55 Gallon Plum Brandy Project

Information about fruit/vegetable type washes.

Moderator: Site Moderator

JeeterBee
Novice

55 Gallon Plum Brandy Project

Post by JeeterBee »

Hello All,

I was very fortunate this year. A friend called me over to pick his heavy laden plum tree. He has what I believe are mirabelle plums. They are sweat, juicy, and a beautiful golden yellow. I made some wine out of them last year and it was extremely good. This year I made 13 gallons of wine and 55 gallons of plum wash.

For the 55 gallon wash I used:
100 pounds of pitted plum.
.5 oz. Wine Tannin
7.5 oz. Yeast Nutrient
2.3 oz. Biotin wine energizer
8 tablespoons acid blend
6 oz. pectic enzyme
7 packs Lalvin QA23 yeast
I added sugar and water to reach 55 gallons at 10% ABV
I put the pitted plums in a huge mesh grain bag.

The starting gravity was 1.070
It finished in 7 days at .990

On the 7th day I squeezed all the juice out of the bag and ended up with 10 pounds of dry pulp. The pectic enzyme really did its thing plus the plums were super ripe and I also froze them after I picked them.

I let the wash clear for a week and it up cleared nicely. I then carefully siphoned the clear wash off the sediment bed. I ended up with enough wash for 3 full 14 gallon stripping runs and an 8 gallon stripping run. My keg is 15.5 gallons but I don't like to fill it too full especially on a new wash because I don't want to deal with foam.

Stripping run #1 was a 14 gallon load. I ran it as fast as I could and got 2.5 gallons of 55% low wines. I finished the last of the strip in a gallon jug and went all the way down to 10%. It sounds weird but I have 2.5 gallon glass jars that I like to strip into. I also have gallon jars. So the combined strip of the first 2.5 gallons is 55% and the last separate gallon is about 30%.

Stripping run #2 was about the same as run #1. I ran it faster and harder to see what would happen. I ended up with 2.5 gallons of 50% and a gallon and a half of 25%.

Stripping run #3 was similar but I ran it slower. I ended up with 2.5 gallons of 55% and a gallon and a half of 25%.

Stripping run #4 was a bit different. I only had about 8 gallons of wash so I added the extra jar or jar and a half from stripping runs numbers 1-3. This made my total volume of this last run 12 gallons. The yield was: 2.5 gallons of 60% and 2 gallons of 25%.

My totalled stripped volume is: 12 gallons of 50% low wines. I think my wash had a higher original gravity than I recorded.

I added 2 gallons of tap water to dilute it all down to 14 gallons of 40% low wines.

The smell is very sweet and fruity. Next step is a long ass day doing the spirit run.

I want this spirit run to be a good one and I want to make really precise cuts. I have 70 pint jars.

My still is a 2" pot still with a 40" inch tall copper column. I have a 36" long Liebig condenser. I have a 15.5 gallon stainless steel keg for a boiler. I power my still with a 220v internal heating element. I believe I can hit 5000 watts but I strip at around 3500 watts and I do my spirit runs around 1000 - 1500 watts. I usually pack my column with copper scrubbies.

I have a liter of 1/4" raschig rings and some toasted white oak coming in the mail. My in-laws cut down a large japanese plum tree earlier this year. I would like to chop up some of the large logs and try my hand at toasting and/or charring some.

I really don't want to mess this part up. Do any of you brandy makers out there have any advice to give me on how to run, cut, and age this project?

Some of the questions I have are:

1. Should I run it low and slow or kinda fast to carry over more flavor?

2. Should I fully pack the column with just copper scrubbies or use half copper and half raschig rings? Or should I pack only half of the column? Or no packing at all? This is a plum brandy and I believe I want more flavor. I wouldn't want to put all this work in for a plum vodka. Or do I?

3. For the cuts, should I collect into as many pint jars as it takes to get from heads to tails, air, taste, and blend? Or should I play it super conservative and collect 5% foreshots, 32% heads, 32% hearts, and 31% tails? Blending is the hardest part of this hobby for me. I will get it down some day. I hope.

