Hello Everyone! -Notsoproud owner of Chinese Still

Moderator: Site Moderator

realestwhiteboy
Novice

Re: Hello Everyone! -Notsoproud owner of Chinese Still

Post by realestwhiteboy »

Got a very similar setup on my kitchen table, right now. haha I paid extra on Amazon to get still from Canada, the only major difference I see is my coil is copper and my fittings are brass. My first still, so was looking for something to get my feet wet. I specifically wanted to avoid China, because I figured if it's from Europe or North America, then it would have better food-grade health/safety standards. Got my box, opened it up, and a giant "Made in China" sticker was looking me in the face ... it was just stock being held in Canada to fool fools like myself. :D

I'm assuming the pots and copper coil are safe (hoping). The gaskets and seals were a major concern for me, but it sounds like I can wrap those in PTFE tape and be safe there? That's good news. I have plenty, I recently replaced some pipes and buy in bulk. LOL

For the thick seals on rim/lid of the pot and "thumper", these definitely don't pass the "pinch" test. I think that isn't 100%, but with it coming from China and turning white when I pinch/stretch it, I'm just chucking it. Plan to go with flour paste instead.

All of the fittings on my China still are brass, as well. Which I was told is not good.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

realestwhiteboy wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:51 am....because I figured if it's from Europe or North America, then it would have better food-grade health/safety standards...
China is rapidly becoming the “manufacturing center” of the world. With inexpensive labor, a fantastic braintrust, and more robotic tools than anywhere else, it’s no wonder that much, if not most, of our products are made there. And, much of the stainless steel is now produced in China....even for goods marketed and sold in the western hemisphere.

But that doesn’t mean that the products made in China are less than “food safe”. Some of the Chinese designed stills with low budget pricetags are built designed and made that way for the “entry-level” market, an attempt to open the market at a very low entry cost. Indeed, a sacrifice to quality in favor of cost is a way to entice the under-educated. So....”buyer beware”.

Now, I’m not advocating Chinese products over “Made in USA”, certainly not. I am much in favor of supporting our North American economy, so I am selective about my investments. But bear in mind, that a lot of the merchandise sold on “this side of the pond” will have components at least, manufactured in the Far East.

And I wouldn’t assume that all Chinese goods are “unsafe”. Sure, there is “cheap stuff” sold here that was “Made in China”, but you can also get good merchandise from China manufacturing as well. Just be prepared for the import taxes and the shipping delays. In the meantime, make sure you invest wisely...and not simply “cheap out”. You’ll be glad you did.....”buy once, cry once”.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Birrofilo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Birrofilo »

A good which is branded by a Western producer, or which is imported by a Western importer, even if manufactured in China, is supposed to be manufactured according to the quality standards that are expected in Europe or in the destination market.

By applying the logo C E the importer certified that he verified, under his responsibility, that all EU norms are satisfied (the C E mark is not to be confused with the deceiptively similar CE mark, China Export, which is a dirty trick made by China).

I would be wary of Chinese goods which are exported directly to your address from a Chinese seller, even through Amazon, because in that case you are basically "importing yourself" the good, you are the importer, there is no importer who does the job of norms compliance verification.

A made in China product bought from a real importer in Europe or the Western World is to be taken with (almost) the same degree of confidence you have in a Western product because (theoretically) it satisfies the same standards.
tiramisu
Swill Maker

Post by tiramisu »

The vast majority of home distilling equipment sold in North America is simply resold Chinese parts.

There are a few North American shops doing their own welding and custom stills but in practice the prices from
China for piece parts is hard to beat. The Chinese always seem to be able to win on shipping as well.
Not exactly sure how they manage that magic.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Birrofilo wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:21 am
By applying the logo C E the importer certified that he verified, under his responsibility, that all EU norms are satisfied (the C E mark is not to be confused with the deceiptively similar CE mark, China Export, which is a dirty trick made by China).

I would be wary of Chinese goods which are exported directly to your address from a Chinese seller, even through Amazon, because in that case you are basically "importing yourself" the good, you are the importer, there is no importer who does the job of norms compliance verification.
Thanks for sharing this. Given the disregard the CCP has for its own environment and citizens in favor of 'economic progress', it would stand to reason we might need to stay vigilant. A quick search found this.
European Parliament - 16 March 2017 wrote:
Subject: China Export and the CE marking

The illegal sale of a wide range of Chinese goods which, to get around EU legislation on the CE marking, bear an almost identical mark, is still widespread in Italy. The Chinese CE mark is claimed to be an abbreviation of ‘China Export’.

Consumers are misled by the fraudulent mark into purchasing goods that are potentially dangerous and which, as has been proven in some cases, are made from materials that are also highly toxic.

This also results in illegal competition and significant damage done to law-abiding Italian traders.

The decree on the European conformity (CE) marking provides, inter alia, that anyone using abbreviations that may be mistaken for the CE marking shall be fined between EUR 1 000 and EUR 6 000. This does not however seem sufficient to stop the trade in counterfeit goods bearing the Chinese mark.

1) Could the Commission provide information and statistics on fines imposed for counterfeit versions of the CE marking?

2) Will the Commission raise the issue of counterfeit goods at the next EU-China summit, which will, presumably, be held in June 2017?
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

There are good and bad in chinese stills and components. In the case of the particular still that you have, you got what you payed for."cheap rubbish."
I recently had the unfortunate experience of trying to help a newb run one of those stills for his first run in person.
The newb was fine.....the still made it one of the worst and most frustrating experiences Ive had so far in this hobby.
I wouldnt sell one of those things to my worst enemy.
realestwhiteboy
Novice

Post by realestwhiteboy »

Birrofilo wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:21 am I would be wary of Chinese goods which are exported directly to your address from a Chinese seller, even through Amazon, because in that case you are basically "importing yourself" the good, you are the importer, there is no importer who does the job of norms compliance verification.
Case in point: I've been replacing the brass fittings on my Chinese still today, but there is one that I can't find. 3/4"x5/8" male threaded on both ends. I finally switched my "304 steel" to "brass", and find dozens of them ... for hydraulic hoses. :wtf: I was wondering why the 5/8" end was tapered ... now, I know. :lol:
Birrofilo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Birrofilo »

Just discovered that the "China Export" mark, similar to the C E mark (self-certification of conformity to EU rules), is actually an "urban myth" due to some marks made by some Chinese producer without respecting the correct spacing.

The CE ("C E") mark remains the only mark to declare conformity with EU and the CE narrowly written doesn't mean China Export and, in fact, wouldn't be tolerated by EU authorities.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CE_marking