YEAST in small batches

These little beasts do all the hard work. Share how to keep 'em happy and working hard.

Moderator: Site Moderator

JOBRLA
Novice

YEAST in small batches

Post by JOBRLA »

Good day all,

I rarely make more than 2 distills a year. I can only find STAR DADDY yeast in 1lb packages. I hear it is only good for 6 months once open and placed in refrigerator. So, is there a place I can purchase it in smaller amounts, like the Fleashman yeast packages. 1Lb is allot of waste to 2 batches.

Thank you
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Re: YEAST in small batches

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Yeast should last for years if it's kept airtight and refrigerated.
EricTheRed
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by EricTheRed »

Ferment more.
Distill more
Age more
Give away more
And of course, drink a bit more

All in good fun :D
My fekking eyes are bleeding! Installed BS Filters - better! :D
Life has gotten interesting!
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

RED STAR active dry yeast comes from the same company LaSaffre as the Red Star DADY you use.

These packs are $2.69 at Amazon.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

I’ve had a jar of bakers yeast in the freezer for at least 2 years. I just pitched some yesterday and it’s working just fine. Keep it tightly sealed in the freezer and it’ll keep.
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
elbono
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by elbono »

I keep mine in a Ziploc with the air squeezed out in the frig and haven't run into trouble. If I question viability I proof a small amount with warm sugar water before I use it.

If I expect not to use an opened package for a long time I vacuum seal it and put it in the freezer.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

I've used outdated yeast, some over 3 yrs, kept at room temp given to me from brewshops, with no issues.. as was stated, if unsure if good, just proof it..

But should be able to get a kilo pack of Red Star for about the same price TB quoted for 3 small pack at Costco..

So there's your choices, just need to research a little, as there's lots of options, and it doesn't need to be DADY yeast, and there's lots of dry active in packs at the grocery store as they all work the same..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
JOBRLA
Novice

Post by JOBRLA »

Thanks all, just been reading up on yeast and several opinions on the web stating even if fridged, would only last 6 months. Damn, Ive thrown alot away. LIVE AND LEARN
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

JOBRLA wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:02 am just been reading up on yeast and several opinions on the web stating even if fridged, would only last 6 months.
What you need to be mindful of is that most of the statement made by the veterans here have experimented and experienced playing with using and storing yeast in as many ways a possible..

Whereas, most of the comments made on the web are in beer or wine making, so they do not want to introduce error in the process or go against the manufacturer of yeast makers.. as stiller's we try and get results, and if it's good, we let other know..

I used Lalvin 1118 yeast that was 1 yrs in making wine without any issues, and I often use the Lalvin (outdated) for making a sugar shine with instead of bread yeast, does making a slightly less sweetness to the finish product than bread yeast as bread yeast has a sweetness to it..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

I have yeast that was out of date 8-9 years ago....It was on sale cheap for that reason..........I'm still using it and it still works just fine.
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

Agree with others. I usually buy a 500-gram package, divide it into small bags and vacuum-pack.
By the way, I have a question for the members: have you ever noticed the difference between fridge / room temperature (considering the vacuum)?