Tennessee Thumper Stills

Post here whats not safe to do or use.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Irishgnome
Swill Maker

Re: Tennessee Thumper Stills

Post by Irishgnome »

Sunshinner,

22 oz? That is the smallest thumper I've ever heard of.

More research grasshopper.

Cheers
Irish
"There is something about yourself that you don't know. Something that you will deny even exists until it's too late to do anything about it."
Sunshineer
Swill Maker

Post by Sunshineer »

Making a thumper out of stainless steel instead of glass was my point it is the action of the thumper itself that improves your product not what the thumper is made of that makes the difference and I am in no way saying that you need more than one. What I am saying is that if you have a mason jar thumper change the glass to stainless steel is way safer for you. One may be two after that it's a waste.
Sunshineer
Swill Maker

Post by Sunshineer »

I posted the link as a starting point they advertise larger they start at 22 oz.
Irishgnome
Swill Maker

Post by Irishgnome »

Sunshineer wrote:I posted the link as a starting point they advertise larger they start at 22 oz.
I wouldn’t have commented on the post if they had larger options.

Did I miss something?

Please share.

Based on price to size, I would go with the crazy idea of purchasing this:
https://north-georgia-still-company.mys ... on-thumper" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

$40, 1 gallon, all copper

Or, make your own out of copper.
"There is something about yourself that you don't know. Something that you will deny even exists until it's too late to do anything about it."
Dozingdruid
Novice

Post by Dozingdruid »

Wonder if there's Someone with the resources that can make a video of these things exploding. Do some actual tests maybe a cage around the Mason jar with a strong mesh and a finer mesh on the outside. Really push the jars to their limit, simulate a bursting coolant line or a cold breeze blowing in. Of course just do it with water first maybe. Show these newbies the true dangers of these jar setups.
Distilling, gaming, woodworking, welding, electronics... I swear if I get one more hobby I'm going to have to quit my job.
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

Dozingdruid wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:51 am Wonder if there's Someone with the resources that can make a video of these things exploding. Do some actual tests maybe a cage around the Mason jar with a strong mesh and a finer mesh on the outside. Really push the jars to their limit, simulate a bursting coolant line or a cold breeze blowing in. Of course just do it with water first maybe. Show these newbies the true dangers of these jar setups.
I don't know about glass thumpers, but I know there is a mythbusters episode with a blowing boiler.
But they cheated: closed the outlet and put an ignition spark in it. Those things no one of us would do, so to me it proved nothing.
Dozingdruid
Novice

Post by Dozingdruid »

Yup. It's like saying "your car could explode at any minute and its extremely dangerous" if you have c4 strapped to the bottom and punch a hole in your petrol cable right here and light a small fire right here and reverse the polarity and attach a spark plug to the radio.
Yup cars are definitely an explosion waiting to happen.

I'm thinking more along the lines of a realistic glass thumper situation. A lot of us distil outside or in a draught garage. Coolant leaks are common enough. I don't know anything about blocked lines on thumpers with large chunks of fruit :think: but I doubt that could happen too easily, unless you really over-fill your thumpers.

Shouldn't thumpers be insulated anyway for better performance?
Distilling, gaming, woodworking, welding, electronics... I swear if I get one more hobby I'm going to have to quit my job.
v-child
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by v-child »

I would never use a glass thumper but I'll continue using my cheap mason jars on a rickety stool next to the propane burner to collect my hi-proof refluxed ethanol.
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

v-child wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:38 am I would never use a glass thumper but I'll continue using my cheap mason jars on a rickety stool next to the propane burner to collect my hi-proof refluxed ethanol.
Yeah, that is wise! :twisted:

But instead of testing these thumpers until one breaks, you can also find proof in the news, I think. If and when there is an accident with these thumpers in actual use, the authorities and media would undoubtedly jump on it to stress the dangers and oppose moonshining.
Has there ever been a report of such a disaster??
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

I feel dumber now just by clicking on this thread. And the fact that someone is defending that craptastic design Takes the cake. :crazy:
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
Dozingdruid
Novice

