Running an 18 month old heavy rum ferment

Anything to do with rum

Moderator: Site Moderator

distiller_dresden
Trainee

Running an 18 month old heavy rum ferment

Post by distiller_dresden »

Okay, so first, if you're curious, this was is based on my heavy rum method, it's posted. Second, this was wash 2 with a different yeast from the granddaddy rum one, this was using a cachaca yeast, which preiously gavce me juicy fruit flavor and aromas, strongly, off half raw sugar, half panela, and a gallon of coconut sugar wash backset. Seriously, that is a recipe I keep close (simple) because I swear to all, it was juicyfruit white dog. It didn't make it to a barrel or on wood, because I sampled, showed it off, and we (collective we, all my friends) drank it dry.

Ok, so this wash was all molassses, that cachaca yeast, my heavy process otherwise. Was supposed to be run Dec 2019, but my dad got ill, actually spine stuff, couldn't walk, rolled issue into January/Feb, and he needed surgery on his spine. Then it got infected... Long story, he was in hospital 3.5 months, then recovery in the hospital's retirement community so he did his phys therapy 3x a day (spinal surgery, all kinds of implanted hardware). Anyway then covid, which also took my mom last year, about the time he got out of the rehab. He almost didn't get out, because Covid, they wanted to lock down the home, no in or out for anyone.

So, lot of bullshit to deal with last year... Just haven't run anything since Nov 2019. Glad I had 7gal my rum in a barrel since May 2019 though! It's close to Flor De Cana 18, but with a sweet ester, and cherry flavors. Anyhow-

This wash was infected with stuff, and dundered, as described in my method. It has been covered, and kept at 88F, for 16 mos now, no evaporation, only 'space' or outlet is around the stainless temp minder rod inserted the middle top of my ferment vessel. No bugs have got out of control, and actually it smells a bit like a rum wash that is ready, but also like my barrreled rum, curiously.

Anyone have experience with really old/aged/forgotten washes, anything i need to 'watch' for? I got a new 40L alembic from Portugal last week it arrived, and after my cleaning runs, am gonna run this through it. Just don't know if I need to 'watch' for anything that is insidiously 'unseen' or present without indicators, that could make the distillate poison or bad or something. Figure best to toss the question out and see if anyone HAS had similar issue and learned /some/ lesson the hard way. Also, hi all, hope everyone is healthy and safe and keepin' truckin'. I haven't posted, or even thought of my passion, for so LONG!
I read, I write, I still.
The must interstitial man no Earth.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Re: Running an 18 month old heavy rum ferment

Post by Yummyrum »

If it smells OK run it .
You might get the medal for the oldest wash .
Sorry to hear about your families sadness
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Yeah what yummy said.
I'm a fan of aging rum beer prior to distillation.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Yummyrum wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:51 pm might get the medal for the oldest wash .
Wont go close......Myles holds that record at around 4 years I think.
SaltyStaves
Distiller

Post by SaltyStaves »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:45 pm
Yummyrum wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:51 pm might get the medal for the oldest wash .
Wont go close......Myles holds that record at around 4 years I think.
I think he said 8. :shock:
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

You could be right.
JesseMarques
Bootlegger

Post by JesseMarques »

I'm curious on your yeast. Wich cachaça yeast you got? CA-11 or Canamax?
hellbilly007
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by hellbilly007 »

LWTCS, would you mind giving your experience with aging rum beers? I'm sitting on one from 3 or 4 years ago. It still smells good. I've been too busy to do much hobby-wise
Single Malt Yinzer
Trainee

Post by Single Malt Yinzer »

Sorry to hear about your troubles. That's horrible about your family.

Nothing bad for you will live/carry over through the distilling process. For the wash as long as it hasn't turned to vinegar it will be ok. Hard to tell about off flavors but if it doesn't smell bad that's a good sign. Run it and let us know!
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

hellbilly007 wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:38 am LWTCS, would you mind giving your experience with aging rum beers? I'm sitting on one from 3 or 4 years ago. It still smells good. I've been too busy to do much hobby-wise
HB007,
My protocol is that there is no protocol lol.
Strictly born out of laziness and/or lack of time.

