Don't be a fool, wrap the tool.

Simple pot still distillation and construction with or without a thumper.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Tom Kat
Swill Maker

Don't be a fool, wrap the tool.

Post by Tom Kat »

20210329_190653.jpg
20210329_190653.jpg (27.87 KiB) Viewed 2577 times

I made sure to cover the top of the boiler. Looking forward to trying it out.
There's no place like home
Durhommer
Distiller

Re: Don't be a fool, wrap the tool.

Post by Durhommer »

Nice work on that wrap
You have two ears and one mouth for a reason....
Tom Kat
Swill Maker

Post by Tom Kat »

Thanks, the tape was really strong.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

I like it. Plus, it’s nice and shiny!
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

I hope that you are running an electric element, fire and reflextix could cause it to melt and make a mess

Stay safe
OVZ
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Oldvine Zin wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:04 pm I hope that you are running an electric element, fire and reflextix could cause it to melt and make a mess...
If you’d look at his foto....you can see the element ferrule on the bottom of the boiler. Doh!
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Very pretty.

I wrapped mine after the first run, then wrapped the preheater before it's first run, but neither of them look as nice as yours. :thumbup:
Tom Kat
Swill Maker

Post by Tom Kat »

still_stirrin wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:55 pm
Oldvine Zin wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:04 pm I hope that you are running an electric element, fire and reflextix could cause it to melt and make a mess...
If you’d look at his foto....you can see the element ferrule on the bottom of the boiler. Doh!
That's because I listened to an ole boy from Kansas who has been down the road before me!!!

I read a lot about what you have written on here about covering the top, I hope you caught that! :wink:
Tom Kat
Swill Maker

Post by Tom Kat »

Oldvine Zin wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:04 pm I hope that you are running an electric element, fire and reflextix could cause it to melt and make a mess

Stay safe
OVZ
220 my friend....why waltz when you can rock and roll???
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

still_stirrin wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:55 pm
Too bad that my eyesight sucks! Only saw a ferrule and no assumptions of it's use.

Stay save
OVZ
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

Tom Kat wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:59 am
Oldvine Zin wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:04 pm I hope that you are running an electric element, fire and reflextix could cause it to melt and make a mess

Stay safe
OVZ
220 my friend....why waltz when you can rock and roll???
:thumbup: :thumbup:

Stay safe
OVZ
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

Reflective insulation seems to be a popular choice for wrapping boilers, but as I've always been somewhat cynical about it's ability to actually contain heat, especially as in this use it's working against conductive and convective losses more than radiated losses. When your still is at temperature can you comfortably put your hand on the insulation?

I've got some fibreglass left over from a recent build that I was planning on using to wrap the still, although aesthetically it won't hold a candle to the reflective stuff, it should actually be pretty effecient.
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers
Toxxyc
Swill Maker

Post by Toxxyc »

I think those thick yoga mats will work well for insulating the kettle as well. Cheap as chips, and come in nice wide rolls. People sometimes use it as camping mattress bases to insulate the cold from below. Want to try that one myself.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

NormandieStill wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:43 pm Reflective insulation seems to be a popular choice for wrapping boilers, but as I've always been somewhat cynical about it's ability to actually contain heat, especially as in this use it's working against conductive and convective losses more than radiated losses. When your still is at temperature can you comfortably put your hand on the insulation?

I've got some fibreglass left over from a recent build that I was planning on using to wrap the still, although aesthetically it won't hold a candle to the reflective stuff, it should actually be pretty effecient.
I use a fibreglass product that has a reflective layer on my Bokakob and can run my hand up it to feel where the vapor has risen to during the startup.

You should be able to look up the specs for any insulation you find, the higher the better. I've always used whatever I found cheap, or free, or was given to me by friends who knew what I wanted it for.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

I'd really like to waltz.

Geoff
The Baker
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

reflectix is awesome. no problem touching when the boiler is full smoke.

the insulator fellas at the petro-plant down the road would be impressed with your craftsmanship.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

NormandieStill wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:43 pm Reflective insulation seems to be a popular choice for wrapping boilers, but as I've always been somewhat cynical about it's ability to actually contain heat, especially as in this use it's working against conductive and convective losses more than radiated losses. When your still is at temperature can you comfortably put your hand on the insulation?

I use two wraps of reflectix on my column spools, and I'm still able to hold the column, but it still releases enough heat to see where the vapor is in the column.
Currently I only have one layer around the boiler, because that's all I had left of a roll. The top of the boiler gets insulated with a rolled up bath towel. That's where most of the heat loss is anyway. The reflectix just shields the boiler and column from the cold drafts. Before I switched from propane the boiler wasn't wrapped at all.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

If you've got a mostly Stainless Steel still with a token amount of copper, you shouldn't be insulating the copper section because you need all of the passive reflux you can get in that area.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

NZChris wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:25 pm If you've got a mostly Stainless Steel still with a token amount of copper, you shouldn't be insulating the copper section because you need all of the passive reflux you can get in that area.
Not sure if that's directed at my comment, but the only SS in my pot still is the boiler and the sight glass. When I run my CCVM, there's an additional 20 inch SS spool. My packing is all copper mesh. Plenty of copper here.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Deplorable: how much time do you save in a run by having the boiler insulated.. have you checked the running time vera insulated and not insulated..

