North Georgia still company

Moderator: Site Moderator

Wschock
Novice

North Georgia still company

Post by Wschock »

Anyone have any experience with north Georgia still company products? Looking at their 5 gallon distillers kit.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: North Georgia still company

Post by still_stirrin »

Ill advised. Proceed with extreme caution.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=69263
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=69446

ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

The flake stand looks undersized from the photo. The worm is very traditional but I think we have improved on our PC’s in the last 15 years. I am not saying a worm and flake stand is not efficient but it might be easy to kink the worm if miss handled.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Thats a lot of pretty copper, but Im guessing if you stick with this hobby for any length of time you'll outgrow it and be building, or buying something with more capacity.
Just my opinion, but, for that kind of money, you can get a pretty nice SS setup off the shelf, or build a really kick ass modular keg still. "Buy once, cry once." applies to this hobby.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

5 pages of reading for you search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&keyw ... th+georgia

new distillers reading lounge has instructions on how to do a search.

if you already have a 5 gallon pot why buy another?
be water my friend
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

cob wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:32 pm if you already have a 5 gallon pot why buy another?
Thanks Cob on the doing the research and posting before me..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
Wschock
Novice

Post by Wschock »

Thanks for the replies. I am looking for something with tri clamps that is a little easier to get sealed up. I do like the SS stills from brewhaus, I can get more still for less money. Gonna do a lot more reading before I buy or build another though. Thanks again guys.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

You can do an SS keg and get someone to weld your fittings or DIY it. I went ahead and spent a little more on a MileHi all-copper milk-can boiler (scratch and dent so it was a little le$$) about the same size as a keg with adequate ports for 2x heaters and everything with the thought that i'd have this still for quite a few years and am happy with that approach. It's got a 3" TC milk can lid and opens up to 8" for any cleaning / etc and I can get a new 4" lid pretty easily if I ever move into a plated column - which I may some day... Once you've got TC capability you have lots of options for CCVM, plates, thumpers, pot-still, etc..

Cheers!
-jonny
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Twoeyedfish
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Twoeyedfish »

My kids got me a 10 gal North Georgia Still Co set up with a thumper. I've been using a 5 gallon alembic (?) type for a few years and always complained about the small size. The kids said they ordered it for my birthday in the summer, but were advised by the company that they were so far behind that it couldn't be shipped till fall, so I got it for Christmas. I am no expert, but I am pretty impressed with the build quality. It's got thermometers in places that I don't understand and drainage valves in the boiler and thumper. I've run vinegar once and water x 2 to clean it and am now doing a Wineo's Sugar Wash. It probaby is overpriced, but don't look a gift still in the mouth. I did contact NGStills by email with questions a couple of times and they responded by email within a day. I find that this group gives some bad reviews to this company, but to a neophyte like me it seems pretty good. If I can figure out how to do it, I will post a pic of the still and y'all can tell me what you think.

Regards,

Fish
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

I see them advertising on Craigslist here in Missouri.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.