Reflux column questions

Moderator: Site Moderator

jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Reflux column questions

Post by jonnys_spirit »

We either follow a tried and true recipe or based on what we’re making. For a neutral you may strip to a total higher abv because they feel that there will be less tails in the low wines and fir a whiskey they may strip to a total lower abv because they want to capture all the flavor.

On a pot still you spirit run boiler charge total abv also has an impact on the abv of your hearts cut. Depending on your cuts if course. 30% low wines abv will probably put your hearts cut in the 125proof range which is just about perfect for barrel aging give or take 5 proof either way. Without needing to proof down say 160pf with water to get to barrel proof. Makes it more like a home run when you get everything just right and don’t have to add water or whatever. I don’t always hit hime runs either but i try :)
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

It's all to do with ROI. Some people just don't see it as worth their time and/or cost of fuel to squeeze out every itty-bitty bit of alcohol. Most seem to shutoff around the 20 to 30 percent mark.

Posted along with jonnys_spirit.
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

jonnys_spirit wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:33 pm We either follow a tried and true recipe or based on what we’re making. For a neutral you may strip to a total higher abv because they feel that there will be less tails in the low wines and fir a whiskey they may strip to a total lower abv because they want to capture all the flavor.

On a pot still you spirit run boiler charge total abv also has an impact on the abv of your hearts cut. Depending on your cuts if course. 30% low wines abv will probably put your hearts cut in the 125proof range which is just about perfect for barrel aging give or take 5 proof either way. Without needing to proof down say 160pf with water to get to barrel proof. Makes it more like a home run when you get everything just right and don’t have to add water or whatever. I don’t always hit hime runs either but i try :)
I still scratch my head when you guys get them numbers on 30% low wine charged Spirit runs. I've run low wines from 40 down to 25% and my cut still comes off at 150P (75%) after blending all keeper the jars. WTH are you guys doing that I'm not to get barrel proof from that ABV charge? :think:
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

I should say “it depends” lol. On my smaller alembic it also comes out much higher like 160 even when i cut the low wines to say 20-25%. It has a wide “rotating column” that might allow more heat to escape as the vapor dwells in that section and passive reflux a little with the dimensions and scale... plus choice on cut points maybe?
————
————
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

could be. IDK. Its been consistent and predictable since I built it. Doesnt seem to matter if I cut fat or skinny. My sugar heads for white sipping and my AGs for ageing, all seem to end up between 73 and 78%. It's gotta be in the way the still likes to run. I dont lose any sleep over it, my booze is good.
I think I've only had one run that my barrel cut came off the still under 73%. and that was 1 of the 4 runs of single malt that filled my barrel. That one was and odd ball mash that had a lower ABV than the rest, like I flubbed my grain weights or didnt get the best conversion.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
TRK41
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by TRK41 »

jonnys_spirit wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:33 pm We either follow a tried and true recipe or based on what we’re making. For a neutral you may strip to a total higher abv because they feel that there will be less tails in the low wines and fir a whiskey they may strip to a total lower abv because they want to capture all the flavor.

So when you guys are doing your stripping runs, and its hard and fast, are you controlling the proofing by temperature? Or a better way to say it by applying more heat to the boiler to get the right abv% of the stripping run? How are you reaching your target ABV%?
TRK41
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by TRK41 »

S-Cackalacky wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:44 pm It's all to do with ROI. Some people just don't see it as worth their time and/or cost of fuel to squeeze out every itty-bitty bit of alcohol. Most seem to shutoff around the 20 to 30 percent mark.

Posted along with jonnys_spirit.
See for me its all quality over quantity, its only gonna be consumed by me and some family so it has to be as good as i can get it, dont really care about getting the most out of it but makes sense.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

TRK41 wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:04 am

So when you guys are doing your stripping runs, and its hard and fast, are you controlling the proofing by temperature? Or a better way to say it by applying more heat to the boiler to get the right abv% of the stripping run? How are you reaching your target ABV%?
Float a proofing hydrometer in your collection vessel and strip until total abv is 40/30/20 or whatever. Or take samples - i collect in carboys so i’ll sample. I find if I run the strip to close to 0% off the spout (or close to 212F vapor temp) that the low wines are in the 30% range so I just strip it an monitor vapor temp these days and might take a sample next day once everything is room temp.
————
————
BlueSasquatch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BlueSasquatch »

bluefish_dist wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:43 am I found normal caps from still dragon would flood at less than 4kw. The pro caps were better and could go higher, But they are really expensive. Seive plates easily ran circles around them in speed and cost .
You're saying that your prefer perforated plates, opposed to the bubble cap plates?
"In the silence of the study one can discuss theories, but only in practice one becomes an artist" - Meunier
bluefish_dist
Distiller

Post by bluefish_dist »

BlueSasquatch wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:26 am
bluefish_dist wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:43 am I found normal caps from still dragon would flood at less than 4kw. The pro caps were better and could go higher, But they are really expensive. Seive plates easily ran circles around them in speed and cost .
You're saying that your prefer perforated plates, opposed to the bubble cap plates?
Yes. Perf/sieve plates are much cheaper to make, run quickly, clean easily. No real downside. With lots of smaller holes the operating window was plenty large.
Formerly
Dsp-CO-20051