Post by Dozingdruid »

Prairiepiss wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:57 am I feel dumber now just by clicking on this thread. And the fact that someone is defending that craptastic design Takes the cake. :crazy:
I hope you're not refer to me prairie?
Sorry if I misled anyone. What I was actually getting at is to put up some solid arguement and evidence to enlighten newbies and the ignorant against the use of glass Mason jars...
SassyFrass
Distiller
Location: Sittin' on the side of the Mountain sippin' and smilin'

Post by SassyFrass »

Prairiepiss wrote:I feel dumber now just by clicking on this thread. And the fact that someone is defending that craptastic design Takes the cake. :crazy:
+1 PP.
Amen.

Unscrupulous design made to separate folks that dont know better from their money. Buyer beware.
Simple Lil' Pot Still, no temp guage, no carbon, no scrubbers, nuthin' fancy. Sometimes use a thumper, sometimes don't.

Real good info for New Folks:
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

Dozingdruid wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:59 pm
Prairiepiss wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:57 am I feel dumber now just by clicking on this thread. And the fact that someone is defending that craptastic design Takes the cake. :crazy:
Sorry if I misled anyone. What I was actually getting at is to put up some solid arguement and evidence to enlighten newbies and the ignorant against the use of glass Mason jars...
Neither refer to me, please.
Instead of doing such a dangerous experiment it would be nice if by mere literature search arguments and evidence could be found.
Here we have hardly any thumpers in use, let alone Tennessee thumpers.
But I know someone who makes them. And on Moonshiners that is nowadays broadcasted here they show a Tennesse still with two parallel lines of each 4 jars and one great jar before them. Or so it seems.
It would be nice if someone could prove this is dangerous. The easy way or the hard way.
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

Kareltje wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:41 pm
Instead of doing such a dangerous experiment it would be nice if by mere literature search arguments and evidence could be found.
But I know someone who makes them. And on Moonshiners that is nowadays broadcasted here they show a Tennesse still with two parallel lines of each 4 jars and one great jar before them. Or so it seems.
It would be nice if someone could prove this is dangerous. The easy way or the hard way.
How much canning have you actually done? I don’t know how many jars have broken on me while canning food. Perfectly good jars that I had used before. Or even brand new ones. Truthfully brand new mason jars are more scary to me then ones I’ve had and used before.
I have had them blow up on me as I was pulling them from the pot. I have even had a glass coke bottle blow up in my hand as I placed it in a cooler.

Heat up a mason jar to still operating temps with some water in it. Then drip some cold water on the outside of it. And let me know what happens. Better yet video it so we can all see.

I’m sure you will come back and say. Cold water will never be splashed on the jars. Anything can happen. Hose for the condenser springs a leak. A drop of sweat off your forehead drips on it as you are looking at it. A cold breeze.

Now what is in that jar as it’s running? High test alcohol. Flammable liquids. That is sitting over a boiler that is fired with some heat source. Flammable liquid and heat sources don’t usually mix well.

If you had a good grasp of good still designs. You would understand why this is not even close to a good design.

Its a waste of a bunch of good copper that could have been used to build a much better design. And some good jars that could hold the final product from that better still.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
jog666
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jog666 »

Dozingdruid wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:51 am Wonder if there's Someone with the resources that can make a video of these things exploding. Do some actual tests maybe a cage around the Mason jar with a strong mesh and a finer mesh on the outside. Really push the jars to their limit, simulate a bursting coolant line or a cold breeze blowing in. Of course just do it with water first maybe. Show these newbies the true dangers of these jar setups.
Im sure there are several of us with the resources to get one setup only to break it for a test and film it. Why? So an experienced hand can get hurt or waste his time and materials? Just to show that its bad on film? So a rabbit cage wrapped with window screen would contain all of the glass? If you want to test how a mason jar acts to cool/cold water on it while its warm, get a jar with hot grease in it & get it wet. See what happens and let us know.

