Do we have any outdoor cooking enthusiast around

Moderator: Site Moderator

Dancing4dan
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Do we have any outdoor cooking enthusiast around

Post by Dancing4dan »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:32 am Some fine looking Lamb Roast there D4D........I noticed when traveling in the US that lamb/ sheep / mutton.....what ever you want to call it , doesn't seem to be readily available on your supermarket shelves. Some folk I met there don't seem to have even ever eaten it.
Having said that I do know that one member here is fairly fond of the stuff.
Have you ever tried roasting the " shank" the very bottom below what is called the leg here.....Once it was considered " dog food" ......it is the best part of the roast.
images.jpeg.jpg
In hindsight what you have cooked looks like two shanks.......here we roast a whole back leg......sometimes the front leg.
Thanks Bill. Lamb isn’t very popular in North America. People seem to have an aversion to even trying it. Kinda weird. When I was a kid we ate lamb. Have always enjoyed it.

Will definitely be doing more lamb on the smoker. Followed a popular English Chef recipe this time. I think the temp of 350*F was to high and fast. Turned out good but next time will go slower and lower with some time in foil at the end to tenderize a little more.

Collected the dripping for gravy that turned out pretty good.
"What harms us is to persist in self deceit and ignorance"
Marcus Aurelius
I’m not an alcoholic! I’m a drunk. Alcoholics go to meetings!
bluc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bluc »

Did briskit in u.d.s last night :thumbup:
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

OK , this isn’t strictly an outdoor cooking question, but , I have this enamelled cast iron cook pot that we love . Alas , the enamel has crazed and started to chip off and I’m figuring you guys probably know way more on the subject than me .

I’m sure under all that crazed enamel is a wonderful cast iron cook pot .

Whats you’l thoughts on what I should do …. if anything .
I was hoping that maybe there is an easy way to strip off the enamel and just season it and use as a cast iron pot .
Maybe I’m barking up the wrong tree .
5E8A86E1-6E71-4E06-81AF-1B64E34271DB.jpeg
E3F13F54-725A-4824-AF62-096B9DC7F499.jpeg
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

The easy way would be to wait until they are on sale at Aldi again and buy another one. Getting the enamel off would be almost impossible I think.
Ive got a similar cast iron one here that you can have next time your around....just have to remind me.
BlackStrap
Swill Maker

Post by BlackStrap »

Yummyrum wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 3:05 am Whats you’l thoughts on what I should do …. if anything .
I was hoping that maybe there is an easy way to strip off the enamel and just season it and use as a cast iron pot .
I do not know of an easy way to remove all of the enamel...Its on there as a protective coating. (I don't believe the "cast" part is going to be like "cast Iron" pans you are familiar with.

I do know that if you continue to use the pot the enamel will continue to flake off into what ever it is your cooking... Not sure what that will do for the flavors of mouth feel.

If you are really into cast iron pots and pans. Check out Flea markets, garage sales, even Facebook Market Place and EBay.
Most questions can be answered here http://homedistiller.org/ and here http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=46

The one who cuts the firewood gets twice the warmth
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

Yummyrum wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 3:05 am OK , this isn’t strictly an outdoor cooking question, but , I have this enamelled cast iron cook pot that we love . Alas , the enamel has crazed and started to chip off and I’m figuring you guys probably know way more on the subject than me .

I’m sure under all that crazed enamel is a wonderful cast iron cook pot .

That enamel is a form of glass, as such it can be remelted to recoat the interior. there were shops in the U.S.

that would re enamel cast iron, I don't know about OZ. Having said that I could, with the tools I have, attempt

the re-enamel the pots I have that look like yours BUT I use them as is, or use the naked ones instead.

The easiest way to repair or modify is heat (750-850 C.) It is glass after all.

edit; the cast under the enamel is the same as a naked pot. some pots are ground from the mfg. to smooth the

pan and some are not. I have ground some of my unground pans for a smoother finish some are left alone.

edit; I don't use enameled pots/cast iron outdoors, only naked cast iron and that gets used anywhere.
Last edited by cob on Thu Aug 25, 2022 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
be water my friend
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Thanks for the replys .LOL bought it years ago Salty before we ever had an Aldi up here Salty , but not a bad suggestion . I'll try remember your offer on that spare pot :thumbup:

Thinking I might just live with it for now as the flaking although annoying , isn't happening fast. Good to know it could be repaired though .
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Id be concerned about possibly swallowing a sliver of chipped enamel / glass.
Probably not good for the insides :thumbdown:
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:11 pm Id be concerned about possibly swallowing a sliver of chipped enamel / glass.
Probably not good for the insides :thumbdown:
You raise a good point Salty
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

One of mine that is chipping is from macy's martha stewart collection. It is subject to a recall

because of the chipping. I tried starting in 2014 to get them to honor the recall, to no avail.

I still use it, and harass macys about a replacement 5 L. the other with chips is a german 10 L.
be water my friend
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Today for dinner I will be cooking a salmon I caught on the BBQ. Toward the end of the cooking I will use my A-maze-N to add a little smoke flavor to the fish.
0D9328BD-23F6-415B-A41B-38515898CBE3.jpeg
Sailman
Swill Maker

Post by Sailman »

In my opinion there's nothing better than a piece of good seasoned cast iron. I picked this one up a couple years ago and seasoned it with vegetable oil but it didn't turn out the way I wanted it so so I may have to strip it and redo it. Look in to find the picture of the Griswold a found one of this 12" lodge that I picked up the same day. The lodge turned out great and I love using it for my outdoor camping trips.
Attachments
IMG_20181022_090824.jpg
IMG_20190624_131317.jpg
contrahead
Trainee

Post by contrahead »

Yummyrum wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 3:05 am
Stripping that enamel would be a nightmare. But you might be able to score it.

I like Cob's answer the best. At least he appreciates that the enamel that you have there is glass, and that it is baked on. However I think that the temps that he mentioned are far too low. You're gonna need temperatures up around 1400º C to repair that finish. Ceramic kilns like those used to fire pottery in high school or college art classes, can reach that heat.

There are tricks and kits to use for repairing chips in cast iron bathtubs and sinks. These kits usually contain epoxy compounds and spray paints that look good, but which are inappropriate for the inside of a cooking pot that will be subjected to acidic foods.

If you had free time to waste and easy access to a kiln, then you could fix that pot yourself. You'd want to begin with enameling some small pieces of scrap metal first. Several artist have made modest incomes by selling small colorful figurines or jewelry made of enameled copper. I doubt if there is any difference between ceramic glaze and metal glaze; it is just powdered (wet when applied) glass.

If you had the free time to waste and the curiosity to proceed, you would want to scour and sand the entire inside surface of that pot; so that a new layer of powdered glaze can stick to it. Just fixing the “potholes” would leave a trail of evidence and would not look as good.

https://www.nolifrit.com/news/the-melti ... t-201.html
https://www.reference.com/science/tempe ... a0402f0a30
https://www.ehow.com/how_7920506_repair ... -sink.html
https://www.ehow.com/how_7648401_repair-enamelware.html
https://www.thespruce.com/what-is-enamel-paint-4589861
Omnia mea mecum porto
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Interesting Contrahead . I may have access to one of those types of kilns you mentioned :D
Will keep it in mind :thumbup:
NorthWoodsAb
Swill Maker

Post by NorthWoodsAb »

We've have a pig roaster for the past few years. Cooked a pig for my buddy's wedding in Sept. Charcoal heat, throw some hickory and/or apple wood chunks in there to smoke away. Man it can't be beat.
20220924_130739.jpg
Attachments
20220924_143944.jpg
contrahead
Trainee

Post by contrahead »

(better here than in 'Memes')
rotisserie.jpg
hot_dawg.jpg
Omnia mea mecum porto
Archee72
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Archee72 »

:lol: :ebiggrin: :clap: :clap: :clap:
contrahead
Trainee

Post by contrahead »

Cooking Shawarma From A Whole 100kg BULL On A Spit! A Grand Dish For All Children

This video made me hungry. It might have been filmed in Turkey? The woman is a good cook too. I like her samovar and what I think was rose-hip tea made with the hot water.. The way she makes the tortillas is pretty cool to.
Omnia mea mecum porto