My first.

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

Zeotropic
Rumrunner

Re: My first.

Post by Zeotropic »

I did a bit of searching but haven't found anything yet.
Has anyone made sour mash using enzyme all grain corn?
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

You'll actually get a little better results. Use backset to lower your pH and it'll sour right up, so save a gallon or so of your backset from the stripping run of what you're fermenting now.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Zeotropic
Rumrunner

Post by Zeotropic »

Deplorable wrote:You'll actually get a little better results. Use backset to lower your pH and it'll sour right up, so save a gallon or so of your backset from the stripping run of what you're fermenting now.
I will do that.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Zeotropic wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:48 pm
Deplorable wrote:You'll actually get a little better results. Use backset to lower your pH and it'll sour right up, so save a gallon or so of your backset from the stripping run of what you're fermenting now.
I will do that.
Read up on the optimum pH level for your enzymes to work, and lower your waters ph to that before you boil it and add it to the corn.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Zeotropic
Rumrunner

Post by Zeotropic »

That mash has been bubbling like it is at a rolling boil. It is amazing.
Zeotropic
Rumrunner

Post by Zeotropic »

I just checked the SG and it was 0.98 @ 70°f so I think the continued bubbling is just off-gassing. I think I'm going to throw it out on the back porch to let it settle everything out so I can run it.
I didn't check the starting SG so I don't know how well I did I also didn't do a starch test because I didn't have iodine or a hydrometer.
That recipe seems to be phenomenal for fermentation it'll be interesting to see if I like the flavor.
Zeotropic
Rumrunner

Post by Zeotropic »

I got this bourbon on the recommendation of the guy at the liquor store and I'm not really a big fan. I drink bushmills red label straight at room temperature no ice but this one so far the way I like it best is in hot chocolate. It is really oakey and sorta sour.

IMG_20210101_202325984.jpg
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Zeotropic wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:28 pm I got this bourbon on the recommendation of the guy at the liquor store and I'm not really a big fan. I drink bushmills red label straight at room temperature no ice but this one so far the way I like it best is in hot chocolate. It is really oakey and sorta sour.

Ive not had that one yet, but the Weller's I have had were just okay, not great, or anything I'd buy if I could find them.
Justinthunder
Swill Maker

Post by Justinthunder »

Zeotropic wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:28 pm I got this bourbon on the recommendation of the guy at the liquor store and I'm not really a big fan. I drink bushmills red label straight at room temperature no ice but this one so far the way I like it best is in hot chocolate. It is really oakey and sorta sour.

I’m sure there are waaaaay better bourbons but my go to is always my friend Jim Beam
Zeotropic
Rumrunner

Post by Zeotropic »

Deplorable wrote:

Ive not had that one yet, but the Weller's I have had were just okay, not great, or anything I'd buy if I could find them.
What is a good bourbon to try?
Zeotropic
Rumrunner

Post by Zeotropic »

Justinthunder wrote:

I’m sure there are waaaaay better bourbons but my go to is always my friend Jim Beam
I will try that at some point.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Zeotropic wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:56 pm
Deplorable wrote:

Buffalo Trace is a good middle shelf bourbon, as is Knob Creek. At least to me and until I have some home brew of my own to sip on.
Zeotropic
Rumrunner

Post by Zeotropic »

Deplorable wrote:
Zeotropic wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:56 pm
Deplorable wrote:

Buffalo Trace is a good middle shelf bourbon, as is Knob Creek. At least to me and until I have some home brew of my own to sip on.
Thanks.
SassyFrass
Distiller
Location: Sittin' on the side of the Mountain sippin' and smilin'

Post by SassyFrass »

I have a friend who swears by Ballentine's, and another that drinks Benchmark but I thought both were a little headsy. I wasnt impressed by either.
With good cuts you'll make much better than you can buy. Just my $.02
SF
Simple Lil' Pot Still, no temp guage, no carbon, no scrubbers, nuthin' fancy. Sometimes use a thumper, sometimes don't.

Real good info for New Folks:
Zeotropic
Rumrunner

Post by Zeotropic »

SassyFrass wrote:I have a friend who swears by Ballentine's, and another that drinks Benchmark but I thought both were a little headsy. I wasnt impressed by either.
With good cuts you'll make much better than you can buy. Just my $.02
SF
True. It is just nice to know what flavors the commercial ones have so i can start to get an idea of what i might make. I haven't tried much commercial liquor.
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

My first wash of the year is the all bran gonna ferment with bakers yeast and keep doin them till I have a couple more gallon and switch to grain just like this time last year as I just found a Gallon of all bran from llast january
You have two ears and one mouth for a reason....
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

20210102_105328.jpg
20210102_103338.jpg
My first yeast started and first wash put up
SassyFrass
Distiller
Location: Sittin' on the side of the Mountain sippin' and smilin'

Post by SassyFrass »

Z, believe it or not, I do understand. Try the bourbon, whiskey, irish, and scotch and others. Savor and remember those tastes and the feeling you get from them. Then compare it to what you make, and how yours tastes after making good cuts and oaking for a couple years.i think you'll be pleasantly suprised.
D, looks like you got a good start on the year and a very workable plan for 2021.
Simple Lil' Pot Still, no temp guage, no carbon, no scrubbers, nuthin' fancy. Sometimes use a thumper, sometimes don't.

Real good info for New Folks:
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

20210102_125755.jpg
Second yeast start of the year
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

20210102_131532.jpg
Cleaning strip glassware to use for this year's spirits I've got five gallon worth of old store bought bottles to use for strips
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

20210102_140148.jpg
Char oaked some heavy peat malt hearts from last week will age for 12 years so hope this is around in 2033
Zeotropic
Rumrunner

Post by Zeotropic »

@Durhommer you sure have a head start on me.
I am not very fast at this.
I am hoping to figure out how to make something I like soon because $35 a bottle gets expensive when I have a still at home.
This is my third ferment.
I am going to rack it of onto some five gallon buckets in the next few days and hopefully i will get some time to strip it soon.[IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202101 ... 460381.jpg[/IMG]
Zeotropic
Rumrunner

Post by Zeotropic »

SassyFrass wrote:Z, believe it or not, I do understand. Try the bourbon, whiskey, irish, and scotch and others. Savor and remember those tastes and the feeling you get from them. Then compare it to what you make, and how yours tastes after making good cuts and oaking for a couple years.i think you'll be pleasantly suprised.
D, looks like you got a good start on the year and a very workable plan for 2021.
That is the plan. I am going to order some oak soon and in a year or so I will put together my first badmo barrel and start long term aging.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

If You're already getting comfortable with corn, don't wait to get going on making a bourbon. Jump in! I started working on a barrel of malt whiskey within 2 months of getting my still. The more you make now, the more you have later. In 6 months I put up over 7.5 gallons at 62-64% and only drank about 3 quarts at 45%. Even if you dont have oak now, just leave it white in a jug until you do.
Zeotropic
Rumrunner

Post by Zeotropic »

Deplorable wrote:If You're already getting comfortable with corn, don't wait to get going on making a bourbon. Jump in! I started working on a barrel of malt whiskey within 2 months of getting my still. The more you make now, the more you have later. In 6 months I put up over 7.5 gallons at 62-64% and only drank about 3 quarts at 45%. Even if you dont have oak now, just leave it white in a jug until you do.
Its the money thing for me. :-(
Justinthunder
Swill Maker

Post by Justinthunder »

Durhommer wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:04 pm 20210102_140148.jpgChar oaked some heavy peat malt hearts from last week will age for 12 years so hope this is around in 2033
Bro you have the patience of a saint to leave it for 12 years, I can’t wait to drink mine lol
Zeotropic
Rumrunner

Post by Zeotropic »

Justinthunder wrote:
Durhommer wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:04 pm 20210102_140148.jpgChar oaked some heavy peat malt hearts from last week will age for 12 years so hope this is around in 2033
Bro you have the patience of a saint to leave it for 12 years, I can’t wait to drink mine lol
I was thinking the same thing. [emoji2962]
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

Justinthunder wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:30 pm
I have more likker to drink than I know what to do with
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

My fermenting vessels are bubbling away and one smells very fruity out the airlock.no I dont open mine for a week to check fg. I was tole keep yer damn hands out of it it will do better on its own
v-child
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by v-child »

Durhommer wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:56 am My fermenting vessels are bubbling away and one smells very fruity out the airlock.no I dont open mine for a week to check fg. I was tole keep yer damn hands out of it it will do better on its own
I'll check my ph after a week or if it slows down. Adjustment will usually get it rolling hard again. Tinkering with it constantly will give you an infection.