My journey

Discussing personal experience's of getting into distilling sprits .

Moderator: Site Moderator

Bushman
Admin

My journey

Post by Bushman »

After reading different posts this morning I wanted to talk a bit about my journey and also the following thread but didn’t want to steer it off course Dephlagmater Comparison. When I started most members were building a 2” boka (short for bokakob) or they were building pot stills. I built a 2” VM. After a couple years of only making neutrals and getting my whiskey taste through flavoring I decided to build a CM still. At the time the CM had a bad name because of poor designs with through pipes which gave very little reflux. With larger diameter columns being built we had an explosion with members designing new stills to handle the size difference. Members started moving from coils to a shotgun design. Old Dog (OD) came out with a hobby sized flute and that became the rage. Many members moved from experimenting with different packing to plates. I built a shotgun for both my RC and PC with a 4” column but stayed with packing. Also at this timer members were moving from propane to electric still and I followed the crowd and not only is it cheaper to run, safer, it is also easier to control heat. After my build the CCVM was introduced. Members thought this gave them more flexibility. I can’t answer yes or no to this as I have never built one. I did find that when I learned to run my CM I could get both a vodka (don’t want to use the term neutral) and a quality whiskey depending on what I was fermenting and how I ran my still. I always thought that manually moving a coil up and down would have problems for me. The first is I would have to have a small ladder to reach the coil to make an adjustment. I will say that with my CM the adjustments have to be small and a few minutes for it to take effect or I will over compensate. I want to credit Jimbo although he wasn’t the only one but he made AG whiskeys easier for most of us that were basically only doing different sugar washes. With that said after 10 years of running a reflux still the last two I have built have been small pot stills, one for essential oils and the other for gin. I love the flexibility I now have as after I built my CM more members were making their stills modular so they could make modifications depending on what they are making. I am lucky enough to have a large outbuilding so having the space is not an issue. This has been my journey would love to hear others thoughts or influence's.
Wyododge
Bootlegger

Re: My journey

Post by Wyododge »

Excellent story sir, my journey is just beginning but you (and many others) have a huge part in it. For that, I thank you and will toast you all with my first glass of swill.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Well,,,I first got interested in distilling when the price of diesel fuel ballooned to over $5 per gallon back around the mid to late 2000s.
Had my truck in at the local diesel shop when the owner got to telling me about how he had heard that some of the locals were harvesting seaweed / plant material out of the canal systems in order to make their own biodiesel. I am flanked on two sides by a canal, so I figured I could exploit some resources in my back yard?
So I started to search on line how to do that.
It didn't take long before I realized that it would take many more man hours than my regular job just to render a single tank of fuel. And I was filling up several times a week. Fuel production was out.
Oh but hey!!? What is this Home Distiller website thing? Oh hey,,,What? I can make my own alcohol? Lets have a look into this.

I started out with a ridiculous little stove top rig and soon learned that electric cook tops make a terrible heat source. I also learned that my little stove top rig didn't make nearly enough product to get me ahead of my consumption curve. And also learned that my wife thought I was more or less crazy.
Not long after, I upgraded to a keg for a kettle. Soon I started researching thumper designs in an effort to boost proof as I am lazy and did not want to make two runs. Shortly thereafter I became inspired by olddog's Frankenstill build and was also inspired by an inline thumper design that lead me to the Humper Thumper build. (Btw, the Humper Thumper project later became the impetus for the Bubble Ball project and much of the activity devoted to putting an actual plate section under a packed column.
Minime was instrumental in proving there was merit as he had the capability to monitor temperatures at various locations of the column and therefore proved on a side by side basis that the bubble ball (or the like) was able to allow the packed column to provide far more stable behavior than the same column mounted straight onto the kettle. Even though the bubble ball only counted as a single plate.) This was especially gratifying as there were a few math centric individuals that seemed to be proving on their white board talks that what was happening was not possible. :mrgreen:
Most of that drama occurred over at Pint's sight.

I digress, I still wasn't quite satisfied with the boost in proof and began planning for a set of "mini" thumpers to mount to the top of the Humper Thumper. And I also fooled around with a cobbled together refining lintel all in an effort to boost proof. Btw, this was prior to olddog revealing the Magic Flute build. So anyway, at this point the only plated columns known to anyone were the slant plates found on Alex Bokakob's design lol. The plated column term was still very esoteric.