I used to insulate, some yrs back, but not any more.. the saving in running time was very little.. power used equal to time run was very small like about 4 - 5 min per run different.. but I must state that I run in a stable ambient area indoor..

Maybe it has beneficial fact outdoors..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

StillerBoy wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:19 am Deplorable: how much time do you save in a run by having the boiler insulated.. have you checked the running time vera insulated and not insulated..

I used to insulate, some yrs back, but not any more.. the saving in running time was very little.. power used equal to time run was very small like about 4 - 5 min per run different.. but I must state that I run in a stable ambient area indoor..

Maybe it has beneficial fact outdoors..

Mars
I just wrapped my boiler after switching to electric. That being the only change, my time to boil 13 gallons of 56°f water was within a few minutes of the time used running a 100K BTU burner(50 minutes). I haven't run a distillation run yet with the electric element, so I can't say if it will have any impact. I run my still in the garage protected from breezes, but I can't say that there are no drafts. The door has to remain cracked running gas obviously, so on days when the wind is blowing, I'm sure there's a good draft in there.
My spirit runs are around 6.5 gallons of 35-40% low wines, so there is a good bit of head space in the boiler. That is the area that I hope to achieve some temperature stability. I don't know yet if it will make a difference, or if I am chasing a phantom. Especially given that the lions share of my runs are made with the pot still.
My two reflux runs on my CCVM were both pretty good without insulation on the boiler. My first attempt made 93%. My 2nd, running a little slower, and maintaining a semi flooded state throughout the run got me 95%.
So, I doubt the insulation is warranted in my situation, but I won't know without trying. I had the wrap available from leftovers of the roll I use to cover the windows in my RV for winter storage, so why not try.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Deplorable wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:57 am My first attempt made 93%. My 2nd, running a little slower, and maintaining a semi flooded state throughout the run got me 95%.
Thanks for responding..

Running in the semi flooded state made a hell of a different.. from 93 to 95% is a hell of an improvement in efficiency..

Once you learn how to get there, and learn what is sounds like, it become very easy going forward..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
SmokyMtn
Rumrunner

Post by SmokyMtn »

Don't you need an air gap for that work?

Reminds me of back when I was in school. Every field trip, the kids would have a 12 oz aluminum can wrapped in aluminum foil. Never understood what difference that made either.
My 9" Shotgun Condenser

This hobby really is not so much about making alcohol. But bottling opportunities to make memories with Friends and Family.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

SmokyMtn wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:23 am Don't you need an air gap for that work?

Reminds me of back when I was in school. Every field trip, the kids would have a 12 oz aluminum can wrapped in aluminum foil. Never understood what difference that made either.
It's bubble wrap in mylar. It is an air gap. It's actually a pretty effective insulator, but, instructions on their website for use on a water heater, do actually call for a gap.
AlWorms
Novice

Post by AlWorms »

Toxxyc wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:42 pm I think those thick yoga mats will work well for insulating the kettle as well. Cheap as chips, and come in nice wide rolls. People sometimes use it as camping mattress bases to insulate the cold from below. Want to try that one myself.
That's what I have on my Keg boiler. I believe it's EVA foam.

It shrinks and distorts a little bit, but the main outside on mine is OK and I covered the whole outside in duct tape.

I've left my boiler full of dunder after a stripping run, outside overnight (probably 18-20C ambient) and they next day, it was still too hot to put your hand in!
Tom Kat
Swill Maker

Post by Tom Kat »

I ran a wash yesterday.

As many have stated, its probably not a good idea on copper parts in the vapor path but works great on my keg boiler.

YES you can touch the boiler at 200 plus degrees (F) and YES I think it warms up faster and IT APPEARS to retain heat well. I am impressed with the material. Are there other insulating materials that may work better for this reason or that reason? PROBABLY.

However...

I am happy as a clam with my decisions on this build, starting with the 220 VAC element that warms up 6 gallons in less than 25 minutes at half power. I think the refeltex was a good choice as well, I would do it again if given the choice, with no regrets or thoughts about what may or may not be marginally better.

BTW my Long Tom condenser worked like a boss, I am very happy I upgraded.
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

Tom Kat wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:27 pm I ran a wash yesterday.

As many have stated, its probably not a good idea on copper parts in the vapor path but works great on my keg boiler.

YES you can touch the boiler at 200 plus degrees (F) and YES I think it warms up faster and IT APPEARS to retain heat well. I am impressed with the material. Are there other insulating materials that may work better for this reason or that reason? PROBABLY.

However...

I am happy as a clam with my decisions on this build, starting with the 220 VAC element that warms up 6 gallons in less than 25 minutes at half power. I think the refeltex was a good choice as well, I would do it again if given the choice, with no regrets or thoughts about what may or may not be marginally better.

BTW my Long Tom condenser worked like a boss, I am very happy I upgraded.
:thumbup: :thumbup:

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd