Calling all Anvil Foundry Reflux Distillers

Vapor, Liquid or Cooling Management. Flutes, plates, etc.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Dexters Lab
Novice

Calling all Anvil Foundry Reflux Distillers

Post by Dexters Lab »

The aim of this post is to help connect those of us who are using the Anvil Foundry with a reflux column for distilling spirits. I’ve read some posts from people doing this but not a lot in the way of sharing specific questions/ experiences. I’d like to network with those of you who are and maybe get some threads going on specific Anvil Foundry reflux distillation topics, problems, and lessons learned.

Cheers,

Dexter’s Lab.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Calling all Anvil Foundry Reflux Distillers

Post by still_stirrin »

Dexters Lab wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:41 pm… the Anvil Foundry with a reflux column for distilling spirits…
Oh, would that be the, “Turbo 500” you’re asking about? It’s a lot of “what not to use” here. The boiler may be OK with some modifications. But the reflux column leaves a lot to be desired … like elimination of all the plastic and rubber parts. If you search the website for “Turbo 500” you’ll find a lot of discussion already.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Its got me wondering what a Anvil Foundry Reflux Distiller is to.....google comes up with more than one option for me.
Any chance of a photo or link to a still the same Dexter?
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

This is what I found when I googled Anvil.
5F0EA728-836C-4AD3-8FBA-E46202737285.jpeg
The “famous Turbo 500”.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Good lord . A T500 on a not T500 boiler .

At first glance , it looks like another Digiboil , Robostill style of controller , but this one seems to have a Power controller built in .

So it looks like the guys making these things are slowly getting the message .
Set it to 100°( or as high as it goes ) so it ingores the temperature ( as it should ) but use power andjustment to run the still .

I see they also have the “Alcogene” head available , what we all knew is the “pure distilling” head .

89BA548A-7942-48B2-B9DB-9F63CFACBFE1.jpeg
I am interested to hear what the cycle rate of the Power control is ?
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Seems they make all kinds of boilers and stuff. https://www.anvilbrewing.com/foundry-10-5
And that you can stick any after market still on top and call it an Anvil Foundry Still.
Here's another example I found
anvil.png
Really do need a photo or link to know whats, what here.
Dexters Lab
Novice

Post by Dexters Lab »

That’s correct SB, but not all are reflux stills. Didn’t want to be too limiting, but using a Foundry with the Turbo 500 is what I’m using, and it had its specific quirks from what I’m finding.

Yep, there are plenty of references to using Turbo 500, reflux stills, but not the specific combination.

Cheers,

Dexters Lab.
Attachments
Anvil Foundry with Turbo 500
Anvil Foundry with Turbo 500
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

So what are the problems / quirks that you want to know about.......I've owned and run a T500 plenty of times.
Dexters Lab
Novice

Post by Dexters Lab »

Yummyrum- yep it’s “similar” to the Grainfater, Digiboil, or Robobrew but with a few added features. The key difference being it’s dual voltage capability and 3 separate burners at different wattage. It’s primarily aimed for all grain brewers wanting and all in one, BIAB type system (thank you Aussies for showing us the BIAB method!).

The Still Spirits boiler is pretty specific in its use: distilling. It has two settings: on and off (though Richard at Love Brewing as a temp controller now, but far too expensive to ship to states).

I’ve been an all grain brewer for decades and switched to all electric single vessel brewing several years ago. Then later picked up Foundry 6.5 because I’m down to doing small batches with more variety.

My specific reason for choosing Anvil Foundry was (and is) the dual voltage capability. With 120v being standard household power in the states the other units mentioned are great - gave them consideration. But I have dedicated 240v power in garage specifically for brewing (3 vessel system then, now 240v with 5500w elements in BIAB type vessels). Being able to use 120v and 240v for same boiler is a great thing.

The Anvil Foundry uses a linear pulse controller for controlling power output, similar to their Blichmann Brewcommander controller. Side note: Anvil being part of Blichmann Engineering- the give outstanding customer support and technical service.

Had I not been trying to find a reflux condenser to fit the Foundry lid I’d have considered other options. The Turbo 500 has been a PITA for keeping stable temperature for water discharge. Chose it for simplicity and to see if I’d actually like distilling enough to stick with it. I do….!

Cheers!

Dexters Lab.
Dexters Lab
Novice

Post by Dexters Lab »

Thanks SB. Are you using the Anvil Foundry with it, or a boiler with a set temperature? Are you setting a fixed temp when you start (100C / 212F) and leaving set temp there the entire process? I’m assuming you set and maintain boiling temperature the entire time….?
Dexters Lab
Novice

Post by Dexters Lab »

still_stirrin wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:31 pm This is what I found when I googled Anvil.

5F0EA728-836C-4AD3-8FBA-E46202737285.jpeg

The “famous Turbo 500”.
ss
Yep, that’s the one
Dexters Lab
Novice

Post by Dexters Lab »

still_stirrin wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:58 pm
Dexters Lab wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:41 pm… the Anvil Foundry with a reflux column for distilling spirits…
Oh, would that be the, “Turbo 500” you’re asking about? It’s a lot of “what not to use” here. The boiler may be OK with some modifications. But the reflux column leaves a lot to be desired … like elimination of all the plastic and rubber parts. If you search the website for “Turbo 500” you’ll find a lot of discussion already.
ss
Understood, but I already have the Foundry (simple for brewing/ 240v) and that limits the types of distillation units - need to fit with the lid/latches. I’m not into distilling enough yet to take time building /modifying equipment to fit the Foundry. The Turbo 500 was a simple addition…. I know of no modifications needed on boiler itself, just fitting to lid. .???
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

I havnt run one in 8 years......but had one when I first started out......mine had the original still spirits boiler with one power setting.
Metalking00
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Metalking00 »

I know of no modifications needed on boiler itself, just fitting to lid
I dont know about that particular boiler, but I use a Digiboil. Their big limitation is only having on/off switches for the elements. Mine has switches for a 500w and 1900w element, giving the option of 500, 1900 or 2400w. Thats pretty coarse power control, and it make it difficult to get good results. The addition of an SCR allows finer power control.

With the addition of a controller, Im quite happy with my digiboil. I also have one of the alcoengine reflux heads, and i think its fine once you get rid of the restrictor nozzles snd replace them with a needle valve, and add a spool under it. Again, quite happy with it for what i paid.

On the topic of the t500- the friend that got me into distilling used one, and i recall him saying "they dont last forever, i get a new one every few years". I can only assume that was because of the plastic bits breakin down, as he had quite a few of the boilers sitting around that were still in working order. You dont see anyone of the guys on this forum replacing their copper or ss stills every few years due to wear and tear. Or ever, really.
greggn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by greggn »

Dexters Lab wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:18 am
a Foundry with the Turbo 500 is what I’m using

There's a lot of plastic in that photo.

I drank fifty pounds of feed-store corn
'till my clothes were ratty and torn
Dexters Lab
Novice

Post by Dexters Lab »

greggn wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:16 am

OK, so… that’s how they’re made, that’s how they’re used. I’m no asking for how to upgrade, what’s a better system, why this is better than Foundry or Still Spirits Turbo 500…it is what it is. Who’s using this set-up and what are their experiences and lessons learned? I’d think there would be newer distillers who have or do use this…
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

Dexters Lab wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:25 am
greggn wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:16 am

OK, so… that’s how they’re made, that’s how they’re used. I’m no asking for how to upgrade, what’s a better system, why this is better than Foundry or Still Spirits Turbo 500…it is what it is. Who’s using this set-up and what are their experiences and lessons learned? I’d think there would be newer distillers who have or do use this…
The use of plastics is not allowed on these forums. It is strictly prohibited. The tubes in the product path at showing clouding as a result of leaching. You are not looking to upgrade. We are not going to debate it. End of story.