So I cobbled together a set of 3 little thumpers that were stacked on top of each other. It was essentially a 3 plate column, though that is not what I thought it was. It was 3 little thumpers as far as I was concerned at the time. It wasn't until after olddog reveled the magic Flute that I realized what I had was a just a 3 plated column with the equivalent of a single bubble cap at each plate level and externally mounted downcomers.
It was gawd awful ugly but I was finally able to make rum with the flavor profile, mouth feel, and ABV I was looking for. It worked great.
That still taught me so many things about phase change and mass transfer. It has since been retired and I even gave bits of it away to a friend that more than likely scrapped it:( I do still have my original parrot though. In those days there weren't too many fully integrated parrots either.

I really did enjoy the design build process most, though I am actually quite terrible as a fabricator.
I'm sure I left out a bunch of details and time lines.

Ok, tired of typing and I'm sure you're tired of reading.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Larry I remember when you first came up with that stacked design, all during what I call the boom era of our hobby. At the time I was with Mash Rookie building my 4” CM and we were discussing you idea looking forward to hear the results.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Bushman wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 12:36 pm Larry I remember when you first came up with that stacked design, all during what I call the boom era of our hobby. At the time I was with Mash Rookie building my 4” CM and we were discussing you idea looking forward to hear the results.
Yeah just a bunch of activity in those days. The learning curve really took a rapid jump upward.
Many of the established guys at the time were super skeptical.
Harry, Pint and others were pretty critical. It seemed like it took Swede and then AC put together their plated columns and confirmed that the run data was indeed verifiable that the old guard finally came to realize the design was legit.

Decoy missed the boat as he was the only one remotely close to experimenting with plates before olddog, but was never able to execute a build that would behave adequately as I recall.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
Wyododge
Bootlegger

Post by Wyododge »

LWTCS wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:41 am Ok, tired of typing and I'm sure you're tired of reading.
Never.
Bryan1
Swill Maker

Post by Bryan1 »

My journey began when reading another forum not even related to this craft and at work had a heap and I mean a heap of S.S. So every Friday after lunch I would shut the shed door and get tigging up a 2" potstill, 5 litre boiler and a 25 litre boiler. Then I found the Aussie forum and read a heap on making a bubbler and Mac gave me a great deal on a set of perf plates. So my 4" bubbler was built and it's taken on a life of it's own, different wash's will mean different behavior of the still. AllGrain would fog all the plates early where TPW would run like clockwork. Spirit runs after stripping take 1/2 day but thats enough for 1/2 a years drinking so the still just sits there and tells me the humidity in the shed. clear site glass's very low humidity, foggy site glass's very high humidity so a storm is more than likely approaching.

So the journey into copper started and will never stop I just had to make a small still to process the fruit projects where I would ferment in 2 litre goon bottles and with my minime still with a 1 litre boiler along with a 500ml thumper would serve it's purpose nicely.

Actually that first still I made was used on the weekend for making some licorice liqueur and with the 5 litre boiler it's very handy for small maceration runs.

Cheers Bryan
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Bryan have you shared your licorice liqueur recipe? Is it similar to Ouzo or Nuit Noir?
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

When I first started I think I read 2 or 3 hours a night for over a year. Not just HD, but books, legitimate hobby distiller sites (mostly Aussie, not Yahoo), magazines and the commercial distillers Forum, ADI. Sure, it was during the initial boom of U.S. distillery start-ups, but what surprised me was the number of times the pros on ADI referenced Home Distiller and how many of them asked questions many members here already know the answer to intimately.

My catalyst into the hobby came from being gifted lengths of 2” and 3” copper. I had never worked with metal or solder, but I like to build stuff, and a modular pot still ensued. I knew from the outset I wanted a shotgun condenser: compact, bullet-proof, all-copper and an out-performer without having to make any mods to it. I just had to figure out a way to build it. Quite a few restless nights led to a design my neighbor (with a CNC shop) helped out with and from the dies he made from my napkin drawing, I was able to fab up the prototype, which I have used exclusively for the last five years. It didn’t dawn on me that others could benefit from the ease of simply assembling the plates and shotgun pieces and with a touch of solder here and there put a pressure-tight condenser on their rig with a few hours of stress-free work. It actually took another member’s suggestion to do this and filling orders has steady ever since.

To learn my new still I completed the requisite sugar wash and multiple UJSSM runs before moving into all-grain, a familiar practice from brewing days. Over the first dozen or so mostly bourbon grain bills I learned that the quality of one’s spirit comes from a controlled ferment and proper aging, at least for double-distilled, full-flavored expressions. With the help of a member who has become a good friend (though we’ve never met) I acquired a once-used 5gal barrel that provided the nudge to order another (new) one.

While building has been fun, the quest for cool (time-saving) equipment and accessories has been ongoing. I now rely on multiple-sized kegs for mashing, fermenting and distilling, a fourth fridge, a copper kiln for home-made malts, a hammer-mill, and way too many storage vessels. A temp-controlled fermentation chamber, coolant water chiller, malting racks etc are still needed, since the list is endless as long as this rabbit hole continues.

For me, the overwhelming bonus to this hobby and this site, (over-and-above the satisfaction of making and drinking very good spirits), is people; the collaboration, camaraderie and generosity of members from all over willing to share what they know all in the name of helping others to improve. I find myself juggling texts, emails and PM’s from three or four various members, at times simultaneously, and my PM mailbox requires constant attention because it is seemingly always full and stops displaying new messages until space becomes available. If it was just me sitting and distilling by myself, this journey wouldn’t be nearly as fun as it is now.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Bryan1
Swill Maker

Post by Bryan1 »

Bushman wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 4:38 am Bryan have you shared your licorice liqueur recipe? Is it similar to Ouzo or Nuit Noir?
Not on this forum mate but is a pretty simple recipe albeit from the tinctures used.

5 litres of 40% neutral

10 grams of Star of Anise
15 grams of homegrown licorice root
50ml of black pepper tincture
30ml of cinnamon tincture

Now with my tinctures I soaked the spices in 90% and every 3 days poured out the liquid into a stubby bottle, when the stubby was full I put it into my 1 litre glass lab still with another stubby of water and distilled it to get 80% spice spirit.

Ran it thru my 2" pot still and when taking a D.P. thru the hearts it did fell like I had just eaten a licorice :mrgreen:

Now Ouzo is too much in ya face with a flavour that goes close to knocking your socks off where my spirit is very smooth and the after taste is where it stands out. Really the neutral is the key and I put my TPW over 8 plates in 2 runs then a final run with the 500mm packed section. So in total 12 plates and the packed section for my neutral. In summer i leave a bottle of it in my freezer and on a hot day having a dram is just a cold feeling going down the throat and no taste at all.

Cheers Bryan
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

All right, I'll play.
Moonshining has always appealed to me since I was a teenager, but I never took the time to really dive into figuring it all out. Covid lockdown and a disdain for the direction of our republic was a tipping point for this old patriot and I took the plunge and ordered a Still online. Then I found HD figuring I'd better figure out how to use it. Thats when I found out my 1st and 2nd mistakes. I ordered too small of a boiler was the first issue I figured out before my order was even filled, So I quickly reached out to the retailer and rectified that by upgrading from an 8 to a 13-gallon milk can boiler.
My 2nd mistake took me a bit longer.
After a couple of runs I discovered that a) SS is not efficient at heat transfer and that most online RTR stills come severely under equipped for a product condenser, and b) there are no good "dual purpose" stills on the market.
My first modification was to cut the SS Liebig condenser off and build a 46" long 3/4 over 1/2 inch Liebig and mated it to the existing still head with a 1.5" TC adaption. That's when I started to better understand vapor speed and the effects it has on much of the process.
Still not happy with my efficiency, and looking to improve it, I started taking advice from someone who's become a friend, coach and mentor, and set out to build a 2" modular CCVM and a shotgun condenser. I did all of this while in the middle of trying to fill a 5 gallon barrel with single malt whiskey.
Within a year of making the decision to finally learn how to make my own whiskey I put up a 5 gallon barrel of single malt, 3 gallons of sweet feed "whiskey" built a CCVM, and a shotgun condenser, made some respectable 93%ABV from the feints, restored a 100+ year old grist mill I found in an old shed on a friends newly acquired property, Made some CROW bourbon, and a 13% rye bourbon, purchased a 2nd barrel and started making 100% corn whiskey to fill it. I bunged that barrel 53 weeks after I bunged my first barrel. Knowing little to nothing about electrical wiring I dove in and built a power controller because running the still in the winter when I have most free time, I got tired of filling propane tanks every 3rd weekend, and running the still with the garage door open. I made a mistake that cost me a few bucks, but I learned, with the help of more fine folks on here and resolved it.
Now, not even two years into the hobby, I've got a modular rig I couldn't be happier with. I've made some good friends and helped out others. Ive built another controller and shipped it half way across the country, to someone I never met face to face, bought a barrel for a member and shipped it to him to save him a few bucks in exchange for all he'd done to advance my knowledge of the craft.
Along the way with mentoring from a few of the fine folks on here, some of which took a while for me to warm up to, some of whom have got the ban hammer, I've improved my understanding of the importance of controlled fermentation temperature, and just overall patience in all aspects of the craft.
Like TB I've found myself answering IMs, emails, and even text messages from members helping them improve their own processes, stills, and controllers.
When I first started this hobby, I wished I had a stilling buddy, but I've found a few that are in my shed virtually, they've been there when I mash, when I strip, and spirit, I've shared my notes, my lessons learned, and my knowledge gained for nothing more than returning the favors I've found on this forum.
I hope that someday life slows down enough to get to meet a few of the fine folks on here, (and some that cant post any more but still read) in person and share a dram.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
NorthWoodsAb
Swill Maker

Post by NorthWoodsAb »

I'll bite as well. Just saw this post yday and debated responding.
Grew up with my Dad distilling in the basement most Saturdays when I was a kid. That was in the 60's.
In mid 90's 2 buddies built a SS 20-25L still, 1 was a millwright that had access to SS and the ability to Weld it up, the other had a recipe but no history with distilling, Buddy with the recipe and I worked together at the time and I had a garage and a vague but surprisingly accurate recollection of how to run a still. First batch turned out to be pure shit, ran a chain saw like you wouldn't believe, but I wouldn't drink it. I did know it was nothing close to what The Old Man made in the basement. Knew nothing about cuts, knew enough to throw out the first 250ml but that was it. Tails??? What's that?? We ran it till nothing came out of the worm. Did I mention it was ALL SS, not a scrap of copper in it? (Copper will poison you, you know!!) The lads drank that swill and I cut firewood with my share. We ran a few batches that winter, the lads moved on, took the still and I never dwelled upon it, but it was always in the back of my mind.
I found HD site about 8-10 years ago, just to feed my fantasy and see if one could really make a libation at home that could rival store bought, and figure out where I'd fucked up with the lads recipe back in the 90's.
Sorry about the prologue.
2 or 3 years I bought at still, " all ready to go", very similar to what Deplorable bought, but 3"copper ( I'd learned a thing or 2 hare") and a big boiler 100L. ( the 50L boiler I had agreed to purchase over the phone was no longer available when I got there 3 hrs later) 20L or 100L??? Went for the big boy.
Made a couple batches of Bird Watchers, first 1 with turbo yeast, knew immediately the wash didn't smell right, product didn't think taste right to me but others did not object to getting smashed on it. Realized that my PC was not up to snuff and that is when Deplorable and Twisted Brick came in to help fix my situation.
Started making rum. Now that's the ticket for newbies.
Easy, real tasty by 4th-5th generation, still not the taste I've been chasing, but way better than store bought. 2 days ago I bought a bottle of Gibsons 12 yr,. After 2 went down and pulled a dram of 1 yr old rum out of corney keg in my basement, no comparison. Really didn't think I'd gotten there yet but proof was in my glass.
To the newbs with doubts, or any newer distiller, that thinks YOUR product is not up to snuff. Taste a 1 or 2 year old sample of your own and compare it to 10/12/18 yr old that you pay a premium for. First thing you will smell from commercial bottle is heads, that we normally discard. In the morning you'll notice an absence of hangover. You have good stuff no impurities.
Cheers Friends
SDEngr1
Novice

Post by SDEngr1 »

As an engineer I always loved science and process. Being somewhat of a prepper brought me into the distillation hobby. I absolutely love the fermentation and distillation processes and constantly take detailed notes and try tweaking things constantly to see the outcome. I impatiently wait for the fermentation to end then dive into the distillation only to be saddened I have to start all over again. I've learned so much off of Youtube watching George, Jessie, etc. and truly appreciate them sharing their knowledge and love of the craft! I really appreciate this site as it has an almost endless supply of knowledge. My other love is cooking for many of the same reasons.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

SDEngr1 wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:02 pm As an engineer I always loved science and process…
As a (retired) systems engineer myself with a background in oil & gas production processes as well as integration of mechanical systems in aircraft production, originating in dairy farming followed by construction plumbing, I agree that this hobby incorporates my knowledge base well. Added to that, I brewed in a local brewpub for a while as a hobby, helping the owner build marketshare as microbreweries were in a startup here. It all falls into place, and indeed the prize(s) are some nice, rewarding spirits that I and my family and friends enjoy as well.