4. For aging, I will try leaving some white and aging some on toasted oak. Should I add some charred oak? I will read up on toasting and charring the plum wood I have. I also have a 5 gallon oak barrel that I used to age last year's UJSSM. Can I use it again to age this brandy or is it spent?

I did remove 200 ml of foreshots from each of the stripping runs. I am still going to remove and discard the first 5% of the run.

I will be doing this spirit run in the next few weeks. I will post an update after the spirit run.

Again any advice or feedback would be greatly appreciated. Until then I will keep reading.

Jeet
cranky
Master of Distillation

Re: 55 Gallon Plum Brandy Project

Post by cranky »

JeeterBee wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:15 pm 1. Should I run it low and slow or kinda fast to carry over more flavor?
Depends on your definition of slow and fast. I like a twisted to broken stream, I think my collection rate is usually somewhere around a pint every 10 minutes (or is it 5 :problem: ) I can't say for sure right now. I will have to go see if I can find out exactly how fast I run.
JeeterBee wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:15 pm 2. Should I fully pack the column with just copper scrubbies or use half copper and half raschig rings? Or should I pack only half of the column? Or no packing at all? This is a plum brandy and I believe I want more flavor. I wouldn't want to put all this work in for a plum vodka. Or do I?
No packing
JeeterBee wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:15 pm 3. For the cuts, should I collect into as many pint jars as it takes to get from heads to tails, air, taste, and blend? Or should I play it super conservative and collect 5% foreshots, 32% heads, 32% hearts, and 31% tails? Blending is the hardest part of this hobby for me. I will get it down some day. I hope.
Collect in as many jars as you can, don't ever base anything on percentages, there are too many variables with fruit to try to do that.
JeeterBee wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:15 pm 4. For aging, I will try leaving some white and aging some on toasted oak. Should I add some charred oak? I will read up on toasting and charring the plum wood I have. I also have a 5 gallon oak barrel that I used to age last year's UJSSM. Can I use it again to age this brandy or is it spent?
I'd like to get ahold of some Japanese plum wood. If it is green it will need to cure for a year or two...or three before it can be used. My personal preference with plum brandy is to leave it white but everybody has their own preferences. There is no reason you can't age in a used barrel. I purposely have one that is well used because it's easier to control just how much oak (or other wood) gets infused into the product while it ages. You can always drop some dominoes or sticks of wood into the barrel to add more.
JeeterBee
Novice

Post by JeeterBee »

Good info Cranky.

Sounds like you recommend no packing.

I don't think my plum logs have seasoned enough. I would guess that they have only sat through the summer. They might need another 6 months to a year. I will set some aside for a future project.

I think this will be quite the run experience. I am curious to see what the taste difference is between aged white brandy and toasted oak brandy.

I really hope I yield enough brandy to make it to next year's plum harvest. Next year I will try to pick 200+ pounds.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

JeeterBee wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:53 pm Sounds like you recommend no packing.
I don't think there is a benefit from packing in a pot still when it comes to brandy.
JeeterBee wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:53 pm I really hope I yield enough brandy to make it to next year's plum harvest. Next year I will try to pick 200+ pounds.
Mine never makes it that long but I never get more than a bottle or two even in a good year.
Ogopogo
Novice

Post by Ogopogo »

Here’s what I’m doing with my 200lb of plums this year.
Ferment to 10-11%. Fairly quick Stripping run, then a slow ish spirit run. I dehydrated about 20lb of plums to add back to the aging with toasted French oak strips.
I’ve done this with apricots, apples and cherries and get ridiculous brandy.
I think I’ll add some raisins to a small batch and see how that goes.
Just some ideas for y’all
JeeterBee
Novice

Post by JeeterBee »

Sounds like some yummy liquor. My plum brandy from last year is about a year old. It has been sitting in my oak barrel aging nicely.
stillanoob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillanoob »

Nice! I wish I could have gotten 55 gallons worth of plums this year.

I really like the plum brandy I made this year white. There is so much subtle floral plum notes in there that I just couldn't oak it. I find it perfect between 45 and 50%.
Keyser Soze
Novice

Post by Keyser Soze »

I just got 120 lbs of large red plums from a friend. I wish to make brandy out of 100 of it. Did I read right? 100 pounds left you with 10 lbs of dry pulp? Also I have all stainless steel so should I add a little copper screening in the column to smooth it out or do I just run with no packing. First fruit wash for me and I love plum eau d vie.
There are none so blind as those who will not shut up and listen.
CikCikCikPogodi
Novice

Post by CikCikCikPogodi »

Keyser Soze wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:32 pm I just got 120 lbs of large red plums from a friend. I wish to make brandy out of 100 of it. Did I read right? 100 pounds left you with 10 lbs of dry pulp? Also I have all stainless steel so should I add a little copper screening in the column to smooth it out or do I just run with no packing. First fruit wash for me and I love plum eau d vie.
You need to wait little bit longer for larger plums add some sugar around 2-3% when water rises up its ready.
I am waiting too for water to rise up, smaller ones were already distilled.
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

So I also just finished a plum run from a little over 100 lbs of plums from the neighbors tree.
I de-seeded all the fruit into a 30 gal brute, that left me with about a foot of head space in that container. Added a bit of pectic enzyme, a couple ounces of EC 1118 yeast nothing else, the natural sugars is what I wanted, it sugared out at 20 brix so enough sugar and acid for me.

Fermented down to .9 and ended up with about 13 gals of juice after pressing, stripped that down to about 4ish gal of 30 abv. Ran a spirit run on that and after cuts ended up with 4 liters of 65 abv no added water needed.

My kitchen smelled so much like ripe plums I really hope that those aromas come through on the finished product.

I drained a 1 gal gibbs barrel that had some gumball head that had been ageing for a couple of years, and filled it with the plum, almost perfect amount for that barrel, a 1 gal gibbs holds 3.9 liters.
Don's Plum.JPG
Something I noticed on the gumball was while I started out with 3.9 liters of 60% when I drained it I was left with 2.5 liters at 67%. Seems like that the angles preferred the water over the alcohol.

Stay safe
OVZ
Keyser Soze
Novice

Post by Keyser Soze »

I completely forgot to check the starting gravity. Rookie mistake :oops: I did get 2 6 gallon fermentation buckets with 6 inch caps on top and some good plum wine. Used different yeast pkg in each bucket ec1118 and D47. Froze plums beat with a paint mixer and added 2 gallons or less of water to each. This weekend is straining time and 2 weeks to clear and my first run is on. I hope. No added sugar, but I will have a half batch of wine to mix with the low wines for flavor during the spirit run. I remember this stuff from my uncle Willie, a Gotscheer from Ridgewood. Clear and able to remove paint. Mmm mmm!
There are none so blind as those who will not shut up and listen.
CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Post by CoogeeBoy »

Anyone ever done a run leaving the fruit in the boiler? Like Rakia or Slivovitz?

Just wondering if any notes to compare to.
Taking a break while I get a new still completed....
SassyFrass
Distiller
Location: Sittin' on the side of the Mountain sippin' and smilin'

Post by SassyFrass »

I havent but shady started a thread showing all kinds of stills doing that very style of stilling. Some of the neatest distillations I've seen. Wish I spoke/understand multiple languages. Guess i need a fish.
SF
Simple Lil' Pot Still, no temp guage, no carbon, no scrubbers, nuthin' fancy. Sometimes use a thumper, sometimes don't.

Real good info for New Folks:
CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Post by CoogeeBoy »

SassyFrass wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:57 pm Guess i need a fish.
SF
Thanks Sassy, I will look for it.

Goodbye and thanks for all the fish!
SassyFrass
Distiller
Location: Sittin' on the side of the Mountain sippin' and smilin'

Post by SassyFrass »

CoogeeBoy wrote:
SassyFrass wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:57 pm Guess i need a fish.
SF
Thanks Sassy, I will look for it.

Goodbye and thanks for all the fish!
Dont thank me. Thank shadylane, he started the thread. I just watched a bunch of the videos.
SF
Simple Lil' Pot Still, no temp guage, no carbon, no scrubbers, nuthin' fancy. Sometimes use a thumper, sometimes don't.

Real good info for New Folks:
Slivovitz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Slivovitz »

I did half a 55 gallon drum of plums last year. It was fermented on natural yeast no sugar no water added. We ran it on pulp, after straining stones.

It would have yielded more if my buddy didnt let it turn to vinegar!

We plan to run a 55 gallon drum again this year same way.
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

Slivovitz wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:45 am I did half a 55 gallon drum of plums last year. It was fermented on natural yeast no sugar no water added. We ran it on pulp, after straining stones.

So you really liked that vinegar enough that you are going to repeat your mistakes again? :roll:
You are on the right track on not adding sugar or water, but you should control your ferment and add yeast. EC 118 is my go to yeast for fruit ferments.
Good luck and stay safe
OVZ
CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Post by CoogeeBoy »

Slivovitz wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:45 am I did half a 55 gallon drum of plums last year. It was fermented on natural yeast no sugar no water added. We ran it on pulp, after straining stones.

Yes, I was wondering about that.
I just racked my plum wine, only did 15kg. How many Kg or pounds in a 55 gallon drum may I ask?

My ferment left very little in the way of solids btw, I was really surprised how little was left.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Well that is roughly 44 Imperial gallons, at 10 pounds to the gallon if it were water.
So, 440 pounds.
Probably more than that, I'm guessing the plums are heavier.

For more exact science you will have to wait for someone else...

Geoff
The Baker
CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Post by CoogeeBoy »

The Baker wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:56 pm Well that is roughly 44 Imperial gallons, at 10 pounds to the gallon if it were water.
So, 440 pounds.
Probably more than that, I'm guessing the plums are heavier.

For more exact science you will have to wait for someone else...

Geoff
Thank you Geoff!
That is a lot of plums
CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Post by CoogeeBoy »

Just did my first plum brandy, simple pot still run.

Anyone got any advice on if I should have run it in reflux or if I should double distill?
stillanoob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillanoob »

I prefer mine double distilled.
CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Post by CoogeeBoy »

stillanoob wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:47 am I prefer mine double distilled.
I was hoping you wouldn't say that!
Got to make a lot more or get a second smaller still! Just when I was thinking about getting a bigger one. Dang
stillanoob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillanoob »

[quote=CoogeeBoy post_id=7663106 time=1617409052 user_id=78033

Got to make a lot more or get a second smaller still! Just when I was thinking about getting a bigger one. Dang
[/quote]

Yeah, sorry about that. I saved part of the hearts of the stripping run because it was good. But then I tasted it against the double distilled product and it didn't stand up.

I'm guessing you have an electric still? One thing I like about my gas fired still is I can run small amounts in it. It is a 10 gallon and I have run as little as 1.5 gallons in it.
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

CoogeeBoy wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:17 pm

What I did on my last plum spirit run was add a few inches of glass beads to the bottom of my 15 gal keg. Worked like a charm for that tiny bit of low wines.

Stay safe
OVZ
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Oldvine Zin wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:49 pm

What I did on my last plum spirit run was add a few inches of glass beads to the bottom of my 15 gal keg. Worked like a charm for that tiny bit of low wines.

Stay safe
OVZ
Great idea, the glass beads.
The element in my still is a bit high and I was thinking maybe of a couple of bricks so I can run the still with less liquid.
The beads or similar would be much better.

Geoff
The Baker
CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Post by CoogeeBoy »

Oldvine Zin wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:49 pm

Thanks Oldvine, a very helpful suggestion

Stay safe
OVZ
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Heat rises, so anything that interferes with convection runs the risk of not boiling a stagnant layer at the bottom. Check the temperature on the bottom of the still to make sure it isn't happening to yours.
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

NZChris wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:59 pm Heat rises, so anything that interferes with convection runs the risk of not boiling a stagnant layer at the bottom. Check the temperature on the bottom of the still to make sure it isn't happening to yours.
so the little bit of loss is not a concern for me
OVZ
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

I just had a taste of my plum that has been in barrel for 8 months. WOW I was amazed at all the plum flavors, I think that this my best brandy to date.
Next taste will be at the 12 month mark.
plum.JPG
Stay safe
OVZ