From real ale to whiskey

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

warx
Novice

From real ale to whiskey

Post by warx »

Hi all,

Started brewing real ale (British style cask) about a year ago and now hypothetically looking to try turning some of it into whiskey. I just brewed a Fullers ESB clone boosted a tad to 6.3% (closer to their bottle version). Now I'm wondering if I should cask condition it before distilling. Fun stuff!
Ben
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: From real ale to whiskey

Post by Ben »

Welcome.

You might read up on distilling hopped things. Normally distillers beer is un-hopped. Try it anyway, who knows you might like it.
:)
TwoSheds
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by TwoSheds »

And you'll certainly get more bang-for-your-buck taking it to the cask after distilling, but some have said wood on their low wines helps, so maybe?

Regardless, it'll be a lot smaller after distilling so takes up a lot less storage space. That's one of the reasons I like distilling over brewing (plus it's self-disinfecting at cask strength.)

But with our small equipment and batches it's fun to experiment! Report back with what you try.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Boiler makers in your future.
Jake over at Rogue does a nice (or at least a better) job taking their Dead Guy Ale and turning it into Dead Guy Whiskey.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
warx
Novice

Post by warx »

Thanks all!

Sorry was not clear about the cask; I condition [secondary] my ales in stainless casks and was wondering about whether to bother with this step for the ale that will be distilled. It basically is just a bit of corn sugar and the remaining yeast kicks off again just enough to carbonate to 1.2 vols (no force carbonation) and not for flavor induction. I can't really think that would make a difference.

Also, I am going up the Oregon coast next month so perhaps I'll try to stop my Rogue and ask! Thanks for the tip. I also hope to hit Westward in Portland which does a few beer whiskeys. I was inspired by my old local brewery Adnams that uses real ale to create Spirit of Broadside.