I've only ever let it go for a couple weeks or so. But wasn't skeer'd because I trusted my nose.

Also, one of the gents (can't remember his handle to save my life) had some wine in his shed a couple years and decided to run it. His description was "sublime". After that it became easy to be a bit more lazy about staying on top of my production cycle.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
hellbilly007
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by hellbilly007 »

LWTCS wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:23 am
hellbilly007 wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:38 am LWTCS, would you mind giving your experience with aging rum beers? I'm sitting on one from 3 or 4 years ago. It still smells good. I've been too busy to do much hobby-wise
HB007,
My protocol is that there is no protocol lol.
Strictly born out of laziness and/or lack of time.

I've only ever let it go for a couple weeks or so. But wasn't skeer'd because I trusted my nose.

Also, one of the gents (can't remember his handle to save my life) had some wine in his shed a couple years and decided to run it. His description was "sublime". After that it became easy to be a bit more lazy about staying on top of my production cycle.
I still plan on running mine. Finding the time is the hard part.

I live at work and get to visit home sometimes. When I do either I have a honey-do list or I'm just wore out. One day I'll retire and disappear into the man cave/laboratory :lol:
distiller_dresden
Trainee

Post by distiller_dresden »

JesseMarques wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:27 am I'm curious on your yeast. Wich cachaça yeast you got? CA-11 or Canamax?
Hey Jesse - It was the Cananmax, I actually got a sample pound bag before it was publicly or to distillery available in the US, before they launched it. Any cachaca yeast or wash discussions I've mentioned in any posts/history is that yeast RE cachaca. It has some funky pitching processes, much different from any yeast I'd used to the point I got hold of Canamax, like making (top of head here, without referencing the directions in the yeast product info) a wash that's about 1/6th starting volume and 1/10th starting sugar potential, then blooming the yeast first, and waiting a bit, then pitching into the partial sugar/volume bit, letting that go about a half day on its own, and then bringing up the potential with the remaining sugars and volume (water/molasses/etc.). I think this contributes to making the yeast ultra-healthy and strong before with a good population before the final sugar pitch. I believe it contributes to the flavors and esters I get out of Canamax and I would really recommend it, but I do NOT have the depth of experience I do using rum yeast.

The cachaca exact recipe was (got me juicy fruit distillate, not even 'hints', just strong straight juicyfruit)
1 gal alkaline water
.5 gal cocount sugar wash backset
5.5 gal water
3 tblsp lime (like, garden lime)
1/3c potassium bicarb
10g canamax
12g nutrient
4lbs zulka organic cane
6lbs turbinado or panela - needs be a more raw than 'sugar in the raw, piloncilo, any of the 'less processed' or 'dirty' cane sugars
1lbs coconut sugar
5.3 starting PH
2tblsp sodium benzanoate day 7, stir
1 bottle (tiny) the latic probiotic shot/drinks you can buy in grocery day 14, stir
24 hours after adding lactic, run it and scoop about 1/3 of your lees from the bottom of your vessel and add/mix to the pot for the cook

thumper, 1, charged with 32oz - half fermented wash, half neutral 40%, add 1/4c coconut sugar to thump charge, stir to dissolve

Lastly, no protocol, I didn't intend to do this - just time got away. I did just leave it entirely alone/almost forgot about it on a day-day basis. I didn't peak inside/uncap, I didn't even pull the heater, it (this rum wash with Canamax thats 16 mos old) it's been held at 88F for a year and a half and hasn't touched oxygen.

Thanks for the well wishes, nice comments, peers!
I read, I write, I still.
The must interstitial man no Earth.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

I'm sure you'll be rewarded with a very flavorful rum.
Nothing that will make up for your family's troubles, but delicious just the same, and worthy of raising a glass in celebration of better days ahead.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.