Practice your skills and remember the “continuing education” here. Soon, you’ll have a cabinet full of personalized prizes too.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
welly
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by welly »

Go on, I'll add my so far brief journey.

I've been home brewing beer since around 2011 although I did start in the mid 90s when I was a student and with some regret after making a couple of batches from LME, I didn't pursue it. I wish I had, I suspect my life might be very different if I had.

Got (back) into home brewing after a breakup with a girlfriend and bought a kettle and a brew in a bag kit. I made beer. It was ok, I didn't know what I was doing but it was ok. Then I didn't brew again for about another year. Then I started brewing again and pretty much didn't stop from that point. I made all kinds of beer, won a couple of awards, started a microbrewery etc. Lately I've not brewed a batch of beer since around July last year in my microbrewery (long story).

Always enjoyed spirits/liquor.. single malt whisky in particular, rum being my second choice, gin being the third and being an inquisitive type, I've considered giving distilling a go for many years but it has always felt a bit out of reach for a humble brewer. I was in France on holiday last year and went to a calvados distillery, and my interest in giving distilling a go was piqued and decided when I got home I'd definitely look more into it.

October last year, I bought an air still. I was only going to dabble in distilling.. nothing more. Made a sugar wash, made something approaching vodka. It wasn't great but it wasn't awful. I realised with my two measly bottles that wouldn't be enough. I had to go bigger.

And look at me now. I've got a 50L keg still with an onion head, a shotgun condenser, 65L of molasses wash on the go and another 10L batch of sugar wash to experiment with on the air still. And I've got another 25kg of molasses sitting waiting to be turned into rum when the current batch finishes.

I'm beginning to think I enjoy this more than making beer. There is something pretty magical about it.
Beerswimmer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Beerswimmer »

I started homebrewing in the mid 1990's with friends. Everything I knew I learned from books. I kept brewing as I was sent from duty station to duty station, getting better all the time. I even won medals at homebrew competitions! The judges never knew that I never upgraded my cheap and tiny equipment! I still had, and still do have, the $20 10 gallon aluminum pot, the 5 gallon plastic buckets, and 10 gallon cooler mash tun. I still use my old gear for brewing! Around 2006 I started to dabble with distilling just as a fun winter project, really just to see if I could get anything drinkable. I used a steel pot and lid that I drilled a hole in, and had a roll of copper tubing that I used as the worm. It worked! I kept doing it and made all kinds of, well, crap. I tossed the heads, but like others have said that was about it. Never heard of cuts. Found this site, and a few others and read until I fell asleep most nights. I bought an 8 gallon milk can with a terrible column for my Christmas present. Then I made a new copper head and taught myself how to solder. That's when I thought I was really humming! I made everything! Distilling was more fun than brewing! Vodka or neutral was never something I was too interested in, I wanted flavor. Rum turned out to be my favorite, and I wanted to make funky Jamaican style ester bomb rums. Started having dunder pits in my basement and garage to my wife's horror. Then I watched Larry's humper thumper videos and wanted even more. I bought a used keg from a neighbor that wanted to make a smoker out of it, was gifted another from a co-worker. I bought used pickle barrels to have fermentors big enough for multiple stripping runs. Yummy taught me how to make the best thumper inlet ever. Truckinbutch taught me how to use the 2 kegs for stripping bigger batches. Then I bought my first 5 gallon barrel and filled it. Then another. Now I have a 26 gallon milk can and use a keg as a thumper. I made a full on Cousins Method high ester rum it that was absolutely insane! I had my last and hopefully last move 2 years ago and now I really want to get a solera system with barrels going in my garage. I really want to make another thumper inlet and do more rums, but I also want to get another big ass boiler and use my 26 gal milk can as it's thumper just so I can fill barrels easier. Hopefully I'll start playing with electric heating and ditch the propane in the future. My journey is now a quest to fill barrels, or make a batch of something I've never tried.
Ut Alii Vivant!!!!
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Great recap Beerswimmer. The satisfaction from building and the gifts from a legitimate barrel are sure to drag one down the rabbit hole for sure.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Yeah some good stories in this thread , I've enjoyed them all.
Maybe one day I'll add my story if I get time.