Kareltje wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:20 am
v-child wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:38 am I would never use a glass thumper but I'll continue using my cheap mason jars on a rickety stool next to the propane burner to collect my hi-proof refluxed ethanol.
Yeah, that is wise! :twisted:

But instead of testing these thumpers until one breaks, you can also find proof in the news, I think. If and when there is an accident with these thumpers in actual use, the authorities and media would undoubtedly jump on it to stress the dangers and oppose moonshining.
Has there ever been a report of such a disaster??
I dont recall any story going into details of a mason jar thumper accident. No doubt they would jump all over something illegal that blew up besides a meth lab.

:lolno:
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

Prairiepiss wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:20 pm
Kareltje wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:41 pm
How much canning have you actually done?
Oh, I have done some canning. Heated up the mash in one pan and cooked the jars and lids in another adjacent.
Then burned my hands in getting out the jars, filling them up and closing them with the boiling lids.

And when I made wine in large glass vessicles about 10, 15 or 20 litres, I used to heat these bottles by putting some cold water in them and than adding some boiling water. Ensuring a good mix by juggling the vessels around and gradually adding the boiling water. Taking care to evenly heat up the whole vessel. Until the whole vessels were too hot to handle.
Never lost one vessel.

So yes: I know what I am talking about!

Oh, and I never lost one canning flask in this way either.
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

Prairiepiss wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:20 pm
I don’t know how many jars have broken on me while canning food. Perfectly good jars that I had used before. Or even brand new ones. Truthfully brand new mason jars are more scary to me then ones I’ve had and used before.
I have had them blow up on me as I was pulling them from the pot. I have even had a glass coke bottle blow up in my hand as I placed it in a cooler.

Heat up a mason jar to still operating temps with some water in it. Then drip some cold water on the outside of it. And let me know what happens. Better yet video it so we can all see.

I’m sure you will come back and say. Cold water will never be splashed on the jars. Anything can happen. Hose for the condenser springs a leak. A drop of sweat off your forehead drips on it as you are looking at it. A cold breeze.

Now what is in that jar as it’s running? High test alcohol. Flammable liquids. That is sitting over a boiler that is fired with some heat source. Flammable liquid and heat sources don’t usually mix well.

If you had a good grasp of good still designs. You would understand why this is not even close to a good design.

Its a waste of a bunch of good copper that could have been used to build a much better design. And some good jars that could hold the final product from that better still.
Ah, now I understand your anger. You got a hot jar broken when you put it on a cold surface. And one hot mason jar when a cold drip splashed on it.
Yeah well: they are not made of borosilicate glass so they must be treated with caution, not with negligence.
chickenfeed
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by chickenfeed »

I made on of these. Pretty to watch but not practical. Glass issues aside they are way too small. I also worry about the lid coming off
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

chickenfeed wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:16 pm I made on of these. Pretty to watch but not practical. Glass issues aside they are way too small. I also worry about the lid coming off
I saw a picture of a Dutch still with one glass thumper. This had three copper bands from top to bottom and was positioned on a wooden stand. So even when the glass bursts, it will stay together, at least for some time.
Just enough to stop the fire, if need be.
chickenfeed
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by chickenfeed »

I needed a 15gallon thumper so glass was not going to work
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

chickenfeed wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:22 pm I needed a 15gallon thumper so glass was not going to work
Just curious what would be the Tennessee Translation of a 15 gal thumper.
mercmar
Novice

Post by mercmar »

aside from glass worries. how long would it take to run this thing and how do you transfer all that heat from the still to each extra thumper. if my one thumper is any guide we are talking about adding at least a few hours to an already long spirit run. Cool to look at but this thing should be behind the bar at a whiskey cake, in sight but out of use.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

mercmar wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:19 am aside from glass worries. how long would it take to run this thing and how do you transfer all that heat from the still to each extra thumper. if my one thumper is any guide we are talking about adding at least a few hours to an already long spirit run. Cool to look at but this thing should be behind the bar at a whiskey cake, in sight but out of use.
I like that :thumbup: