How to change a jet burner from house pressure (low) to tank (high)

LP, NG, gas burners of all types. Wood, coal or Steam equipment.

Moderator: Site Moderator

snikemyder
Novice

How to change a jet burner from house pressure (low) to tank (high)

Post by snikemyder »

I recently inherited a brewing/distilling setup. I'm all ready to go for my first mash, then realized that the previous owner was using house pressure for the jet burner. I am not equipped for running the burner from house pressure and want to convert the nozzle fitting for a high pressure 20lb propane tank. The internet has so far failed me in returning any information on how/if this is possible.

In addition to the jet burner, which is currently attached to the stand, I also have a cast iron round burner which is set up for high flow but does not have a stand. I'm hoping that I can either cannibalize the round burner or pickup what I need for the flow conversion relatively cheaply.

Any help would be appreciated. Pics attached.
PXL_20220623_015406879.jpg
PXL_20220623_015411240.jpg
PXL_20220623_015415604.jpg
PXL_20220623_015422588.jpg
Boozewaves
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: How to change a jet burner from house pressure (low) to tank (high)

Post by Boozewaves »

looks like you have everything you need there,

disconnect the threaded connector on the line that has the regulator and cast burner with 2 spanners , (think its 15 mm or 5/8 if its the size i'm thinking of) now the piece you have can connect to the burner straight away if you have a female side on the regulator . if its a male piece then undo the piece that sticks out of the valve on the big burner (keep the valve where it is) and then you will have 2 ends that connect

the previous owner of the pieces probably had that connector in the middle of the hose so they could keep their options open .
Become a distiller : start here viewtopic.php?t=52975
urbomb
Novice

Post by urbomb »

this all assumes that the PO was using propane as a fuel, if he was using NG, then the orifice size is incorrect too,
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

snikemyder wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:12 pm The internet has so far failed me in returning any information on how/if this is possible.
Great for bringing brewing strike water to temp quickly, your LPG jet burner may not produce the range of fine adjustments you'll want for spirit runs. Perhaps this is why (besides the cost of LPG) he converted to NG.

Converting a NG jet burner to LPG

Jet Burners
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
RC Al
Swill Maker

Post by RC Al »

I put a orifice calc up in this thread, might be of use to you, might not lols

viewtopic.php?f=86&t=87204&p=7712225#p7712314