Place for any food recipes that ya want to share

Moderator: Site Moderator

jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Bourbon Reduction - Flambé

Post by jonnys_spirit »

44F5109D-C30F-473E-A43C-591BF0B5FCA8.jpeg
Approximately 600ml bourbon feints @ 50%abv - aged 9 months on charred and toasted oak.
2 oz panela sugar
Zest / peel of one orange - de-pithed. Cut into small strips.
One charred/toasted oak finger.

Mix all ingredients into a 750ml bottle. Top up with feints to 750ml. Shake/wait until panela is dissolved. Might take a day or so. Keep in the pantry with other sauces, vinegars, and cooking wines… This isn’t for drinking.

Use a shot at a time in your favorite bourbon reduction sauce. I enjoy 4-5 shots cooked down one at a time with some mild caramelization of the sugars with the final shot ignited and flambé’d (safely) for the guests.

I’ve been using the good bourbon for this until I decided to try and make up some feints i’ve had aging.

Give it a try and customize to your own tastes!

Cheers,
-jonny
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Avalir
Swill Maker

Re: Bourbon Reduction - Flambé

Post by Avalir »

May need to try this. I already will occasionally oak my feints/tails to add flavor to wood that I'll toss on the grill (no definite amount of time, just until I want the wood or feints for something).
Did you notice much/any difference using feints vs drinking spirits?
"I am a man. And I can change. If I want to. I guess." ~Red Green
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Bourbon Reduction - Flambé

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Not much difference to me honestly. The orange and panela sort of takes over so I might top up with more feints when it’s 1/2 gone. I did sip on a small glass and it was surprisingly good! I’ll keep this topped up for culinary exploration in any case! Next sauce or demi-glaze will have less other spices to focus more on the bourbon flavors.

Cheers,
Jonny
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————