heads then it seems to help mellow them out, especially for brandies.
But i cant do that tobacco, licorice, blah, blah blah note stuff.
I got a buddy that's a whiskey connoisseur and I'll take him a little taste sometime and he'll sit there and give me a 20 minute dissertation on each sip, when all I really want to know is if he enjoyed the drop. But he likes using big words and I like sipping with him.
PS...I probably should add that crab apple is my favorite with apple and pear coming a close second. And that's mixed with white oak, not by itself. And aged about 5+ years.
SF
Simple Lil' Pot Still, no temp guage, no carbon, no scrubbers, nuthin' fancy. Sometimes use a thumper, sometimes don't.

Real good info for New Folks:
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

Nice bottle man
You have two ears and one mouth for a reason....
maltyguy
Novice

Post by maltyguy »

SassyFrass wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:19 am
All the fruit woods I've used just seem to be a little smoother than just oak on finished product. If I did add a little too much heads then it seems to help mellow them out, especially for brandies.
im a fan of keep the heads they have so much flavors. i'll give fruit woods a shot. thanks

Durhommer wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:28 am Nice bottle man
glad u like it.